This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Alex

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 02:31:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, so what do you guys think of text-based RPGs for the 83+/84+? Like psycho, hobohunt, etc. Because i've been working on one for two or so days now and i'm done with all the scripting, like the fighting system, money system, etc. Except Im not done with the experience curves yet. I just need game content now. Like places to go, weapons, items, etc. So does that sound like a boring idea that has had 1000s of games in this category, or nothing too common? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks! Smile I'm not that new to Basic scripting, but compared to most of you guys im still a noob. I taught the language to myself without using any books or anything... So yeah, what do you think?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 02:55:38 pm    Post subject:

As long as the game is fun to play it's a good game.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 03:02:24 pm    Post subject:

in general Id much rather play something thats graphical, but it depends on how much fun you can make it. in the community there seems to be a lot of annoyance with them though
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 05:46:19 pm    Post subject:

Give it a plot - it's what most TI-Basic text RPGs lack.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Feb 2006 05:46:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 06:08:33 pm    Post subject:

Text based is tricky. If you need ideas, check this out.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 06:27:13 pm    Post subject:

I've found text based are fun if they have a cool plot. Otherwise they stink. I overall think graphical would be better because it just looks appealing.
Alex

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 07:32:42 pm    Post subject:

Yup, that's my problem. I lack ideas. I made the engine, if you can call it that. It's basically anything you need to run this kind of game. Now I just need a program to use all those. Like add in all the content. (weapons, items, money, plot, etc. I tried making a game where you're a guy with amnesia and you just realise you don't remember anything. You start out in a bar and then when you leave, someone attacks you for not paying (you don't have any money yet), so then you defeat him, and you're out on the streets. That's as far as I got (about 1.7kb of work) before I decided it was boring and going nowhere.

Also, not all the graphical RPGs are fun. Besides, I know I and probably some other people like reading better than watching. Whats the point of having a little pixel walking around if you can imagine like a smooth lawyer in a tux, you know?

So if anyone wants to give me ideas, im all ears. Well, eyes. Except for that one program that that guy made, the one Radical Pi linked to. ITS HUGE and it consists of tons of little programs. Whats the point of making it real time, its not much different from pause-enter time.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Feb 2006 07:38:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 08:14:52 pm    Post subject:

Mad :hmpf: Dry Neutral Neutral Razz
That's the only good textbased RPG i've seen. I didn't make it, if you want to know why it was done that way ask tifreak8x.
Pure

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 08:22:22 pm    Post subject:

As many have said, there are tons out there but a handful are good. Graphical is more globally appealing (especially to noobs) but if you have a great concept, everyone will love it.
Alex

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 08:23:50 pm    Post subject:

Pi: Lol, ok. Sorry, I didn't meant to make you sound bad. What's good about it? The actual plot or the game mechanics?

Pure: Yeah, its hard to think of ideas. I need to ask around.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Feb 2006 08:24:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 08:41:28 pm    Post subject:

Smile
It has a good story, enemies, it's optimized, and anyone who can read should enjoy it. (Not to be offensive to the the people that can't read reading this.)
Alex

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 09:50:17 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 09:54:26 pm    Post subject:

i made a texted based rpg once, i called it battle, since it was pretty much that. I made a basic engine for it, defense/attack, but it lacked a good storyline. I tried to remake it with a storyline, but it didn't work out like i planned since it messed up a my engine coding because i had to add a lot of special events. other than that it was a good game. if you ask me, if you can get a good storyline for your engine, it'd work out fine.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 10:13:12 pm    Post subject:

Alex wrote:
Very Happy

just a tip: in general, one word posts, or posts with one word and a smiley, or just a smiley are generally frowned up. try to come up wit something a little longer
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 10:24:03 pm    Post subject:

Oh and remember:

Intricately designed combat stardegy: good.
Press enter to attack and lots of grinding: bad.

Demon's are alway's a good place to start storyline wise in my oppinion. But I'm biased being that I am a demon :biggrin: .
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Feb 2006 10:30:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

if it were "Press 2nd to attack and lots of grinding: bad." I'd like it, i can't stand programs that use Pause, cause i don't like reaching down to the enter button. use "Repeat getkey=21:End"!!!
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 03:56:07 pm    Post subject:

When I had my 83+ i made a textbased rpg and my friends enjoyed it. It kinda had a plot. Or maybe they enjoyed it for its M rated content/hilariousnessicity... =X .
Alex

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 07:08:27 pm    Post subject:

Sorry elfprince. Yeah, im not new to forums, and I shoulda thought about that. Now, to make this one not pointless, I shall say something.

Yeah, i can't think of a plot. Ill try to make something, though. Something original. Hmm...
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 08:26:37 pm    Post subject:

shortround4271 wrote:
Quote:

if it were "Press 2nd to attack and lots of grinding: bad." I'd like it, i can't stand programs that use Pause, cause i don't like reaching down to the enter button. use "Repeat getkey=21:End"!!!
[post="69890"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

darn! my first project is like that. oh well, I hope you still like it.

I think story is the most important in a text RPG.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Feb 2006 08:27:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
lolje

Posted: 15 Feb 2006 02:28:05 pm    Post subject:

hmmm basicly I have nothing to say agauĂ­nst text based rpgs
(They can make fun,too)
but I prefere to play graphically rpgs even if the graphics were bad - I think its better to have graphics than to have no graphics at all anyway.
I think if you make a game without graphics (textbased) you can't create any atmosphere (which is in my oppinion very important for a game).

So, programmers of this world, make you games graphically if you can!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement