This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 28 Mar 2006 10:43:33 pm    Post subject:

Is it? I already started learning it but don't know if I should continue. Thanks.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 04:08:37 am    Post subject:

Since I've never heard about it before, I'm going to say it can't be great. You'll be able to make basic 2D games and stuff like that with it, but after that, you're totally limited. Can you do network programming? Access the win32 api? OpenGL api? Do anything outside of drawing some shapes in a pretty default window? You're going to be pretty limited. Not to mention there's not going to be a lot of resources/support for programming with it.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 08:43:38 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Since I've never heard about it before, I'm going to say it can't be great. You'll be able to make basic 2D games and stuff like that with it, but after that, you're totally limited. Can you do network programming? Access the win32 api? OpenGL api? Do anything outside of drawing some shapes in a pretty default window? You're going to be pretty limited. Not to mention there's not going to be a lot of resources/support for programming with it.

/me thinks he's right.

I suggest you learn C/C++, Java or Python.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 09:47:05 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Since I've never heard about it before, I'm going to say it can't be great.
Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it's bad.
One thing, though: it's bad. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2006 09:47:28 am; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 09:49:44 am    Post subject:

If you're looking for a free programming language to experiment with, VB.NET is also pretty good (in my little experience). I use SharpDevelop.
benryves

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 10:04:38 am    Post subject:

@IAmACalulator - not sure if you're aware of it, but you can download Visual Studio Express 2005 for free from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ (doesn't expire, you can sell your code, unrestricted use). Lacks a few things from the full version (such as the profiler) but it's still pretty groovy.

Everyone is automatically going to suggest their favourite language, most of which are unsuitable for beginners. Languages such as C require a lot of discipline in terms of memory management and there are lots of places you can trip up on; C++ is a fairly horrible hack on top of C in any case and I'd strongly suggest you don't start with it. (Though it might currently be the "industry standard", well-written apps in managed languages are now just as fast and it's just a case of waiting for programmers to switch).

Best to pick a language that doesn't require you to handle memory yourself, and one that lets you learn the basics of programming without having the programming language get in the way.

Scripting languages might be good to start with; I understand Python is very popular and has bindings to a number of different useful APIs. I've not used it myself, though. I also hear good things about Ruby.

Above that, there are more serious "proper" managed languages which offer things like garbage collection and a large amount of prefabricated code to make development easy and let you concentrate on what it is you're writing.

Java on top of the J2SE seems to be popular with schools, is cross platform, runs in a web browser, that sort of thing.

Languages on top of the .NET framework (pretty much every language under the sun by now) take advantage of Visual Studio (industry-standard development environment) but are Microsoft-specific (Windows, xbox).

If you're looking into developing games, GameDev.net has a great "for beginners" forum. Their "start here" section, http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/ , is extremely out of date though.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2006 10:07:01 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 10:27:03 am    Post subject:

also, the AP computer science exam is in Java.

Python and Java are my personal favorites.
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 06:13:33 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean liberty basic as advertised in the book "Beginning Programming for Dummies"?
It looks simple.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 06:41:18 pm    Post subject:

for a basic language i would recamend Ti-BASIC (the one on the calcuators of course) then when transitioning to computers learn C from K&R's "The C programing Language" here it is the basis of many of the modern laguages that are used,

python isn't free form, i like free form.... but i have heard that is it good
perl is fairly bloated...

Last edited by Guest on 29 Mar 2006 06:41:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 07:58:52 pm    Post subject:

Radical Pi wrote:
Do you mean liberty basic as advertised in the book "Beginning Programming for Dummies"?
[post="73348"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes.

Wikipedia wrote:
Liberty BASIC has been used to facilitate and actualize examples of code for various guides and references about programming in Windows, including "Beginning Programming For Dummies", written by Wallace Wang, and published by Hungry Minds International.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Mar 2006 08:03:37 pm    Post subject:

Tiberious726 wrote:
for a basic language i would recamend Ti-BASIC (the one on the calcuators of course) then when transitioning to computers learn C from K&R's "The C programing Language" here it is the basis of many of the modern laguages that are used,

python isn't free form, i like free form.... but i have heard that is it good
perl is fairly bloated...
[post="73355"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

one of the few annoying features of Python is accidentally confusing a tba with four spaces.

other than that, its my favorite scripting language. as an added bonus, its what google uses.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement