This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 12:15:27 pm    Post subject:

Awesum Pic! Looks like an eye in the middle...

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
Super Speler wrote:
Probably has something to do with how your eye's adjust in the dark.  Maybe there are more of the (insert here, forgot which one to use *rod*cone*) around the edge so it seems brighter.
[post="72878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Around the edge of what? And what do you mean it has something to do with how my eyes adjust in the dark?
[post="72891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From your post, it seemed like you were saying that if you look at a star perpendicularly, you will appear brighter. At least it seems like you were saying that, and I think Super Speller thought the same.

Regarding Super Speller's post, cones are thought to be linked to spectrum while rods are thought to detect movement detection. Neither can help you see better in the dark, that's got to do with the iris of the eye opening wider to let in more light.
I'm not sure whether or not there are more to the edge of the eye rather than the middle of it, but then again I don't think it's pertinent either.

P.S. Go bio!

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2006 12:15:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 10:28:47 pm    Post subject:

That's pretty, really, but it doesn't help with my question...

As for my question, allow me to rephrase:

When I look directly at a star, it appears dimmer than when I look off to the side a bit. Why is that?

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2006 10:30:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bukwirm

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 10:48:55 pm    Post subject:

It probably has something to do with the arrangement of the light receptors in your eyes.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 02:23:26 am    Post subject:

If I remember my anatomy right, the optic nerve connects close to the spot directly behind the pupil (or is it the iris?). Would that have anything to do with it, maybe?
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Mar 2006 05:33:05 pm    Post subject:

There are more cones in the center of your eye, because cones can pick up finer detail, which you would need for examining whatever you are focused on. The rods only see in black and white (with a slightly green tint for me, anyway) but are much better at picking up light. They aren't as sophisticated though, and can't pick up finer details, which is the reason you can't read in near dark, even though you can clearly see where the words are: too fuzzy.

You don't normally notice it, though, because you're brain adjusts for the difference, just like it does for your blindspot where the nerves bundle up and leave the eye. It might also simply be the fact that you kept staring directly at the sun when you were younger and now have permanant blindness in the center of your eye. :P

I'm not particularly certain, but I think rods are also better at detecting motion, though that might just be the brain again.
Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
If I remember my anatomy right, the optic nerve connects close to the spot directly behind the pupil (or is it the iris?). Would that have anything to do with it, maybe?
The blind spot is off to the side, and the center of the eye has in fact the densest collection of optical receptors. This is why it is harder to read out of the corner of your eye, though your brain tries to trick you into not noticing the lack of detail in your peripheral vision, for sanity's sake.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Mar 2006 05:37:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 03 Apr 2006 08:38:56 pm    Post subject:

I have a telescope, one second while I see what brand it is......... TeleStar By Meade. I got it a couple of years ago. I use it sometimes.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement