This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 01:24:41 pm    Post subject:

grayscale for stick figures? That seems like a waste to me. Spend the cycles making the game faster. I like the idea of having unlockable abilities. So you can always have the same doll, just different specials. And then maybe have a couple different size dolls to choose from at beginning.
axcho

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 03:51:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to do grayscale! It will probably blur a bit anyway. And I don't think I'll be using timers either. The program will probably use Ion, since I think MirageOS needs interrupts.

Quote:
I like the idea of having unlockable abilities. So you can always have the same doll, just different specials. And then maybe have a couple different size dolls to choose from at beginning.
Thanks for the feedback. I could do different size dolls pretty easily, but I'm curious why you think that would be important.

Here are some of the special abilities I've thought of:
Quote:
(hard limbs damage softer limbs)
Stretchy - limbs become very long and springy.
Metallic - limbs become hard, heavy and rigid.
Cannon - head becomes hard and separate from body.
Swarm - all nodes become loose points connected by springs to head.
I'm thinking that to switch to the special form, you hold down 2nd or something, which drains an energy meter.

I could also do more exotic body shapes, like a snake or a blob. Let me know your ideas for special abilities.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 05:42:10 pm    Post subject:

If you have a short doll, it would be harder to hit you, but also harder for you to hit your opponent. nevermind, too much hassle for what it's worth.

Maybe have a special that drains like half of your energy to let you roll into a ball for a little while and roll around the screen and smash your opponent.
axcho

Posted: 07 Jun 2006 07:22:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If you have a short doll, it would be harder to hit you, but also harder for you to hit your opponent. nevermind, too much hassle for what it's worth.
Yeah, I'll probably just find one size that works the best on the calculator screen.

Quote:
Maybe have a special that drains like half of your energy to let you roll into a ball for a little while and roll around the screen and smash your opponent.
I think I could do that. It could be a ragdoll in a ring shape like a blob, but with stiff spring connections. And it could have increased hardness, so it would be inpenetrable to normal attacks, but it would use a lot of energy.

Each character would have one power, or maybe you could unlock powers and select one or two of them to have active during combat. That could be interesting.

Let me see what different properties each node would need to create these powers. If it turns out that there is not enough memory to store them all, there might be some that can be removed without messing up the game too much.

Bone length (obviously)
Bone connections (for changing shape)
Spring length (obviously)
Spring connections (also for changing shape)
Spring flexibility (could be simplified to a single value for all springs)
Node mass (could also be a single value for the whole ragdoll)
Node hardness (for damage)

It looks like flexibility and mass should be reduced to a single value for each ragdoll. I'm not sure about hardness though. It seems easiest to have a separate hardness value for each node, so to calculate damage you just compare the hardness of the two nodes that hit. That leaves 5 values for each node, plus 2 for the whole thing. So with 7 nodes (including the head) that would be 37 different values, probably at one byte each. Maybe 6 nodes would be better, since then there are 32 bytes, which is much easier to index!

In case you are wondering, node position would be stored separately in temporary memory, since it doesn't need to be saved from game to game.
CoBB

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 04:24:00 am    Post subject:

axcho wrote:
Maybe 6 nodes would be better, since then there are 32 bytes, which is much easier to index!

Index into what? There aren't supposed to be more than two players anyway. The amount of data is of no concern here, I'd be more worried about speed.
axcho

Posted: 08 Jun 2006 01:52:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Index into what? There aren't supposed to be more than two players anyway. The amount of data is of no concern here, I'd be more worried about speed.
There will be a list of about a dozen different special abilities, represented in the format I described above. Each player would have a pointer to the data, so I guess it isn't that big of a deal to have it indexable, but it is still more convenient when selecting from a menu.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement