This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
MeBeatYou

Posted: 18 May 2006 06:56:42 pm    Post subject:

Ok guys I had an idea and I figure I'll throw it out there.

I was browsing through the flash applications on Ti Calc and came across EEA. This gave me the idea of creating a new "os" that can calculate things such as the TI-89 does. I am not actually experienced the with TI-89 (so forgive me if I am wrong) but I'm pretty sure that you can type in equations such as (a simple example) "4x+3=7" and it will output "x=4" or "4". I think this would be a great idea for the 83+\84+ family to have, althought it can't slow down the calculator so much such as Unit Operations does on my 84+ SE (although I'm running that with a ton of other applications Very Happy ).

Ideas for the project itself:

-I apologize for giving out a project idea which I would be able to be little or no use to at all, considering I don't know a thing about assembly, which this would have to be in.

-There should be a key hook such as the Virtual Calc option on Omnicalc has. Pressing... On+2nd... or something like that would trigger the "OS", showing some sort of number or icon to show that the "OS" is on.

-Once in the "OS" there could be a menu with different useful functions such as factor (I mean such as quadratic functions, not like the Omnicalc factor option), and other useful commands like that maybe (feel free to throw out ideas)

-The main idea of my project is to recognize variables as variables and not as the number that is stored within them. That is why I think it should not actually replace the existing Operating System, because the normal OS of the calculator is nice too, in normal situations, I just would find it extremely convenient to have this "OS" available to me.

Any Feedback on this idea? I would really love to see this carried through if anyone would like to give it a shot.
Lyricalwolf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 May 2006 08:20:04 pm    Post subject:

Wow, i think this is a wonderful idea!
It would be an actual MATH OS... pretty sweet. If this would ever be completed, i would definitely jump on it and get it for my calc. It would be especially useful to all those in school... High School and College both.
Great idea. Love it
oh haha one thing though. I hope it wouldnt output what you have said...
MeBeatYou wrote:
"4x+3=7" and it will output "x=4" or "4"

I would hope that the output would be "x=1"!!! Smile
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 May 2006 08:25:07 pm    Post subject:

MeBeatYou wrote:
I am not actually experienced the with TI-89 (so forgive me if I am wrong) but I'm pretty sure that you can type in equations such as (a simple example) "4x+3=7" and it will output "x=4" or "4".
I forgive you my friend. You'd have to do the [font="courier new"]solve( function for that, because X might not actually be true. You're assuming that 4x+3=7 is a given (good assumption), which the calc does not. You have to tell it to solve it, or figure it out yourself (e.g. (4x+3=7)-3, returns 4x=4, etc)

It would nigh impossible to implement an entire CAS, if that's what you're suggesting. You may have the resources, but no one really knows how to build a CAS. Not even TI knew—they had to buy a company to do it for them. If you really would want to try, I'd study Giac, and see if you can figure out how it works.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 11:10:40 pm    Post subject:

http://vera.sf.net/

</shameless promotion>
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 May 2006 06:50:30 am    Post subject:

MeBeatYou wrote:
That is why I think it should not actually replace the existing Operating System, because the normal OS of the calculator is nice too, in normal situations, I just would find it extremely convenient to have this "OS" available to me.[post="79717"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I thought of that, but he wants an APP to do the job, not a new OS.
MeBeatYou

Posted: 19 May 2006 02:40:08 pm    Post subject:

Well actually, if you would like to replace the App entirely, that would work too. I just thought an app would be easier. I simply would like to see some sort of APP or OS that recognizes variables as variables and not as values. Even if it didn't do it on the homescreen, and provided a menu with all the different functions, that would still be splendid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone up for the job?

Last edited by Guest on 19 May 2006 02:40:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noob88

Posted: 30 May 2006 01:10:20 pm    Post subject:

Wow this would be the perfect thing for my algebra class :biggrin: . When I first got my calculator I used the letters as variables and kept getting an answer of 0. Heh it took me a while to catch on...

Anyways, great idea I hope you carry it through.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement