C++
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
C++
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 May 2006 01:09:26 am    Post subject:

What's the difference between procedural and functional?

Functional languages are quite elegant, but I don't care for the abstractness. I dabbled in Scheme for a while, but it wasn't worth wearing out my parentheses keys. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2006 01:09:42 am; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 04 May 2006 03:25:48 am    Post subject:

I don't think there's a meaningful notion of difference between the two. They are simply different ways of describing tasks. I'm not a big fan of Lisp-derived languages, to be honest, I prefer something that's easier on the eyes. And I don't believe in silver bullets either; always the right tool for the right task.
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 May 2006 02:55:45 pm    Post subject:

Silver bullets, no, but everyone has their own pet language. There's always a computing-time vs human-time tradeoff and the question of which do you consider more valuable. For the most part, programmer's time, but all of the projects I do (z80 and utilities, and the like), I skew towards machine's time. I have a feeling I'm going to miss counting clocks once I get a real job. Sad

It seems that in general you're a C junky, so your openness towards other languages surprises me, especially coming from an assembly background.
CoBB

Posted: 05 May 2006 09:10:41 am    Post subject:

I do like C, there's no doubt, because it's efficient and trustworthy. However, unless we count my first Basic-only C64 era I was always active in at least two or three languages. I started with the usual BP7+x86 combination cherished by so many teens in my age Wink, and later I switched to C from Pascal. Nowadays I can also appreciate the features of C++, no matter how much of a mess it can be, but it's not really a substitute for C. And declarative languages are again a completely different category with lots of valuable lessons for the open mind.
Harq

Posted: 29 May 2006 11:16:18 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
trigkid213 wrote:
I'm about to start learning C++ as my first computer programming language. Should I learn C too?

Definitely yes. Don't start with C++, it's a very hard language, and it can bite you at the most unexpected places. C is simpler and much more 'transparent', and a solid knowledge of C will help you through many difficulties later, especially a good understanding of pointers.
[post="76066"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THis is untrue, i am in 7th grade and have tought myself a basic knowledge of c++ with ease. I am also starting the OOP area of the language now.

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2006 11:29:44 am; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 29 May 2006 11:48:28 am    Post subject:

There is a difference between a basic and a solid knowledge. Any language can be learnt at a basic level without too much effort. If you care to read some advanced books on C++, you'll discover a lot of depth in it and can learn about many pitfalls. The same can't be said about C; it's simple and straightforward, and trains your brain to understand the machine.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 29 May 2006 12:08:02 pm    Post subject:

C PLUS PLUS RULES

Sory, I had to do that.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 May 2006 12:18:17 pm    Post subject:

Why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned Python or Ruby yet?

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2006 12:19:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 29 May 2006 12:37:01 pm    Post subject:

I have heard of python but not ruby. I thought Python was similar to Java.

Edit: spelling rub

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2006 12:37:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 May 2006 07:16:10 pm    Post subject:

nah, its a scripting language; clostest to perl; it isn't free form tho, i much prefer free form languages

EDIT: does anyone have a recamendation for an advanced book on C? i have K&R and C: a reference manual

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2006 07:17:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 04 Jun 2006 12:12:53 pm    Post subject:

That's what I'm saying. There isn't much to learn about C, since you can pick up everything by practicing. Anyway, here's one you might find interesting.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
C++
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement