This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 06:53:41 pm    Post subject:

I say, don't be dependant on Win32! OpenGl is faster and open source and works natively on many *nix builds. : )

UML: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Modeling_Language
FC-OIM: http://www.fco-im.com/News.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modelling_languages

There are also modelling languages more specific to, for example, database models and such.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 09:50:53 pm    Post subject:

Just look at my screen name and try to guess my favorite language!

I also know Java, HTML, PHP, BASIC, and recently assembly.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 10:39:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm way too confused as to what you want. One second you want to put no effort in, the next you're learning C++, one second you want to do gui's, collision detecting, graphics with almost no effort, the next second you're learning OpenGL/DirectX.

Who knows.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 10:48:35 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I say, don't be dependant on Win32! OpenGl is faster and open source and works natively on many *nix builds. : )

UML: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Modeling_Language
FC-OIM: http://www.fco-im.com/News.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modelling_languages

There are also modelling languages more specific to, for example, database models and such.

definitely dont use DirectX. your work will appeal to a much larger audience that way
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 10:56:18 pm    Post subject:

Except Microsoft is really hurting OpenGL in Vista. Sad
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2006 11:14:57 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
[post="70139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Microsoft likes having proprietary software...we've known that for a long time

(granted Apple likes proprietary hardware, but Im not complaining cause it can run any *nix software that's opensource)
axcho

Posted: 17 Feb 2006 04:38:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm way too confused as to what you want. One second you want to put no effort in, the next you're learning C++, one second you want to do gui's, collision detecting, graphics with almost no effort, the next second you're learning OpenGL/DirectX.
Does this topic anger you or something? Because you are coming across as very angry, which incites me to act defensively.

I will try to explain calmly though. I know several programming languages, including C++. However, I am unfamiliar with the various libraries for the languages, such as DirectX. Without the libraries, I am restricted to making text-only programs. I would like to make graphical programs, but I find it difficult to find useful information on the libraries. Consequently, I come to you all to ask where to find useful information or if you have any advice for me. Preferably, I would like to spend the minimum required effort to gain a functional understanding of these libraries.

That about covers it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Feb 2006 05:31:42 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
[post="70139"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
And they have about year before release to get it working right. ; )
ducttape_87

Posted: 17 Feb 2006 08:57:34 pm    Post subject:

for c++, the SDL library is fairly easy to learn for doing 2D graphics and audio.
Simple DirectMedia Layer
axcho

Posted: 18 Feb 2006 12:25:26 am    Post subject:

That SDL library looks good, thanks!
axcho

Posted: 14 Mar 2006 08:31:16 pm    Post subject:

I have been learning Flash, and I think it works pretty well for what I have in mind. For anyone else who is interested, here is a useful tutorial that concisely explains the basics of detecting mouse and keyboard input, moving objects, and playing sounds.

I think it could also be useful to look into the PopCap Developer Program.
benryves

Posted: 16 Mar 2006 10:07:34 am    Post subject:

Repeat after me: Vista will not be getting rid of OpenGL.
Hooray FUD. :)

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/to...topic_id=338694

DirectX 10 will only run on Windows Vista, because of Vista's reworked driver model. Specifically, the graphics card will be a shared system resource (no more lost devices! Yay!).
However, the AeroGlass theme and so on will not require DirectX 10 hardware. A DirectX 9 graphics card is enough to run Vista in full hardware accelerated mode.

Back on topic; for PC programming, C#2 is probably the best language I've ever come across. For graphics, I'm using Managed DirectX. Microsoft's Visual Studio is an extremely good IDE -- not to mention it's a free download. I don't know how far Mono has got to running .NET applications (cross-platform). Seeing as there are ASP.NET apps running happily on Mono, it seems pretty good. WinForms is probably a bit sketchy, though.

DirectX, naturally, limits you to Windows-based platforms, which is a shame, as it's an extremely powerful and easy to use API.

SDL is pretty good for what it is -- a low-level graphics API. It's best feature, though, is the ability to create a window for working with OpenGL. A couple of lines of code and you've got a window up and running, ready for use with OpenGL without having to dig into the Win32 API to get things moving. I've used SDL with C for a number of software rendering projects, and a couple of OpenGL projects (you can never write too many terrain engines).

I can't comment on C++, having never used it. VB6 and under was horrible, VB7 (.NET) and above are better. However, it still lack features (no P/Invoke or unmanaged code!) which might be important to you. They are to me.
axcho

Posted: 04 May 2006 09:15:14 pm    Post subject:

I think I have found the programming language I have been looking for! Actually, it's not really a programming language, but then again, I wasn't exactly looking for a programming language anyway.

It is called Processing, kind of a language that compiles to a Java applet, with its own development environment and libraries. The great thing about it is that it makes graphics and input really easy! Just what I wanted! A quote from the FAQ:
Quote:
We think most “integrated development environments” (Microsoft Visual Studio, Codewarrior, Eclipse, etc.) tend to be overkill for the type of audience we're targeting with Processing. For this reason, we've introduced the 'sketchbook' which is a more lightweight way to organize projects. As trained designers, we'd like the process of coding to be a lot more like sketching. The sketchbook setup, and the idea of just sitting down and writing code (without having to write two pages to set up a graphics context, thread, etc) is a small step towards that goal.
(my emphasis)
The great thing is that it's free! Free and simple.

So if it wasn't clear what I was asking for originally, now you know: something like Processing.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 May 2006 01:15:15 pm    Post subject:

hmm....
you might want to try the allegro libraies for C they are simple to use (yes i know that there was debate in these forums before about allegro vs opengl, i would side with opengl here but allegro is indeed simpliler and that looks like what axcho wants...)

@axcho: i have found that once i know a langueage instead of having to translate my ideas into it i start thinking in it; much like a spoken language so you might want to give C more time; and the allegro libraies will help create a game easily tho i would recamend learning it from the ground up anyways
axcho

Posted: 05 May 2006 02:40:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@axcho: i have found that once i know a langueage instead of having to translate my ideas into it i start thinking in it; much like a spoken language so you might want to give C more time; and the allegro libraies will help create a game easily tho i would recamend learning it from the ground up anyways
I have no problem with the logic of C, but I think that Processing is better for me right now. Maybe once I want to have more power and make PC games, I will use Allegro. But for now, I will use Processing for making web games and prototypes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is the key thing about Processing:
Quote:
without having to write two pages to set up a graphics context, thread, etc

It's like the difference between HTML and the formatting language used in wikis. They both come out to the same thing on the web page, but the wiki text is limited to the most important and common formatting you will need. It is easier to read and edit though, which makes a huge difference in the survival of a wiki. Do you think that if Wikipedia required you to edit in HTML, it would be as popular as it is now?

I want a programming language like the wiki text. Processing is that programming language. The end. Neutral
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement