This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 20 May 2006 02:05:11 pm    Post subject:

what error did you run into with real(?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 May 2006 02:54:04 pm    Post subject:

Sage Orator, you need to have xLIB installed for the [font="courier new"]real() arguments to work correctly. Smile
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 May 2006 03:43:44 pm    Post subject:

Huh, I thought I did, maybe I didn't install it correctly. I'll try reinstalling it.

Edit: :blush: I had unenabled it by accident. It works fine now, read me definitly needed in the final version, though I'm sure it will be. It's just a little confusing. It's a very good game though.

Couple of things that I would recommend. First, when you press 2nd in the first selection screen it forces you to press enter to do anything, not sure if this is intentional but is certainly annoying. Second, for the build selection it would help to have it so it wraps back from worker to barracks.

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2006 04:23:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 04:27:59 pm    Post subject:

oops :blush: ...
As I'm still coding/testing my program, there are a few extra pause commands in there (so I can reach a certain point in the code quickly). They'll be taken out once I've finished coding that section.

Btw, do you have any suggestions for optimizing either for size or speed?

Another problem is the excessive use of the Archive. Should I take the code that unarchives/archives stuff?
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 22 May 2006 04:50:01 pm    Post subject:

Just got my calc back. Will download as soon as possible.

Glad to be back on the team,
-SilverCalcKnight-
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 05:00:09 pm    Post subject:

Quick question: In a new update, should I make it so you have to select a building to create units, or should I leave it as it is right now, and have you create units from the build tab?
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 22 May 2006 05:11:39 pm    Post subject:

I say change it. That way you can have multiple barracks and factories and can choose which one you want to build from.

Edit: In my book, archiving!=problem. Unless you do it more often than necessary.

Last edited by Guest on 22 May 2006 05:13:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2006 06:21:18 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I haven't been able to look at the code much, I've been working on a lot of things. Nothing special yet but I removed one of the goto:lbl's, Lbl 4, and added it in at the goto. It works perfectly fine, saves 2 ram and a split second of speed.
I don't think that it's a pause, doesn't act like a pause at all, it then takes you to info as well as alpha ends the turn. I would recommend doing that for a couple others.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 06:44:23 pm    Post subject:

It only un-archives at the start, and archives when you quit.

As for building multiple barrackes, it's probably not going to happen. You see, each building has 100 health, and this info is stored in a list. Also, it's not ecconomically (in the game) logical to build more than 1 barracks, as units create instantaneously (though probably should be changed).

If I do end up changing this, it's going to be extremely hard to create code that will delay unit creation without max-ing out the list capacity (over exageration, but seriously. I want to keep the list as small as possible, and so far it's at 113*). Limiting the size of the program to make room for the implimitation of an AI is also crutial, as is the room to allow me to finish the rest of the code.

*:again, this is the version I'm working with, as this is a constantly changing project. Most of your advice is very productive and useful if not just ever so slightly out of date.

Thanks for your help (once again :blush: ). Please keep giving me feedback as it really motivates me to work, and also makes the game much more fun when it is finally release.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 May 2006 08:00:56 pm    Post subject:

I'll keep trying to help, just make sure to keep us updated with the major changes!
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 24 May 2006 08:24:50 pm    Post subject:

Here's an update of what's been changed (not much major coding, but a lot of structural work)

I need someone to help me create code that will move units.
It must do this:

1. *select a unit
  2. *move the cursor to the desired location and press 2nd to issue move command
  3. pathfind a quick route to that location without colliding into obsticals
  4. if an enemy is in the way, attack it (I can create the battle engine)
Optimization (of current code) is also crutial

note:* means that it's already programmed
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 24 May 2006 08:57:28 pm    Post subject:

Use the script I sent you, just make sure the character is moving towards the destination. Really, that code will work for almost anything.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 27 May 2006 11:58:30 am    Post subject:

Oops, I forgot to upload the new version...
Here it is
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 May 2006 10:00:16 pm    Post subject:

Just downloaded it...I'll test it after I do some things.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 31 May 2006 05:13:45 pm    Post subject:

Any thoughts on the new code?
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 11:53:37 am    Post subject:

Sorry I haven't been updating...
I'm going to be gone all June, so progress will halt temporarily.

While I'm gone, please try to keep this topic alive. Discuss anything you want (about the topic, of course), and post suggestions for features I should add/remove.

Optimize, optimize, optimize. Please find every scrap of inefficient code you can, and post them here, as well as what to change them to.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 02:13:47 am    Post subject:

We haven't been keeping this topic alive. Anyway I found some time to work on this. I started out with some simple optimizations that I hope work okay, haven't tested absolutly everything. I will though. Here it is, I'll keep updating as I go.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 08 Jul 2006 11:51:27 am    Post subject:

Got back yesterday.

Just downloaded it your update. I'll find time to look over the changes.

Some changes I've thought up:

• workers are no longer tasked to collect resources. Instead, you just build more resource collecting buildings to get more resources (or perhaps just garrison workers into a resource collecting building to improve output).
  • buildings must be built on a square with a worker on it. The worker will be consumed in the process (or not)
  • buildings no longer have 'hp'. They will run under the same battle engine as unit-unit battles.
  • The goal is no longer to destroy the enemy command base. It will be changed to be simply to eliminate all everything.
  • no more repair function for buildings (as they don't have 'hp' anymore)
  • You will be able to build many buildings of the same type.
  • instead of putting units dirrectly onto any location on your territory, units will pop out in 1 turn in an open square adjacent to the creation building.
  • each player now starts with 3 workers instead of 5
what do you think of them, and why?
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jul 2006 01:36:39 pm    Post subject:

Some stuff doesn't work and I'm trying to figure out why. It's going pretty slowly and so far no luck.

Anyway I like the idea of buildings only being built on places with workers, especially if you decide to do the first because it gives them a purpose or at least will make it seem like it.

I also like the idea of the buildings no longer having hp, as well as no repair function. It simplifies the code, or at least if you do it how I think you will, and at the same time makes the game harder. I also like having only three workers in the beginning for the same reasons.
WikiGuru

Elite

Posted: 09 Jul 2006 04:53:09 pm    Post subject:

If it doesn't work, it probably hasn't been coded yet. I've implemented some of these changes, and the program size has decreased dramatically.

However, these changes will require me to change the data structure, so it will be a while before I can get a partially-working update.

I've been thinking about storing items in LDSAV as complex numbers. It will reduce the number of elements and make the data easier to enterpret, but the amount of memory for the list will be almost double what it is now.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jul 2006 04:54:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement