This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 10:44:48 am    Post subject:

I am working on building me a site and I have gotten help from someone more experiance then me with css and now I have the menu working. The thing which is bugging me is that it only works right in firefox. We tried it with IE and Opera and they sill not work right Sad. Not that I really care about IE, but alot of people have IE and not FF....I know there are alot of optimizations to be done, so if you want to let me know go ahead Razz. But the main point is I need to figure out how to make it compatable with IE and Opera. Thanks!

Here is the site, which will eventually be moved to kalan.us . Btw is it possible fo me to "call" the menu on each page, and not have to have the menu programmed into each page?

Edit: Well I have it aligned to the left like I want in IE, now I need to get IE to make the bars the correct lenght.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Feb 2006 11:48:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 12:19:30 pm    Post subject:

One way would be to use javascript to detect the browser one is using and redirect them according to what they are using although it takes more pages and extra programming.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 12:46:51 pm    Post subject:

If you plan on using CSS, then move away from the redundant HTML 4.01 attributes (width="", border="", valign="", <center>, etc.). Also, you aren't defining nearly enough for the browsers to start behaving in the same manner. Keep working at it, though—when you start to adhere to the correct web standards, any past problems with alternate browsers rendering it "correctly" (rather, how you want it to make the site look) begins to disappear over time.

Everyone who gets used to CSS has innumerable difficulties, so don't expect it to do what you want quickly and easily. It takes many, many weeks of undesired results and frustration, but it usually pays off in its regular fashion, in that it truly is a remarkably useful tool in web design. If you need pointers, don't hesitate to browse around different sites to see "how it's done." I'm even available on most protocols (when I'm not set as "away") for any individual questioning or critiquing.

Finally, JavaScript should only be used as a last resort, and we're certainly not there yet. Razz

Last edited by Guest on 15 Feb 2006 12:47:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 01:22:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the info guys, and yeah I am basicly just wanting the menu done with css and the rest in html. Thanks for the offer weregoose I will take it into consideration Very Happy. About JS I got code for a menu in JS from tr1p1ea and it works perfectly, though I don't understand much of it Razz. Thanks and I will work on this when I get home.

Edit: Nvm i got it to work now Very Happy
here, big big thanks to everyone on tcpa and MC!

Last edited by Guest on 15 Feb 2006 07:10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement