This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> Math and Science

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 18 May 2006 11:54:25 am    Post subject:

In Geometry class today, we went over a problem using the distance formula for 3 coordinates on a plane. Then it hit me. Fourth Dimension. Could that be the center point of all objects. I asked my teacher about it and she told me to write a book about it. Dry So now here I am, skipping lunch to get some ideas. What do you all think of idea? Just think about it. The fourth dimension is the point of intersection of all dimensions. Some people think of time as the fourth dimension, but I like my idea. Please give feedback. Should I write a book?

P.S. Anyone know how much patents cost?
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 12:30:08 pm    Post subject:

Maybe?

Have fun trying to understand this one Very Happy
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 18 May 2006 01:09:07 pm    Post subject:

eh?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 May 2006 01:39:19 pm    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
In Geometry class today, we went over a problem using the distance formula for 3 coordinates on a plane. Then it hit me. Fourth Dimension. Could that be the center point of all objects. I asked my teacher about it and she told me to write a book about it.  Dry So now here I am, skipping lunch to get some ideas. What do you all think of idea? Just think about it. The fourth dimension is the point of intersection...[post="79646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Somehow, I don't think of the fourth dimension as a point. It's just one more direction. I don't see what would be so special about it, but I may just be blind.
trigkid213

Posted: 18 May 2006 02:04:46 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone read Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott? It's a really good aid in helping you to visualize the fourth dimension. It's the narration of the life of a shape living in the 2-D world of Flatland. He is visited by an apparition from the 3-D world, who takes him out of Flatland so he can see it from above. He explains dimensions like this:

Say you live in a 2-D world and you see a circle approaching. You can only see the edge; you can't see the interior. However, if you live in a 3-D world, you can see the whole interior of the circle. Likewise, if you see a sphere in the 3-D world you can only see the surface; if you are in 4-D you can see the whole interior.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 03:12:14 pm    Post subject:

I've always read that time is the 4th dimension, except for strings which have a bagillion dimensions.
+ZERO+

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 03:53:58 pm    Post subject:

wow... confusing.... I like the idea that time is the fourth dimension... then what is the 5th?!
Raster

Posted: 18 May 2006 03:58:19 pm    Post subject:

The 5 dimensions: X,Y,Z,T, and randomized selection of our own minds (freewill)
+ZERO+

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 03:59:54 pm    Post subject:

if we ever begin to see the 4th dimension, the world will become == null
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:02:04 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='+ZERO+' date='May 18 2006, 09:34 PM']wow... confusing.... I like the idea that time is the fourth dimension... then what is the 5th?!
[post="79671"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]Some say its an extra space dimension, that we cant see.
+ZERO+

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:05:06 pm    Post subject:

funnn......

Quote:
Mom: Where you goin?
Me: The 5th Dimen--
Mom: NOOO!!!
[Boom]
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:05:07 pm    Post subject:

reĀ·search

v. intr.

To engage in or perform research.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Four-DimensionalGeometry.html
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:10:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Has anyone read Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott? It's a really good aid in helping you to visualize the fourth dimension. It's the narration of the life of a shape living in the 2-D world of Flatland. He is visited by an apparition from the 3-D world, who takes him out of Flatland so he can see it from above. He explains dimensions like this:

Say you live in a 2-D world and you see a circle approaching. You can only see the edge; you can't see the interior. However, if you live in a 3-D world, you can see the whole interior of the circle. Likewise, if you see a sphere in the 3-D world you can only see the surface; if you are in 4-D you can see the whole interior.

Yes, for me that was an excellent helper in understanding spacial dimensions.

I hate to be this cynical, but frankly p2b, you really don't know what you are talking about. Honestly, people with PhD's in Physics are working on this problem. For starters: a dimension is not a point.

Also, the order of dimensions isn't exclusive:
Quote:
Some people think of time as the fourth dimension, but I like my idea.

It's not like if your idea is right, time is out of the running Wink

Quote:
Should I write a book?

No. As I mentioned, actual Physicists are working on this, and they haven't come up with anything. You just had an idea, without any proof or testing of it, and have immediately decided said scientists are wrong. For starter's, I'd reccomend having graduated from Highschool. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 18 May 2006 04:14:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyricalwolf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:13:50 pm    Post subject:

ummmmmmm....P2B you know that your not going to write a book on it so why even suggest it? Patents? obviously your teacher was being sarcastic when she told you to write a book....... Cool
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 May 2006 04:27:49 pm    Post subject:

I like F-Theory: that there are 10 spacial dimensions and 2 of time.

The only other point I know about that I can bring up is the Pythagorean Theorem (a^2+b^2=c^2) extends into extra spacial dimensions. a^2+b^2+c^2=d^2 and so on.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 18 May 2006 05:05:59 pm    Post subject:

Great sig, Radical Pi. And I think the 4th dimension is just an extra direction. We can't comprehend it, because we can only think in 3 dimensions, because that is all we see. However, most living things have 3 dimensions. Length, width, and height. But then again, if we can't see the 4th dimension, how would we know it's there?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 May 2006 05:16:52 pm    Post subject:

So a triangle has 4 sides? I know I'm missing something here.

I have also read Flatland, and it is really eye-opening (except the social satire, which I didn't really care for). What if there are four-dimensional people looking into our sad, small little volume?

I really enjoy thinking about higher dimensional things. For example, You need two zero-dimensional points to define a line, and you need three points to define a plane. You need four non-collinear points to define a volume, and you would need five to define whatever comes after.

Another interesting tidbit: Two lines (1D) intersect to form one point (0D). Two planes (3D) intersect to form one line. Two volumes (3D) intersect to form a plane. Two 4D spaces (or whatever) could intersect to form a volume. Very strange. Also, a glome is composed of two spheres curved into 4 dimensions. I could start a blog for this stuff.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 18 May 2006 05:29:18 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
Quote:

Yes, for me that was an excellent helper in understanding spacial dimensions.

I hate to be this cynical, but frankly p2b, you really don't know what you are talking about. Honestly, people with PhD's in Physics are working on this problem. For starters: a dimension is not a point.

Also, the order of dimensions isn't exclusive:
Quote:
Some people think of time as the fourth dimension, but I like my idea.

It's not like if your idea is right, time is out of the running Wink

Quote:
Should I write a book?

No. As I mentioned, actual Physicists are working on this, and they haven't come up with anything. You just had an idea, without any proof or testing of it, and have immediately decided said scientists are wrong. For starter's, I'd reccomend having graduated from Highschool. Wink
[post="79680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't say scientists were wrong. I just said that I like my idea. And no, I probably won't write a book. Just a thought that occured from my teacher.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 05:42:16 pm    Post subject:

SilverCalcKnight wrote:
Great sig, Radical Pi. And I think the 4th dimension is just an extra direction. We can't comprehend it, because we can only think in 3 dimensions, because that is all we see. However, most living things have 3 dimensions. Length, width, and height. But then again, if we can't see the 4th dimension, how would we know it's there?
[post="79690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
We can know it's not there because nothing has ever been detected to move in a fourth dimension (which would appear as an object or at least an atom disappearing or reappering). Therefore, the simplest explanation is that it simply doesn't exist.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 May 2006 05:59:41 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
We can know it's not there because nothing has ever been detected to move in a fourth dimension (which would appear as an object or at least an atom disappearing or reappering). Therefore, the simplest explanation is that it simply doesn't exist.  [post="79698"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
At least an atom? I think they're studying much smaller than that: quarks at the biggest. I haven't been to FermiLab in a while, so I've forgotten what they said. Don't quote me on this, but I think perhaps they are detecting quantum level disappearances and reappearances.

Here are some things to puzzle over:

If you shine a light through a transparent 3D object onto a 2D surface, you get a 2D image that changes when you move the 3D object. (Think of something like a discoball).
If you shine a light through a transparent 4D object...

One current theory is that the extra spacial dimensions are "curled up" so small we can't see them. For instance, you see a tightrope as one dimension, right? It just goes back and forth. But an ant, which can crawl around the tightrope, has access to an extra dimension.

Last edited by Guest on 18 May 2006 06:00:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement