C++
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
C++
trigkid213

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 07:49:49 am    Post subject:

I'm about to start learning C++ as my first computer programming language. Should I learn C too?
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 08:29:37 am    Post subject:

I have heard before that it would be better to just learn C++ as C is just the level before C++. Like C++ is an upgrade version of C. That's just what I have heard.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:11:11 am    Post subject:

I agree, but it doesn't hurt to learn C on the side too.
CoBB

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:58:37 am    Post subject:

trigkid213 wrote:
I'm about to start learning C++ as my first computer programming language. Should I learn C too?

Definitely yes. Don't start with C++, it's a very hard language, and it can bite you at the most unexpected places. C is simpler and much more 'transparent', and a solid knowledge of C will help you through many difficulties later, especially a good understanding of pointers.
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 11:19:52 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
trigkid213 wrote:

Definitely yes. Don't start with C++, it's a very hard language, and it can bite you at the most unexpected places. C is simpler and much more 'transparent', and a solid knowledge of C will help you through many difficulties later, especially a good understanding of pointers.
[post="76066"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Can you suggest any books or sites for learning C and C++?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 11:20:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 02:29:35 pm    Post subject:

Not once you know C++.
CoBB

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 03:46:45 pm    Post subject:

kalan_vod wrote:

What about the trivial starting points, like this or this?
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 03:57:49 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't sure if there was a really good one, but I guess I need to look.
Plague

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 04:55:16 pm    Post subject:

ummm i tried for ever to learn c and couldnt grasp some of it, i went to learning c++ and it was so easy to learn and understand. i still cant program in C but c++ is no problem at all.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:32:42 pm    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
I have heard before that it would be better to just learn C++ as C is just the level before C++. Like C++ is an upgrade version of C. That's just what I have heard.
[post="76055"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

no; C++ is C but with Object Oriented parts thrown in; it is considered not a good mix of proceedural and OO programing; they both use the same general sytax but use different libaries; If C++ was an upgrade of C then noone would use C any more but outside of redmond C is used far more comonly than C++; in my experiance they are both about as difficult (which is not really at all in my eyes) tho i only did entry level C++ as C just makes more sence as a language in general

kalan_vod wrote:
[post="76068"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...628&TXT=Y&itm=2
single best book on C, ever; it was cowritten by the creator of C; it is truely amazing

edit:
Quote:
ummm i tried for ever to learn c and couldnt grasp some of it, i went to learning c++ and it was so easy to learn and understand. i still cant program in C but c++ is no problem at all.

i have found that C is far more intuative a language and is in general increadibly easy to use

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 06:38:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:36:17 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I agree with Tiberious726. C++ is Almost Identical to C.
Two diferences:

1. The library. (no biggie)
2. The OO stuff. Your first parts of learning C++ will be basicly learning C anyway, but later you will learn the Object Orinented stuff. After learning C++ you will be able to program C easily.
Plague

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 07:20:24 pm    Post subject:

another good place to learn c:

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson6.html
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 08:51:05 pm    Post subject:

Another great tutorial is:

cplusplus.com

Just click on the left table, C++ and you will be directed to another page with "Learn C++" and there will be the tutorials.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 08:56:33 pm    Post subject:

I only know C++ but using this knoledge was able to help my freind with a C program. I say once you learn one it would be fairly easy to learn the other.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 08:47:42 am    Post subject:

They are all C-derived aren't they? Java, C, C++, Delphi?
CoBB

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 11:17:47 am    Post subject:

No, they aren't. The syntax is indeed similar (except for Delphi, which inherited it from Pascal instead), but they are still completely different languages.
benryves

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 01:15:12 pm    Post subject:

C++ is (as already mentioned) OOP stuff roughly hacked on top of the basic bits of C. Since C++ came about, there have been "real" OOP languages developed (for example Java, now well established and one of the main languages taught in schools, or C# which is rapidly gaining popularity), which are much cleaner and easier than C++. Not to mention that just in time compilers are now excellent, so you can release a single Java/C# binary that runs just as well as the native code on multiple platforms and processors.

Also, note that C++ is not all of C. You can do things in C that you can't in C++ (C99).

The difficulty with C is more to do with having to do things the manual way (for example, strings in C are a comparitive nightmare compared to using the std::string class).

Unfortunately, the software world is very slow to adapt to change, so C++ is probably around to stay for a while. It took them a while to switch from C, after all!

Then again, I'm one of these strange people who doesn't like programming itself, and just likes a programming language let him peform a task with the minimum amount of fuss.

I, personally, would never ever suggest a language like C or C++ as a first programming language, as they give you 101 assorted ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Apr 2006 01:16:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 03:08:55 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
Not to mention that just in time compilers are now excellent, so you can release a single Java/C# binary that runs just as well as the native code on multiple platforms and processors.

I hear so much about advanced compiler technology, and I see how JIT can be all superior in theory, but in practice all Java and C# programs I ran on my computer crawled at snail's pace eating up an outrageous amount of memory each.

benryves wrote:
The difficulty with C is more to do with having to do things the manual way (for example, strings in C are a comparitive nightmare compared to using the std::string class).

I'd generally say STL (and boost) is what really makes C++ worth every second you put into it.

benryves wrote:
I, personally, would never ever suggest a language like C or C++ as a first programming language, as they give you 101 assorted ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

And that's exactly the reason why I recommend them! :biggrin: A managed environment greatly prevents learning proper resource managment. Garbage collection doesn't keep programs from using ridiculous amounts of memory, it just helps sweeping the effects of poor coding under the rug--for a while. I saw a few expensive industrial managed applications crash to complete death no matter how the VM struggled for them...

The great thing about learning programming is that shooting yourself in the foot doesn't actually harm you, just gives you useful experience, even if later you only use less dangerous languages in production. There's no way a solid knowledge of C can hurt.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 03:59:45 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:

and even then strings aren't that hard in C; all they are are arrays with '\0' at the end

Quote:
[post="76220"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i would; as CoBB said it does really help to know the memory managment and not have your problems majically disappear; also C is the ideal spot between high level and low level programing; you can acces lower level stuff if you want but there are functions predefined that are much higer level; It is the first programing language i learned and it really isn't that hard if you have a good learning reasorce (like that book i mentioned earlier)

if you really want OOP then i would recamend Objective-C; it is a strict superset of C (the same cannot be said of C++)

Last edited by Guest on 20 Apr 2006 04:08:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 05:31:22 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
benryves wrote:

And that's exactly the reason why I recommend them! :biggrin: A managed environment greatly prevents learning proper resource managment.
I wasn't saying don't learn them at all... of course, learning memory management is a good thing. (And learning how your particular garbage collector works is a good thing else, as you mentioned, it won't help you if you do things stupidly).
Or maybe it's just that I come into contact on a daily basis with people learning C or C++ as their first language, and the results are never pretty Wink
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
C++
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement