This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Plague

Posted: 30 Mar 2006 11:53:33 pm    Post subject:

Growing up with a gameboy + pokemon was one of my favorite games. It had me adicted more time than any other game. It had a simple concept yet had an imence world with many new things to do. It was basic yet kep[t me interested through all the versions up to ruby and sahpire (i didnt like them much, havnt bought any since)

Anyways, i was looking into making a calculator version(s) (Calcmon Black and calcmon white lol). But i would only put time into it if i felt it would be accepetd by a lot of the community as it would require a lot of time. No use making it if no one is interested in that sort of thing.

It would be a new series of monsters, new map, new characters, new story, etc... but have teh same concept of battle, capture, explore, battle, become teh best. It would be liek teh orginal vcersions were you would have to trade between versions to get all the monsters and would require 2 cals+link cord (with anti cheating measures of course)

If i did start this i would want a list of every ideal you have, liek new monsters (their names, types, descriptions, etc..) new characters, plot lines, anything you can think of.

If you are anti pokemon (a lot of people think its childish, in a sence it is, but they make for a realy fun game with masive replay value, as i still play yellow sometimes if i go on trips)

but yeah, its my ideal, it may have been done b4, i dunno. give me feedback. if its widly accepted i may make a new small forum/site dedicated to teh project and make it into a community project to make it even more fun.

ideas, critism, death threats?? Neutral
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Mar 2006 11:58:03 pm    Post subject:

We're here because we're interested. It'd be awesome to have another active project.

Go for it. Smile
axcho

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 01:11:19 am    Post subject:

There are a few calculator Pokemon projects going on right now, though I don't have the links handy at the moment.

But I like how you are trying to come up with completely new monsters and maps. One thing I've always wanted to do is a Pokemon game where the monsters are not premade, but procedurally generated by a simple genetic system for the body shape and abilities. That way you can actually have meaningful exploration to find new monsters to breed or trade or whatever.

Calcmon Black and Calcmon White! Those are great names! Very Happy You should seriously call them that.
Plague

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 08:34:48 pm    Post subject:

I seen teh pokemon purple thread on teh forums here and that ones looking good, but its just a remake. I think a new one would be best.

Im a bad artist myself, if i had to make sprites that would genteticaly blend together it would be a miricle. I dont think that is within my grasp, but i plan to make many varietes and depending on the pokemon, the atack will have individual special effects.

If i do make this game, and finsih it, i will include some way of making your own custom monster, custom self image sprites, etc... maybe as your starting monster.

ATM, im looking at some asm sub routriens for archive/unarchive, some grey scale, and anything else that might imrpove teh look of teh game.

More input people :)

EDIT:

Can i request a forum for this, as i have a few things i want to ask the community to help with, and it would be easier to do this with a more singled area. I want to ask for ideals the community has on new monsters, towns, map ideals, atacks, everything!!. New game needs new ideals, i need help. Anyone that gives ideals will of course be in teh credits Smile

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2006 09:20:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 05:26:24 pm    Post subject:

I like this idea. I have no ideas right now, but in the community projects section, tifreak has posted up his up-to-date game. You could look at that code for ideas.

:icon14: Also, not to flame or be mean but, I hate when people say "teh". Why not just "the"? :confused:
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 05:49:16 pm    Post subject:

How are you planning to store the massive ammounts of combat grahics?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 06:46:49 pm    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
:icon14: Also, not to flame or be mean but, I hate when people say "teh". Why not just "the"? :confused:
[post="73772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

'Cuz 'teh' is +3h 1337. Actually, 'teh' is net lingo evolved from myriad misspellings of 'the'. It's very common in online games.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 10:26:05 pm    Post subject:

What does 1337 mean?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Apr 2006 10:58:42 pm    Post subject:

You don't play enough online games, do you.

Plague

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 12:05:13 am    Post subject:

actualy, that one word i mistype 99% of the time, very sorry Sad . most forums i visit i manage to convice the admin to add it to banned words list in the filter to be replaced with "the" lol

The pictures will be stored in string files, and if i can figure out how to use some asm grey scale routines it will be much better.
josefnpat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Apr 2006 05:28:38 pm    Post subject:

actually, whats more interesting is pwnage...

started off as "I Own you" --> "You have been owned" --> "ownage" and finally because the p is so close to the o, "pwnage"....

here in europe with german keyboards though, you'll often see people mixing the y and the z up and i've started substituting öpö with lol
: D
lolje

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 08:14:01 am    Post subject:

some time ago I made a great battle-mode-engine for a pokemon like game, which was called 'Creature assault'. The idea was that your village is attacked by strange creatures and you have to defeat them. But the calc crashed and the work of many hours wasn't anymore. Sad f*** of Ti-OS...

I think you should do something like pokemon using xlib for the sprites and tilemaps. It's a great idea and I think this idea is not too hard to realize.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 09:53:52 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like an idea to me. Some people might badmouth battle RPGs because of the large size, but if you look at the huge success of Wizards last summer, it's pretty rewarding. To confirm the rumors: Pokemon Red & Blue ports are being done by thegamefreak0134; with Pokemon Purple being done by tifreak8x. The Pokemon franchize is pretty tough to match, so you might be looking at a job for xLib.

My BASIC isn't as sharp as it used to be so my only advice is to plan it out on paper first. Alot of the games that make it past development are the ones that are laid out before the fact. Especially true for RPGs.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Apr 2006 09:57:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plague

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 11:01:40 pm    Post subject:

i very well agree. every game i have ever finished was done on paper first. i have never used xlib, i may look into it if it makes the game faster, since all i know is baisc myself. my main problem is im a very bad artist. the map in my game was probably going to be text based just becuase i cant draw the sprites.

however, this game is on the hold for the most part, i still jot down a few new ideas now and again, but i havnt started any of the programing yet.
lolje

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 05:01:57 am    Post subject:

wtf??? Text based??? Just copy the original sprites - this is no problem. Then you do them all in a pic and use it with xlib - quite easy, not???

-> some spritez
Plague

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 09:54:39 pm    Post subject:

here is my problem.

i want to make a program that if it uses pics at all, it doesnt require them to be used to actualy store any data(for more than the execution of teh prgm). i want all the pictures and stuff to be stored in a program, but i know this is a memory and time consuming, not to mention slow method.

also, can someone give me a link to download xlib?

and is codex any good? i downloaded that.
axcho

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 02:24:21 pm    Post subject:

Textsprites are a pretty efficient way to store sprites. They take one byte for each column of 5 pixels. I don't know what would be good for a whole screen though.
Plague

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 07:27:02 pm    Post subject:

for a game like this, i would need a way to store hundreds of sprites. i dont think the calcs memory could handle a very large pkmn game.
axcho

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 03:47:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, let's see:
If sprites are 20x20, that's 4 rows of 20 columns, meaning 80 bytes. If you have 150 sprites, that would be 12000 bytes of data in one string. Okay, that's a lot. Hmmm...

Would CATs work? The basic routine is pretty slow though. If you want, I could make an assembly program that will do it. Of course, I have to find a good ruleset for pokemon first.

What size would these monster sprites be? And how good do they have to look? A more sophisticated genetic system than CAs for generating monster sprites would be so nice. You could have open-ended evolution of monsters! It would be hard to design though.
Plague

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 05:29:58 pm    Post subject:

the detail of the actual pokemon just needs to be enuff you have some idea of what they are. (hard to do)

but i also need:

the map sprites, walls buildings, grass, roads, caves, water, interiors, people, gyms, etc... plus all the pokemon pics, back and front depending on whos team they on.

it would requires ome HUGE programming of images, and would take a lot of time and memory, time i dont have Sad. If i could get someone to make teh sprites and the drawing program, i could do the rest of the setup, design the maps, save data, etc... (actualy, teh best way to save teh game would be to create an asm program, with internal storage of the saved data.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement