This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
NDS

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 11:04:21 pm    Post subject:

I just finished a game of mine "Ultimate a" and am now looking to make another game... I am assuming most of you have heard about, or watched the new hit TV show, Deal or No Deal... If not, here is a summary:

Before you are roughly 30 (for the this game, only 14) cases, each with a certain amount of money inside ranging from $0.01 to $1,000,000... You start out by picking one case and placing it beside you... you are not revealed what this case contains until the end of the game. After this you pick 6 more cases, you are trying to get the lowest amounts here (ex. $0.01,$5,$25,$100 etc.) Once you pick that case, it is eliminated from the game and cannot be used again... After those six picks, the "banker" calls and tries to buy the case you first picked (and is sitting next to you) off you in hopes that it might be the $1,000,000 case and you will get less money... The banker makes you an offer based on the cases you have pulled and the probability that your case holds $1,000,000... After he calls and makes you an offer you are faced with the question, deal? or no deal? Deal and you get the money he offered, no deal and you play on... This time you pick 5 cases, the banker calls, 4 cases, banker calls, 3 cases, calls again,2 cases... so on and so forth until you make it to your final case and you get the amount in there unless you accepted one of the deals earlier... To play the flash version of this game go here

I was wondering if at all this is possible to do with TI-BASIC? I ran into some problems and would like to know how to get passed them:

1) If I store the ammounts in a list {0.01,5,10,25,100,250,500,1000,5000,10000,200000,500000,750000,1000000}->DND
how would i store those amounts in a random case

2) If i crossed lists and stored the above amounts randomly into other variables in another list {a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n}->CDND
Then I dont know how to make it so it recognizes that one of the variables has been chosen and cannot be displayed anymore... Like taking it off the list entirely

3) Making an algorithm as to what the banker's offer would be...

There are many issues that i would like to discuss with all of you and see what your take is on this whether or not this project is even possible... Reply back and we could maybe make this a collab project, I think it would be fun and it would be cool to brag about to my friends as well... Also if you want the program for my "Ultimate a" game i mentioned earlier, then PM me

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2006 11:08:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
chipmaster

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 11:17:33 pm    Post subject:

NDS wrote:
1) If I store the ammounts in a list {0.01,5,10,25,100,250,500,1000,5000,10000,200000,500000,750000,1000000}->DND

2) If i crossed lists and stored the above amounts randomly into other variables in another list {a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n}->CDND
Then I dont know how to make it so it recognizes that one of the variables has been chosen and cannot be displayed anymore... Like taking it off the list entirely

[post="72967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wouldn't store them before the user picks a suit case as there is no need. When the user selects a suitcase it should randomly select a number from what's left, get rid of that number, and shrink the list. All of these can be done with randInt, dim(, and some While/Repeat loops.

The bankers algorithm wouldn't be too hard either. Just take an average of the elements in the list that has all of the suitcases left and subtract some percentage of that (if you want to give the house the advantage).

This is really a great game to make in TIBasic, because of its simplicity and the fact that speed isn't an issue. I'd elaborate in more detail on how to do certain parts, but I think you would learn more from the experience of trying this yourself. Have fun Smile
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 11:32:02 pm    Post subject:

Are you gonna use menus or like getkey on the graph screen or the home screen? Or you could go for split screen. You have options on the graph screen and the actions on the bottom!
NDS

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 12:17:05 am    Post subject:

chipmaster wrote:
NDS wrote:

[post="72967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wouldn't store them before the user picks a suit case as there is no need. When the user selects a suitcase it should randomly select a number from what's left, get rid of that number, and shrink the list. All of these can be done with randInt, dim(, and some While/Repeat loops.

The bankers algorithm wouldn't be too hard either. Just take an average of the elements in the list that has all of the suitcases left and subtract some percentage of that (if you want to give the house the advantage).

This is really a great game to make in TIBasic, because of its simplicity and the fact that speed isn't an issue. I'd elaborate in more detail on how to do certain parts, but I think you would learn more from the experience of trying this yourself. Have fun Smile
[post="72971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

so like when the user picks idk... case #10, a random integer has to be stored into it that is one of the cash amounts right? where would it pull this number... the list, but you said to make the list as they go and not ahead of time... Is that what dim( does coz i don't have my book on me now and my internets is not loading google for some reason (well google is working fine, im just too a lazy even though it takes meer seconds)

bankers algorithm would be the average of the cash amounts of cases left minus 10%?

Sorry for being retarded (it took me a minute to finally spell retarded right) and asking so many questions
Thanatos

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 01:34:42 am    Post subject:

Use two lists.

The first list will be your actual DND list, with all the values.
randNorm(0,1,9 -> L_BLAH
SortA(L_BLAH,DND

That should randomize the list. Then you can just remove the values from the list as the game progresses.

At least, I THINK that's right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

As for 'removing' a value from the list keeping the value still 'there', you can just store to another list. Or add a decimal pointer. Or whatever the heck you want. There's about a few thousand ways.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Mar 2006 01:36:01 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 09:31:50 am    Post subject:

Why use randNorm? Just use rand(9.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 10:50:59 am    Post subject:

By the way, Deal or No Deal is an amazing show.

If you plan on making this graphical at all (that is, not only an Input "Case Number?",X thing), I'd suggest you make less cases or use the graph screen.
NDS

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 11:37:13 am    Post subject:

Thanatos wrote:
Use two lists.

The first list will be your actual DND list, with all the values.
randNorm(0,1,9 -> L_BLAH
SortA(L_BLAH,DND

That should randomize the list. Then you can just remove the values from the list as the game progresses.

At least, I THINK that's right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

As for 'removing' a value from the list keeping the value still 'there', you can just store to another list. Or add a decimal pointer. Or whatever the heck you want. There's about a few thousand ways.
[post="72986"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So does that make it so when you pick a case, and that case has an amount of money, it removes that amount and case number or no? I left my TI-83+ book thingy at school so i can't check this
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement