This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
josefnpat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 05:14:28 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
GUI Apps/3D games: C++
Browser/platform independant/GUI Apps: Java

Answer: both.
[post="71773"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ditto on what he says. Go with java, even though the system is crap, it still teaches you the findementals. C++ has been around forever, but it's not as simple and not as platform independent. If you're interesting in learning to program thou, you might want to get your hands on QBASIC 4.5, although it's old, and it's almost a non-sequiter to call it a programming language, you will learn the basics and be able to easily compile and share your work. QBasic 1.0 is free from microsoft, but technically 4.5 you still have to buy, but you can find it on the net anyway ; P

Super Speler wrote:
Can someone point me to a book that's good for HTML.  I want to learn it much better then i know now.
[post="71903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You don't really need a book. I would suggest just making your own sites and taking ideas and examples and making them your own by emulating other sites. Just keep refering yourself to the w3schools.com
Also a good idea prob is to go to geocities.com and getting yourself a website. Even though geocities has ads, and limited space, etc it is very easy to use.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 05:48:26 pm    Post subject:

josefnpat wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:

Answer: both.  [post="71773"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

ditto on what he says. Go with java, even though the system is crap, it still teaches you the findementals. C++ has been around forever, but it's not as simple and not as platform independent. If you're interesting in learning to program thou, you might want to get your hands on QBASIC 4.5, although it's old, and it's almost a non-sequiter to call it a programming language, you will learn the basics and be able to easily compile and share your work. QBasic 1.0 is free from microsoft, but technically 4.5 you still have to buy, but you can find it on the net anyway ; P

QBASIC is just that; a dialect of BASIC which is frankly too high level to be of much use... i still heavily recamend C (for reasons stated earilyer in this thread primarily by sigma and myself) but most of all it is just plain useful

Quote:
Super Speler wrote:
Can someone point me to a book that's good for HTML.  I want to learn it much better then i know now.  [post="71903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You don't really need a book. I would suggest just making your own sites and taking ideas and examples and making them your own by emulating other sites. Just keep refering yourself to the w3schools.com
Also a good idea prob is to go to geocities.com and getting yourself a website. Even though geocities has ads, and limited space, etc it is very easy to use. [post="74045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

w3schools is nice but copying other's websites it most definatly not the way to go; most people's websites are invaild peices of junk that only display on IE that is not the purpose of a website; vaild code is indeed critial for compatibility and reaching a larger audience; we do not want blink tags anymore :sick:

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:21:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
josefnpat

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 06:41:29 pm    Post subject:

Tiberious726 wrote:
josefnpat wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:

Answer: both.  [post="71773"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

QBASIC is just that; a dialect of BASIC which is frankly too high level to be of much use... i still heavily recommend C (for reasons stated earlier in this thread primarily by sigma and myself) but most of all it is just plain useful

Quote:
Super Speler wrote:
Can someone point me to a book that's good for HTML.  I want to learn it much better then i know now.  [post="71903"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Also a good idea prob is to go to geocities.com and getting yourself a website. Even though geocities has ads, and limited space, etc it is very easy to use. [post="74045"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

w3schools is nice but copying other's websites it most definatly not the way to go; most people's websites are invalid peices of junk that only display on IE that is not the purpose of a website; valid code is indeed critial for compatibility and reaching a larger audience; we do not want blink tags anymore :sick: [post="74059"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

about that blink tag.... unless i'm mistaken, it was a joke Razz
But about the compatability of websites, they reakky only need to be mozilla and ie compatable, because those are the mainstream standards. Unless you're working on a whole different system, like a phone you don't really have to worry about it, as long as it appeasr the right way in mozilla and ie.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:34:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 06:44:19 pm    Post subject:

already did w3schools last week lol... took weregooses advice. I have a site up but I won't post the URL because it's not done yet (I wrote half dreamweaver wrote half) when it is I'll post it (If you look youll find the URL on the site but please don't. I posted a half done site purely for my photo section).
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 07:12:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm just probably going to continue programming 68ks using TIGCC. Programming is just a hobby for me, which I rarely get a chance to do because of my busy schedule.

edit: btw, can anybody recommend a good free IDE for C++ and C?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:14:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plague

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 07:19:38 pm    Post subject:

Im not computer smart, what is IDE? Something liek a compiler? bloodshed has a nice free compiler if thats what you mean Smile
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 07:21:00 pm    Post subject:

Integrated Development Environment, iirc.

It's kinda like a nice looking text editor that has a compile button that makes it easy to just type of syntax shaded code and just compile it w/o using the command line compiler. Most of the time, it's just sufficient to type up code in Notepad and save it with the specified source extension, then pass it to the compiler via DOS or however else you run the compiler. An IDE puts the text editor, compiler, and sometimes debugger all under one nice package.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:22:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 07:25:54 pm    Post subject:

Get Eclipse and then get the C/C++ plugin.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:26:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 07:26:50 pm    Post subject:

Eclipse has everything doesn't it?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 07:27:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 08:41:24 pm    Post subject:

josefnpat wrote:
about that blink tag.... unless i'm mistaken, it was a joke Razz
i wish... unfortuantly it was indeed a "feature" implimented on netscape during the browser wars of old

Quote:
But about the compatability of websites, they reakky only need to be mozilla and ie compatable, because those are the mainstream standards. Unless you're working on a whole different system, like a phone you don't really have to worry about it, as long as it appeasr the right way in mozilla and ie.
[post="74065"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and it really isn't that much more work than writing an invaild one and it reaches a broader audence; besides it is the right thing to do (also xhtml will soon be much much more useful and is much much less forgiving when it comes to errors; so it is good to get into the habit now)

Liazon wrote:
edit: btw, can anybody recommend a good free IDE for C++ and C?
[post="74091"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

i recamend Dev-C++; i have always found it incredibly useful and usable
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Last edited by Guest on 04 Apr 2006 08:41:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 08:47:32 pm    Post subject:

Ever head of KHTML? Gecko? Webkit? Opera (dont know the name of their rendering engine)? iCab? no.....well Webkit and Opera have passed acid2. iCab and KHTML only 1 error left to fix (stupid scrollbar on the side shouldn't show up). neither Gecko (mozilla) nor IE can say that.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Apr 2006 08:53:28 pm    Post subject:

Nor does it matter.

[/offtopic]
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 07:26:02 am    Post subject:

Tiberious726 wrote:
i recamend Dev-C++; i have always found it incredibly useful and usable
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
[post="74179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I recommend either that or Microsoft Visual C++ 6 or higher (if there is higher) which is what I used when I did some C++ things.
benryves

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 07:53:56 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I recommend either that or Microsoft Visual C++ 6 or higher (if there is higher) which is what I used when I did some C++ things.
[post="74212"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

VC++6 is an awful compiler. It's extremely old, and as such has a number of bugs and oddities. VS6 is also out of date.
The Express Edition of VC++.NET 2005 can be downloaded for free (totally free, it won't expire and doesn't even require registration if you download the full ISO rather than the web-installer) from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ (you can also download: C#, VB.NET, J#, Web Developer). Note that even though it says ".NET", it (VC++.NET) is perfectly capable of compiling native (non-.NET) applications. The C#, J#, and VB.NET are .NET only, though.
Bloodshed Dev-Cpp is OK, a little primitive, but pretty decent. Seeing as Visual Studio is the industry-standard development environment, it's pretty useful to get to grips with it :)

Incidentally, QBasic is not the same as QuickBasic. QBasic is a free version of QuickBasic that was bundled with DOS, and lacks the compiler and linker.
QuickBasic is a full development environment, and is very powerful. It is not "too high level" to be of any use - it has direct memory and hardware access. (See: DEFSEG and PEEK/POKE for memory access and IN/OUT/WAIT for hardware I/O). Of course, it's DOS, so you have to do your own memory management and if you want something like sound you have to write your own Sound Blaster "driver" in QB, which is not much fun Wink
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 08:24:57 am    Post subject:

I would've thought they'd have updated VC++ to 10 or so by now, or is that what .net and such are? Still, 6 did me well.

Quote:
PEEK/POKE
<3

Last edited by Guest on 05 Apr 2006 08:25:33 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 08:38:10 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I would've thought they'd have updated VC++ to 10 or so by now, or is that what .net and such are?[post="74223"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Visual Studio .NET 2003 is Visual Studio 7 (hence "VB7"), Visual Studio .NET 2005 is Visual Studio 8 (and therefore "VB8"). Microsoft are already working on Visual Studio 9's languages (VB9 and C#3).

The main issue with VC++6 is that the bugs in it render it standards incompliant (it refuses to compile some valid code, and will compile some completely invalid code).
CoBB

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 10:02:27 am    Post subject:

I prefer using just a compiler and a simple text editor (syntax highlighting and external program execution is far enough), and that's also what I recommend for a beginner. Getting familiar with the command line is still valuable knowledge, and lacking it will eventually bite you no matter how fancy your IDE is, since that's what it is built on too. While an IDE provides many comfortable features, those usually don't make a difference for tiny projects that come up while learning. They rather make sense for bigger projects. Learn to live without auto-completion and code generation first, and move on only when your base knowledge is solid.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 07:43:16 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
Bloodshed Dev-Cpp is OK, a little primitive, but pretty decent. Seeing as Visual Studio is the industry-standard development environment, it's pretty useful to get to grips with it Smile
[post="74215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

actually Dev-C++ uses the gcc compiler which is the industry standard while visual studios uses microsoft's compiler which isn't

CoBB wrote:
I prefer using just a compiler and a simple text editor (syntax highlighting and external program execution is far enough), and that's also what I recommend for a beginner. Getting familiar with the command line is still valuable knowledge, and lacking it will eventually bite you no matter how fancy your IDE is, since that's what it is built on too. While an IDE provides many comfortable features, those usually don't make a difference for tiny projects that come up while learning. They rather make sense for bigger projects. Learn to live without auto-completion and code generation first, and move on only when your base knowledge is solid.
[post="74229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

long live emacs and gcc Smile
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Apr 2006 08:07:12 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
[post="74229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that's probably why I like TIGCC. It's simple. I never knew IDEs could include auto-completion and code generation.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement