This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
magus57

Posted: 15 May 2006 09:25:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm thinking of creating a RPG using Basic programming, but I don't know where to begin. So far, I've got a program to reconfigure the screen size. I also made a pic (title screen), but I don't know how to make it so that it will go to the next command by pressing enter.

Basically, I need help with the following things:
-Battle Menu (and any other types of menus)
-Learn which button corresponds to what (I only need 2nd, Mode, Delete, and Math buttons along with arrow keys) and how to program them
-Learn how to randomize (and create) enemies/enemy battles
-Learn how to creat game map
-Learn how to do level up/attack/defense/health system
-Learn how to create towns

I need to know all of this because I want to recreate the old game for Sega Master System, Miracle Warriors, onto my calc.

BTW, I have a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.

I also would like to know if it is possible to use grayscale on a Basic program, since I know it's possible with assembly programs.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2006 09:32:24 pm    Post subject:

you should try to download the basic rpg games (simpler ones) on ticalc.org or here. look at the source code and see if you can understand and then try to make a game. it's better to work off examples, and if you need help then, this is a good place to ask for it.

no, you can't use grayscale in basic, maybe with xlib, but it's just not fast enough.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2006 09:33:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 May 2006 09:40:39 pm    Post subject:

magus57 wrote:
-Learn which button corresponds to what (I only need 2nd, Mode, Delete, and Math buttons along with arrow keys) and how to program them  [post="79392"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Second is in the second row and first column (21)
Alpha is in the third row and first column (32)
Enter is in the tenth row and fifth column (105)
The pattern is pretty easy, although I must admit I didn't realize it for months.

Greyscale is technically possible in basic, but for all practical purposes impossible.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2006 09:45:54 pm    Post subject:

Whew, it's going to be tough to explain all of that. Just take the advise of the folks above (who beat me to it) and don't be afraid to ask for help along the way. To set it up so that it will continue by pressing enter just set up a pause or if you want just set it up so that it does getkey until the key you want them to press to continue is pressed.

Maybe you should do, to get you started after taking shortround's advice, is to write down all of what you need to have in the program or what you already have. Helps me when I'm writing one so I know what I have done or still need to do.

Hope that helped and I didn't give any taboo advice.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2006 09:48:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 17 May 2006 11:09:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but I don't know how to make it so that it will go to the next command by pressing enter.

Simple:

Repeat getkey=105:End

Quote:
I also would like to know if it is possible to use grayscale on a Basic program, since I know it's possible with assembly programs.

http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/tutorials...n/basicgrey.htm

Quote:
Basically, I need help with the following things:
-Battle Menu (and any other types of menus)
-Learn which button corresponds to what (I only need 2nd, Mode, Delete, and Math buttons along with arrow keys) and how to program them
-Learn how to randomize (and create) enemies/enemy battles
-Learn how to creat game map
-Learn how to do level up/attack/defense/health system
-Learn how to create towns

Hmm... You might look at some of the later tutorials here: http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/bt83plm.htm maybe that would help you...

If you have any specific questions, we can help with that. Hopefully some of the places I pointed to can assist you with understanding some of the basics...

Last edited by Guest on 17 May 2006 11:14:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 18 May 2006 07:42:30 am    Post subject:

Wouldnt a Pause be better if you only want to halt until Enter is pressed?

Also, i suggest that you take things 1 step at a time. Initially you should be concerntrating on getting some of the key elements working independantly. A good idea would be to make a series of small programs that do such things as:

Detect a keypress and take action
Draw a sprite with movement
Draw a map on the screen (possibility of scrolling)
Display a string
Have more than 1 thing happen per loop

Those kinds of things are essential to game creation imo. Once you have those down you can start to piece them together.

You must be careful not to dive into the deep end, especially if you are just starting out. That only leads to frustration.
Lyricalwolf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 May 2006 03:26:21 pm    Post subject:

I argree with Tr1p1ea. It sounds as though you are relatively new to BASIC programming, so you should start out by making small programs that do simple things first.
negativezero48

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 May 2006 08:01:17 pm    Post subject:

uuuummmmmm....

if you are not sure how to make the program wait for the user to press a key, no offense, it sounds like you are not quite ready to begin making RPG's. I would advise practicing making some simpler programs first.
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 23 May 2006 08:01:06 pm    Post subject:

I would agree. Try to make a game where you try and guess a random number (I know, there are a billion of these. But it's a good way to get started)

Another thing you could do is to give the above suggestion a twist :roll:

Edit: how about a Quadrillion Very Happy ?

Last edited by Guest on 28 May 2006 10:53:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 May 2006 07:10:10 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='May 23 2006, 07:42 PM']I would agree. Try to make a game where you try and guess a random number (I know, there are a billion of these. But it's a good way to get started)

Another thing you could do is to give the above suggestion a twist  Rolling Eyes
[post="80294"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]
A billion is probably an understatement! I made one the first day I got a calc. This person, unless completly new to programming, probably has done that already.

There's a couple other ratherr easy one's to try. Draw, Snake, etc.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 28 May 2006 10:53:03 am    Post subject:

No offence, but judging by the way this topic is going it could do him the ever so slightest bit of good Rolling Eyes .

Off topic (sort of):
In ti-basic, how can you make the snake a specific length (like the ASM snake) without using a list (or matrix)? is it possible?
I've made a snake, but for the sake of speed removed that part. You just keep getting longer :biggrin:
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 May 2006 12:04:46 pm    Post subject:

Without a list or matrix? I'm not sure but you could probably set it so it turns a point off using the same system as you do for movement. I'm not positive...an interesting idea I'll mess with.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 29 May 2006 03:01:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote name='Ti-Ho' date='May 28 2006, 11:34 AM']No offence, but judging by the way this topic is going it could do him the ever so slightest bit of good Rolling Eyes .

Off topic (sort of):
In ti-basic, how can you make the snake a specific length (like the ASM snake) without using a list (or matrix)? is it possible?
I've made a snake, but for the sake of speed removed that part. You just keep getting longer :biggrin:
[post="80862"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/quote]

You could make like A,B the coordinates of the head of the snake and then do this:
[font="courier"]
Pxl-On(B-1,A
Pxl-On(B-2,A
Pxl-On(B-3,A

That way you have a snake 3 pixels long. You would have to change it up when it goes vertical though. Make it A-1, A-2, A-3.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 May 2006 03:06:46 pm    Post subject:

That will not work at all P2B. It makes the snake continuously linear. Plus that would take forever to turn on each individual pixle one at a time.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 May 2006 06:51:16 pm    Post subject:

Yeah that's what I had been thinking but realized what you said. Haven't had time to work on it, will do now. I'll report back.

[Edit 1] Is there any particular program you want this for or is it just to see what you can do? I think I found a way, will include details later.

[Edit 2] I have figured out one way though it is really slow and bad looking, also doesn't work perfectly but works a little bit. Anyway, here it is. I may give the full code in a game, sort of hard to use it out of context.

Delvar C
While C!=L+1 While C doesn't equal what length you want...
C+1->C
End
Pt-On(F,G,2
Delvar C
A->F:B->G Put this directly after your movement loop.

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2006 06:40:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 30 May 2006 06:42:39 pm    Post subject:

But how will you erase the points at the end? (keeping in mind that there is no reference to the location in a list/matrix) Cool
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 May 2006 07:22:38 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it gets kind of confusing without seeing the whole program. This is with my game where the whole screen is black. The program already turned the point off immediatly before. That is the turning "off" of the point. I could give more details if needed.

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2006 07:25:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 31 May 2006 04:23:39 pm    Post subject:

You could just show the code that erases the last dot of the snake (snake is a line moving around by turning pixels on in the direction inputed or already heading), then try to do the same thing without a list or matrix
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 May 2006 05:45:17 pm    Post subject:

...We're having problems communicating. I'll just give the whole program. I basically did it and showed you. What I did was I didn't use lists or matrices at all. I just used what was being stored into the lists, the coordinates, and then instead stored them into F and G. It works, basically, they same though I'm still trying to make it actually grow, but the code turns the point off. Goes slowly after a while.

Last edited by Guest on 31 May 2006 06:12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 31 May 2006 10:04:41 pm    Post subject:

Fairly decent program (really)...

question: With a list (gasp!), what if you just stored the directions, then the last point into 2 variables (or another list)? Then you would only have half the list size.

Last edited by Guest on 31 May 2006 10:06:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement