This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jun 2006 08:48:16 am    Post subject:

Certainly does sound interesting.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jun 2006 10:00:37 am    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
Okay. Well, I think I'll make my RPG(*still not gonna release the name yet) where when you do battle, whatever you are battling, and wherever you are battling, the thing you are battling will either be one level lower or higher or the same as you. Something like that.

*I do have a name and I already have a splash screen. I have sort of a story line. Don't know if it's worth playing. And my maps will be interesting. They'll probably be on the homescreen, but they will be very interesting if they are. Ummm...how does the name Jeremiah sound for a main character name?
[post="81306"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'd make the stats of the enemy be based on your level. like:
HP_enemy = base_HP + constant * level . Some enemies could have higher base stats than others, so some areas would be more challenging, but you will still get an enemy fit for you.

Short said, enemies DO grow with you, but slower, and some enemies start stronger than others.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 12:48:00 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering if anybody had seen games that experimented with increasing enemy difficulty in realtime. Or at least some function of realtime where enemy toughness increased regardless of whether your grind or not.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 01:17:07 pm    Post subject:

TES Morrowind spawns enemies in the world depending on your level. Not sure if that fits what you mean.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 05 Jun 2006 01:44:18 pm    Post subject:

IVAN. Here.

That is, the enemies remain challenging no matter what level you are. And the game is hard. Very hard. The developers say that if you beat the game, it's a bug, because beating the game is said to be impossible.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2006 04:57:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 07:27:12 pm    Post subject:

What about having to revisit past areas? Good, bad, or ugly?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 08:22:53 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind if it's done properly, but it's not one of my favorite features. Good way to add lots of game time, but has the potential to be abused.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 08:56:47 pm    Post subject:

Everything depends on how much space you allow the gam to have. Let's say TES IV Oblivion (> 4.5 GB), they (Bethesda Softworks) say there are 200 different dungeons. False, dungeon 1 is room #1,2,3,4,5,6, then dungeon 2 is room #2,4,6,3,5,1, dungeon 3 is... So it's pretty much boring for a game that size (dungeons I mean, not storyline or god-like graphics)

But for a calc game, then yes you could, but you should still try to add diversity or at least randomness (depending on the size)

Last edited by Guest on 13 Oct 2006 08:57:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Oct 2006 10:06:32 pm    Post subject:

No long and toturous passages. An area in Pokémon that comes to mind is Lavender Tower.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Oct 2006 10:13:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 07:29:34 am    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
No long and toturous passages. An area in Pokémon that comes to mind is Lavender Tower.
[post="89817"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Heh, or when you have to go around swimming to places, which can seem to take forever, if you keep getting into fights ever 3-4 moves... :/
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 02:14:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't like it when you have to go all the way across the entire map and then back and then over it again just to complete quests. If you want to introduce the majority of the map near the beginning so you are constantly revisiting past areas that is fine, but forcing the user to go to the extreme sides of the map in a row really bugs me, especially with fights all the time. It's almost like forced grinding.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 06:17:32 pm    Post subject:

At least put teleporation/rapid transit if the map is huge. Like Fable would have been horrible if you couldn't go anywhere instantly.

And Ranman's Ultima V remake on 68k has an enormous map! it's gigantic. At least there's some form of teleportation so you don't have to travel too much.

I think big maps/areas are GOOD because:

1.) a variety of places for training if you do need to do some grinding

2.) a variety of scenery

3.) a variety of places for side quests to take place.

4.) over all impressiveness :)

I think the major bad thing is the grinding though.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 10:50:45 pm    Post subject:

In Earthbound there were a few places I liked to revisit because of the items, but those were strictly voluntary visits. And no suprise battles in that game. And there were two teleport moves that could get you to any town in the game (the first required some open space to execute). I kind of like the idea of a "home base" in an RPG but I see how that could cause problems. Plus, I've never really seen that strategy used.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Oct 2006 06:07:39 am    Post subject:

In Morrowind i had a base where I could put my items and display them. In the new Pokemon games, you can put stuff like plushies and posters in your secret base. Those are two uses for a home base.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Oct 2006 08:03:10 am    Post subject:

If you have too much to carry around with you then you're not on an adventure.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 12:24:56 pm    Post subject:

Found it! The Grand list of Console RPG Clichés. Favorites...

Last Rule of Politics
Kingdoms are good. Empires are evil.

Thinking With The Wrong Head (Hiro Rule)
The hero will always be ready to fight to the death for any girl he met three seconds ago.

"My beloved peasant village!"
The hero's home town, city, slum, or planet will usually be annihilated before the end of the game, and often before the end of the opening scene.

The Compulsories
There's always a fire dungeon, an ice dungeon, a sewer maze, a misty forest, a derelict ghost ship, a mine, a glowing crystal maze, an ancient temple full of traps, a magic floating castle, and a technological dungeon.

Bed Bed Bed
A good night's sleep will cure all wounds, diseases, and disabilities, up to and including death.

Wait! That Was A Load-Bearing Boss!
Defeating a dungeon's boss creature will frequently cause the dungeon to collapse.

Law of Reverse Evolution (Zeboim Principle)
Any ancient civilizations are inexplicably much more advanced than the current one.

The Moral Of The Story (Ghaleon Rule)
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.

Arbor Day Rule
At some point, you're going to have to talk to a tree and do what it says.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 02:09:46 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
If you have too much to carry around with you then you're not on an adventure.
[post="89861"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
But what are you supposed to do when you come across the villain's hoard of gold/weapons/health potions? Surely you can't just retire and become a shopkeeper..
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 05:48:25 pm    Post subject:

It gets taken from you by the king. The best gear is found on bosses, so you only need some gold to rest and repair.

You can always carry the best items you've found, and you don't need anything else. If you die in combat you need better gear/skills/spells.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2006 05:51:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Nov 2006 06:27:25 pm    Post subject:

@Digitan: That's awesome! I'm tempted to make an RPG that breaks every one of those rules (e.g. you don't play as the chosen one, you play as their sidekick, the mystical sword of power is actually POWERFUL, not just a step up from your previous sword, etc.)
Kayshay

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2006 08:02:40 am    Post subject:

the whole magical/fantasy rpg, just bored me to death, becasue i just couldn't get into them, but one rpg i enjoyed was stick rpg but i was mad about the graphics.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement