This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 18 Apr 2006 11:00:41 pm    Post subject:

I recently started playing starcraft (yah, I'm a little behind) and got adicted. now I am thinking of using BASIC to make a TI version. I am wondering if it would be posible.

1.I might use link cable for two player
2. there are many things to monitor over the cource of the game
3. The code may be HUGE.
lolje

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 01:19:43 am    Post subject:

Yea, you're right! Good idea! But I wouldn't try to make it in BASIC.
Did you ever see this genius pro-version of a never finished Starcraft in ticalc.org
(written in ASM!)?
Starcraft 'beta' 0.6

This is a great beginning but as long its not finished you can't really play it Neutral

If you want to make it real-time it'll be nearly impossible to make it in BASIC...
So if you really want to try it you should change the battle mode, otherwhise you won't be able to do it.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:03:45 am    Post subject:

I think this would be a good idea and it is a great challenge too! If you are really good at Basic, this will be a good project for you to work on. It might take a while and it might be hard, but hey, someone stepped up to the plate to take the offer. Very Happy
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:12:43 am    Post subject:

I've never played, but it sounds fun Very Happy
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:55:01 am    Post subject:

This isn't really feasible in pure basic or basic + asm really for that matter. I don't wish to discourage, but if you want you can do it.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 02:30:34 pm    Post subject:

Not in real time fluent graph screen style, no. Even just a cursor gives the calc a hard time. Razz
axcho

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 02:46:56 pm    Post subject:

I've made some 8x8 sprites of the Terran buildings, and designed a layout for a calculator version of Starcraft:

I think it will have to be in assembly, though.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 02:52:59 pm    Post subject:

O_O axcho how many projects do you work on?!?!?! It's like you have an endless supply of resources for calc games!!!!

It looks pretty cool though. Cursor, you say. hmmm....

btw, i believe there's also a StarCraft 89 project going on @ calcgames.org, but it seems that they don't have a programmer to work on it. All the sprites are down though. I forget if it's black and white, or greyscale.

edit: this project is too tough for an unskilled programmer like me, so I don't think I can make an opinion on whether it can be done in Basic or not. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 02:54:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 03:06:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
O_O axcho how many projects do you work on?!?!?! It's like you have an endless supply of resources for calc games!!!!
:biggrin: Actually, I've had those hanging around since before I joined UTI. But I guess I've just been doing calculator stuff for a long time, and have a lot of unfinished projects.
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 07:56:50 pm    Post subject:

I want to make this in ASM someday, but I did some thinking and realized how SLOW it would be and how BIG the program would be. It's definitely not possible in BASIC.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 08:56:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, this would be pretty big. That's a definite no-no in programming. You don't want a big program because then the player might have to delete projects they are working on to play this. They then might realize how slow this game is and wish they hadn't deleted anything!
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:08:16 pm    Post subject:

Due to your recomendations. I probably will do this in Asm. But, in response to tha size. There is AOE2 for calc and it automaticly archives and unarchives the componets.
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:12:10 pm    Post subject:

Which is a bad idea, archiving causes slowdown and needed garbage collects. Not to mention the wear and tear of the archive.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:37:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't care how it's done, but this would probably become one of my favorite games ever. I love StarCraft (although it's hard to find anyone who plays it, and I can't play online). I just beat the last Terran mission in Brood War a little while ago.

This would definitely have to be in asm. Imagine having two units moving across the map at the same time, and attacking each other. Uh, oh, basic won't cut it.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:53:10 pm    Post subject:

Its decided then. Its Asm
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Apr 2006 01:15:28 am    Post subject:

I doubt it can be done in ASM, but if you can get some kind of a working one, drop me a PM. I'd really like to help out with this.
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Apr 2006 02:07:13 am    Post subject:

http://calcgames.org/cgi-bin/files/files.cgi?ID=1123
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 07:02:14 pm    Post subject:

I think this is a project that would benefit greatly from 16x16 graphics.
For something this size, I think you should be made an application. With WabbitSign, that's not so hard anymore. Also, don't be afraid to write your own code for data retrieval; it's a customized layout, so its probably best to retrieve only what you need and avoid archiving at all. When you save, make sure it only has to archive once.

An RTS like StarCraft relies heavily on an object oriented design. What are your thoughts on dealing with that?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 07:19:22 pm    Post subject:

Well OOP at the bytecode and native level has to have some ASM resemblance doesn't it?
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 08:52:13 pm    Post subject:

OOP is probably implemented more easily on a low-level with a linked list of all objects in an environment. But it is still not a good idea.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement