This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 May 2006 07:40:10 pm    Post subject:

If you call a program without returning you also create a memory leek just like having extra goto's. If you want a fair test you should do ...
prgmTEST
If ans=10
return
for(I,1,1000000000000
prgmTEST
End

...and we get no ERR:MEMORY
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 May 2006 08:08:42 pm    Post subject:

Yes but my point was that it would create memory leaks by running the program. Using return makes my experiment null. I'm pretty sure I'm being misunerstood:

I was trying to show that by running a program it causes a small ammount of memory to be used.
lolje

Posted: 08 May 2006 12:01:40 pm    Post subject:

sorry, I'm completely :confused: ...
Whatz the problem !?

lol it was just a little joke^^

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2006 05:00:06 am; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 May 2006 01:35:04 pm    Post subject:

You know, you could download that and edit it into an attachment (like this), and make it not take up half the screen.[attachment=751:attachment]Also, I think that most of us have heard of Twilight Princess, and maybe have seen that poster. Oh well, it's your own topic you're spamming.
lolje

Posted: 09 May 2006 05:01:40 am    Post subject:

Age of culture v1.5 has been submitted in the archives now. Smile
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2006 09:02:33 am    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
You know, you could download that and edit it into an attachment (like this), and make it not take up half the screen.[attachment=751:attachment]Also, I think that most of us have heard of Twilight Princess, and maybe have seen that poster. Oh well, it's your own topic you're spamming.
[post="78564"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Neutral huh? did I miss something?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 May 2006 09:09:33 am    Post subject:

Yes. lolje had posted a screen-size poster, ending with a </spam> at the end. As you can see, he's edited it out.
lolje

Posted: 09 May 2006 10:31:38 am    Post subject:

lol :biggrin:
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 May 2006 06:43:35 pm    Post subject:

Well, I downloaded and played the game for the first time last night and was impressed by it's appearance. Nice job with the interface!

The menu system was most impressive, all the menus looked fantastic and operated beautifully. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the game progress while I was in some menus (but not all). The gameplay wasn't bad, although it grew easy quickly. There were only two drawbacks: speed (not too bad, but could be improved), and the lack of upgrades. (Oh, and cavalry was spelled wrong)
When I get the chance I'll look at the code; if you want I can post suggestions for improvement.
lolje

Posted: 10 May 2006 10:57:40 am    Post subject:

ya, feel free to post tips to improve the game - that is what this topic is for.
cavalry :biggrin: lol
Speed of what could be improved? Arrow moving? Ressource-timer? Menu-getkey?

I still need a story and I don't really feel able to write a good one - english is not my native language and i have no idea what to write into the story Sad

thx to everyone,
lolje
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2006 12:39:51 pm    Post subject:

has weregoose disected it yet?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2006 12:52:40 pm    Post subject:

No—does he really want me to? Razz
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 10 May 2006 01:21:28 pm    Post subject:

I have tried the game on my TI-84+ SE and it crashes randomly. I don't know why.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 May 2006 03:49:58 pm    Post subject:

lolje wrote:
ya, feel free to post tips to improve the game - that is what this topic is for.
cavalry  :biggrin: lol
Speed of what could be improved? Arrow moving? Ressource-timer? Menu-getkey?

I still need a story and I don't really feel able to write a good one - english is not my native language and i have no idea what to write into the story Sad

thx to everyone,
lolje  [post="78853"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
If you are having problems with the story, you can post parts of it in German and I'll help with the translation.

I looked at the code today and noticed you already incorporated most of the space- and time- saving tricks. There are still a few more to be squeezed out, though.
(1)Ending parentheses: you got most, but there are still some in there.
(1a)You can eliminate any parentheses (or brackets []) before a ->.
(1b)Rearrange the terms to bring a parenthesis to the end before chopping it off:

Code:
W+(X=1)W->W

Code:
W+W(X=1->W

(2)not( works like =0, so you can rearrage If statements like this:

Code:
If X=0    |  If X!=0

Code:
If not(X  |  If X

(3)I didn't search the whole code, but I did find at least one Goto inside of an If-Then block. This is the cause of the memory leak mentioned earlier. It's a bit longer, but rewrite it like this:

Code:
If X=4:Then
<blah, blah, blah>
End
If X=4:Goto 4

(4)Ans can be used to improve speed by just a bit, but it helps and doesn't cost any space:

Code:
X+C->D
Ans+21A->F    //use Ans here instead of D

Those are all the one-line tricks I can remember I saw, for the more detailed ones I'll have to look at the structure in SourceCoder.
lolje

Posted: 11 May 2006 01:41:19 pm    Post subject:

I just use Ans when the variable is needed directly after the getkey - I didn't use it here because the variable is needed many times and it's bug free.

I also don't really care of those 1-byte-optimizings. When I see a line to optimize this way like leaving of the breackets, I do it - but I don't go through the whole code just to correct every little byte which doesn't really have an effect on the speed.

But I think point (3) could be very useful for speed.

oh and I don't know what is ment by a 'memory leak' - sorry :biggrin: I have no idea...

Besides the story - the problem is, I do not really have an idea what to write about. Confused ´that's quite a pritty big problem cause I know the game would be a way better WITH a story Sad sorry

By the way, thx to alexrudd

lolje

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2006 01:41:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 May 2006 03:18:40 pm    Post subject:

A memory leak is when your calculator stores in it's RAM the location where you came from or to search for an END and you never return or reach the END and it is still using up memory to find the END. When you go through the loop each time it compounds untill it has to store thousands of bytes for looking for END's that it will never reach. Eventually it runs out of available memory and says ERR:MEMORY. Or if you are in Mirage it will automatically quit and people will think it crashes.

Last edited by Guest on 28 May 2006 08:22:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 May 2006 05:05:48 pm    Post subject:

lolje wrote:
I just use Ans when the variable is needed directly after the getkey - I didn't use it here because the variable is needed many times and it's bug free.
Sorry, I'm confused. Are you referring to (4)? I know it works fine with a regular variable, and Ans is exactly the same size, but using Ans instead of a variable is a tiny bit faster. You won't really notice it once, but in a loop it will prove faster.
lolje wrote:
I also don't really care of those 1-byte-optimizings. When I see a line to optimize this way like leaving of the breackets, I do it - but I don't go through the whole code just to correct every little byte which doesn't really have an effect on the speed.
Yeah, but if there are a lot of 1-byte saves, they add up - which means more room for features.
lolje wrote:
By the way, thx to alexrudd  [post="78986"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Any time.
lolje

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 06:32:04 am    Post subject:

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a story for Age of culture. There is already alittle intro and a test program, which will display the texts. If you are interested, click on the following link, which will open the 'Age of culture'-forum on omnimaga.
>>> Age of culture forum

Thanks to dragon_lance for the great intro!
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 07:52:42 pm    Post subject:

Yay - having a storyline will be a great improvement.

If you need space, why not try implementing the "1-byte" optimizations? They should free up several hundred bytes maybe, which means more room for text!
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Aug 2006 08:15:45 pm    Post subject:

So lolje, is this game finished in its state right now, and you're just going to dedicate all your time to the new improved AOC 2?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 8 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement