This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 10:26:24 am    Post subject:

This is the fourth installment of the Age of Darkness series. This game will have 8x8 map tiles, 16x16 enemy sprites (so far, 32 of them). So far, the released version only has a few maps, and the tiles are stored in binary, which the rendering for that is slow, and will be soon ported to hex. The mapping system will also be changed from its current form of matrices, and changed over to strings.

You can find the current version of it here: http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/ainfo/6.htm

Some screenshots:

That is a pic of the title screen, it always displays a random enemy, to make it a lil more interesting...

This is what the maps look like now, because of the length of time it takes to load. Now that I have the hex sprite prog, it should load considerably faster.

This is what I am shooting for. I had it like that last september, but that was lost to a RAM clear...

And for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.tifreakware.calcgames.org/downl...wspriteaodr.zip

That is the enemy sprites. I haven't had a chance to fix them all yet, but it should still give you an idea on what is going on. Smile please run pgm VIEWER.

And if you are wondering, I am going to be doing the project in as much BASIC as possible, so far the only ASM prog that I am going to use is RESOURCE. Hopefully I will have a new demo in a few weeks...
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 23 Apr 2006 11:39:38 am    Post subject:

Alright. I'm downloading it right now. It looks pretty nice. Hope it has good gameplay! Those are some nice sprites!
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 02 May 2006 01:13:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, I have 18 of an unknown number of sprites programmed on there, and here is a screenshot of it:

I also figured out how I did the life bar before, so that will also be put back on.

I hope to have the following things completed for the next demo:

At least 40 sections of maps complete, maps are 11x7 sprites
At least 1 town to walk into, and roam about in it
Completely new stats screen

Any suggestions? Please remember, that when I started this project, I wanted it in as pure BASIC as possible, and that still holds true. So, no "Change it over to xlib" comments plz. That will be for the next AOD game... Wink
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 19 May 2006 01:06:13 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I have noticed a lack of interest in this project... I hope it is not because people think this game is slow, or think that I am a n00b...

I also have the game set up now that it will allow for over 160 tiles, though right now there is only, 21 tiles in use, so this allows for a lot more to be added.

Also, this game will be intended for the 83+SE, or any of that line that run at the full 15mhz. The TI-83+ will play it, but the map loading is terribly slow. the 83+SE allows for fast map rendering, since it is all in BASIC.

The walking engine has also been completely rebuilt for the String detection system. The execution of the walking is almost instant, between the erasing where the character was, recalling the pic var so the tile will be redrawn quickly, moving the character, and redrawing the character into his new spot.

The last thing for the walking engine will be to add the "event detection" routine, so that it can check to see if you are trying to enter a room, a cave, etc.

Next on the list though, is to add the new in-game menu, and the 10 remaining map segments, before I release a new demo.
axcho

Posted: 20 May 2006 04:21:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hmm, I have noticed a lack of interest in this project... I hope it is not because people think this game is slow, or think that I am a n00b...
I doubt that is the case. I just don't feel like I have anything useful to say. I don't have much time to download new games at the moment, and it seems like you are doing fine with it on your own. Smile

If you want suggestions, could you explain your project in more detail and where you want to go with it? One thing I am curious about is how you display your sprites. The way you recall the picture to redraw the tile sounds like a good idea. So I'm guessing the map gets redrawn when the player goes off the edge?

Quote:
maps are 11x7 sprites
Does this mean that maps have only two types of terrain? Maybe those houses are special objects.

Also, is there a story to this RPG? How are you writing it?

And what does RESOURCE do?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 20 May 2006 11:32:06 pm    Post subject:

Yay, a response!!! :lol:

Well, Age of Darkness was first done as a text and menu game, which of course was not that great... Then I created one that was for the most part, semi graphical. I created another right after that, using the same engine, though adding some graphics to the map. That is when I decided I wanted a fully graphical map, and to see if it can be completed in nothing but BASIC.

I started out with binary sprites, using a routine to convert the 1's and 0's into the sprites, but that was slow, and slower still, when using matrices for the hit detection/map displaying. Thanks to Weregoose, cause he is a BASIC god, (Laughing) I have a fast hex sprite routine to use, so that caused the amount of needed RAM to drop drastically, while allowing for faster sprites to be displayed. I have also converted the maps to string hit detection, making that smaller, and much faster.

The maps should have a lot of different types of terrain, I am hoping to make a fully explorable city, once I get that far. Right at this point, I have around 160 character designations for tiles to use, and a lot more if I have the need of them. The houses will be places of rest, or information. Who knows what will be put in them. ;)

The maps are drawn, and stored into a temp pic variable, and once the character moves, the pic is quickly recalled, so you can barely tell that anything was disturbed by walking on it. And then once you go to the next map segment, it redraws the map, and restores to the temp pic.

[quote name='"old readme"']You are a retired Elite Knight in the service of the King. You marry and have a child. While you are walking out in the woods, you are attacked and left unconscience. When you wake, you smell smoke, so you run to your home, where you find it burning. You hear screams coming from inside the burning house until the house collapses on to itself. Now you must find the evil people that did this to you and destroy them. But this time it is not for honour or glory, this time it is for revenge.[/quote]

That is the old story line, I am thinking of staying with it. I haven't really gotten past that, as I wanted to make the engines and routines all work...

and prgmRESOURCE is an asm program that copies a program in FLASH into a temp program, and allows you to run it. Smile A better explanation of this program can be found at http://www.tifreakware.calcgames.org/tutor...sc/resource.htm

Edit:

New walking demo: http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/tifreak8x/aod/aodr4.zip

This is intended for the SE calcs, since the map loading in BASIC takes a few seconds. Wink The walking, however, is extremely fast. Please let me know what you think. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 21 May 2006 07:19:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 11:04:56 am    Post subject:

Update:

I have gotten the look of the in-game menu:

I have to rewrite the lists, so I can add the rest of the stuff for the menu program, but so far, the cursor moves up and down... :)

For those of you looking for animated screenshots, I have just got things figured out enough to make it work. :lol:

Last edited by Guest on 22 May 2006 11:51:43 am; edited 1 time in total
programmer_to_be

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 11:51:42 am    Post subject:

Nice. How long have you been working on this game? The new version, not the one that you had before it all crashed? I think my RPG will take until next year...or around October. Can't wait to play the whole game. What's gonna go in that white box?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 22 May 2006 11:53:24 am    Post subject:

I have been working on it for less than a month now... rewriting things, making attempts to make things go faster, etc. There are now 20 map segments, though I think there might be a bug with one of them, I just have to go through them all again, as I tested it with pti last night.

Now to get them lists re-wrote...
programmer_to_be

Elite

Posted: 23 May 2006 07:57:50 am    Post subject:

Alright! Awesome. It's looking good. We'll try to help you as much as we can!
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:18:53 pm    Post subject:

Looks great as always Tifreak, and I am happy you didn't use another picture for the in game menu Very Happy
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:22:27 pm    Post subject:

/me <3's that uB3r c00l screeny.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 23 May 2006 02:16:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank ye. :lol:

I am working on the saving and loading feature right now, then I will see about the rest of the options.

What I plan on doing is having it create a random 4-digit number that would be unique to help with identifying save slots, etc. :)

I will hopefully have a new screenie in a few days.

Last edited by Guest on 23 May 2006 02:21:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 24 May 2006 06:58:14 pm    Post subject:

Well, sorry for the double post, but I got a new screenshot, as I am working on the save/load system. :)

Do you like the text window, or should I go with something else??

Edit:

This is the walking engine, though everything is alot faster on the SE...

Last edited by Guest on 24 May 2006 07:32:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
programmer_to_be

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 08:14:45 am    Post subject:

I'm liking it. How big are your sprites? I tried counting but it went fast...Laughing
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 11:10:08 am    Post subject:

Map tiles are 8x8, enemy sprites are 16x16.

Sorry for the crummy screenshot for the walking engine, I will see about getting a better one this afternoon.
programmer_to_be

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 11:47:09 am    Post subject:

What are map tiles? Like trees and such? And your walking sprite is 8x8?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 01:26:59 pm    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
What are map tiles?
Here's a piece of a chat log where we had already answered this:

#UnitedTI.DragonFire.log wrote:
[font="courier new"][19:26:17] <Goose|Busy> I think there are four threads that discuss that tilemap routine and how to use it.
[19:26:26] <Goose|Busy> Can anybody say "Search function?"
[19:26:39] <Thanatos> suh-suh-suh...Darn.
[19:26:40] <kalan_vod> seach fucntun
[19:26:42] <Goose|Busy> I think I know what tutorial it's pulled from, anyway.
[19:26:43] <kalan_vod> nope
[19:26:55] <programmer_to_be> tilemap? I'll look it up real quick.
[19:27:13] <kalan_vod> Goose, whos code are you refering to?
[19:27:16] <Goose|Busy> programmer_to_be: It's what ... CAPTURE used.
[19:27:43] <programmer_to_be> hehe. I didn't know that was called tilemap. Well, I cut mine down a little.
[19:28:36] <_3FG> so what did you think of penalty?
[19:28:37] <Goose|Busy> It's not called "tilemap" but the general idea of displaying tiles one at a time is referred to tilemapping, I think.
programmer_to_be

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 06:18:58 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
programmer_to_be wrote:
What are map tiles?
Here's a piece of a chat log where we had already answered this:

#UnitedTI.DragonFire.log wrote:
[font="courier new"][19:26:17] <Goose|Busy> I think there are four threads that discuss that tilemap routine and how to use it.
[19:26:26] <Goose|Busy> Can anybody say "Search function?"
[19:26:39] <Thanatos> suh-suh-suh...Darn.
[19:26:40] <kalan_vod> seach fucntun
[19:26:42] <Goose|Busy> I think I know what tutorial it's pulled from, anyway.
[19:26:43] <kalan_vod> nope
[19:26:55] <programmer_to_be> tilemap? I'll look it up real quick.
[19:27:13] <kalan_vod> Goose, whos code are you refering to?
[19:27:16] <Goose|Busy> programmer_to_be: It's what ... CAPTURE used.
[19:27:43] <programmer_to_be> hehe. I didn't know that was called tilemap. Well, I cut mine down a little.
[19:28:36] <_3FG> so what did you think of penalty?
[19:28:37] <Goose|Busy> It's not called "tilemap" but the general idea of displaying tiles one at a time is referred to tilemapping, I think.

[post="80586"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sorry Goose. It probably wasn't too important to me at the time so I pushed it in the back of my memory somewhere. Anyways, that doesn't really clarify what it is(to me anyways). Is it like using a matrix? Where the map goes in like this:

:
::
:::
::::
:::::
::::::
:::::::
::::::::

Kinda like that?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 May 2006 06:28:53 pm    Post subject:

tifreak8x wrote:

Do you like the text window, or should I go with something else??

I like it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement