This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Rhynomite

Posted: 21 Mar 2006 08:38:58 pm    Post subject:

Don't ask about the name- it's a long story. Anyway, I am using xlib to make a DOS-like shell. So far I have an inverted white-on black screen with the following working:

-Detection if xlib is installed
-A welcome screen
-"SYNTAX ERROR"

A few commands:
-Exit
-*.8xp (runs a prgm)
-Cls
-Date
-Echo

I need some input on what commands to remake from the old DOS, and what new ones to add (archiving, etc. may require an assembly program). I will also need an optimizer after I'm done coding. Any ideas?

EDIT:
It is currently bug-free (I think), but I will need beta testers also.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Mar 2006 08:40:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
antihaxer

Posted: 21 Mar 2006 09:43:15 pm    Post subject:

A format comand for deleting the calc's memory.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Mar 2006 10:11:48 pm    Post subject:

there is already a DOS emulator available from TiCalc.org....I mean emulator in the fullest sense of the word.

anyway, may I recommend that you make it more like a *nix shell than a DOS shell?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 12:36:35 pm    Post subject:

That emu doesn't support the full command set though, do to the calc's mem limitations...
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 12:53:12 pm    Post subject:

I bet someone could make it into a normal OS. that would interesting.

[edit]

O_o
/me thinks of the calculator gaming/networking repercussions to that. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 22 Mar 2006 12:54:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhynomite

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 05:00:24 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
anyway, may I recommend that you make it more like a *nix shell than a DOS shell?
[post="72759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know much unix... besides, I would be much easier for people to operate my program if they already knew the language it was based on.

EDIT:
antihaxer wrote:
A format command for deleting the calc's memory.

That would be possible with an assembly program, and I would also have to add a security system to prevent intentional erases by someone besides the user.

I will use Darkerline's program to allow archiving and unarchiving of programs.
Other suggestions?

Last edited by Guest on 22 Mar 2006 05:06:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 07:19:29 pm    Post subject:

Rhynomite wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
[post="72759"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't know much unix... besides, I would be much easier for people to operate my program if they already knew the language it was based on.
[post="72815"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

most nerds know *nix....and its not that hard to pick up either if you are used to DOS.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 22 Mar 2006 09:15:31 pm    Post subject:

One command type that you need is ping. It's a must. Seriously though you should be able to input program runs, you should evaluate your input for errors rather then have the calc by having data inputed to string and checked there for errors before converting to necicary variables.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 06:35:22 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
One command type that you need is ping.  It's a must.
[post="72865"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

while your at it you should include drivers that turn the EM radation from the calc into an effective wifi transciver

as for the shell, i would recamend you look into Bash, it is very very useful (think sort of like Dos only with infinatly more fetures Smile )
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2006 10:11:16 pm    Post subject:

personally I think TCSH is pretty good too.

but please dont pick DOS as the language for your shell. their are plenty of "DOS" shells out there, and very few *nix ones. plus itll be more creative, and *nix pwns DOS
Rhynomite

Posted: 25 Mar 2006 03:36:18 pm    Post subject:

I decided to not use xlib and instead use codex and zcopy. With codex, you can now delete a program and hopefully will soon be able to arch/unarch/lock/unlock/rename.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Mar 2006 04:09:54 pm    Post subject:

You should definitly be able to run programs from it. "On" shouldn't brake but send you back to the menu for your dos program. You could make a menu where the person customizes exact details of how the program works and in such a way edit and add to the OS.
Rhynomite

Posted: 31 Mar 2006 07:58:36 pm    Post subject:

That would be a great idea... if there was an existing assembly program that, rather than allowing the on-break or completely blocking the [on] key, returned the calc to a Moss-DOS menu w/options like resume, exit to Moss, or exit to homescreen.
Rhynomite

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 04:02:30 pm    Post subject:

I have now added arch and unarch commands (the code is terribly inefficient) and I need to know if there are ways to rename calc files using an asm utility. I am still considering some of the ideas you have given me, but most of them would be impossible to do in BASIC and since I don't know assembly, I wouldn't be able to do them at all. Sad I still need ideas for simple specific commands that people want to be in this program.

EDIT: I understand that ping is a command used for IP adresses, but how is that usable for a TI? :confused:

Last edited by Guest on 05 Apr 2006 04:05:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 07:26:44 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
One command type that you need is ping.  It's a must.  Seriously though...
[post="72865"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It was a joke...
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 10:13:26 pm    Post subject:

Rhynomite wrote:
That would be a great idea... if there was an existing assembly program that, rather than allowing the on-break or completely blocking the [on] key, returned the calc to a Moss-DOS menu w/options like resume, exit to Moss, or exit to homescreen.
[post="73635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I suggest you visit the Detached Solutions forum. one of them wrote a Basic error handler that fits into RAM.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement