This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 18 Aug 2003 04:02:23 pm    Post subject:

Well, some of you might know what Magic: the Gathering is(search google), and I'm working on putting it on a calculator. Unfortunately, it will be highly modular. But I don't care. The completed program will run so that you don't have to change do anything, except make the decisions, yourself. The calc will compute everything itself. It will require using two calculators. I'm already planning methods of saving space, but creating cards and decks will require experienced programmers, so don't think it will make it easier. It'll just take up less physical space than decks. It will be in basic, but tests have proven that it won't actually take a lot of time to run. Of course, it could still take longer than a real game. Also, it will be uniquely programmed to run in a manner that there is no "Player 1" or "Player 2". Each one will feel that it is player 1, and that the other is Player 2. While this may seem impossible, or at the very least pointless, it will save quite a bit of space. The other option would be to have two separate coppies of the program that use different variables put in one, and I can assure you that one coppy will be large enough in itself.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2003 10:49:31 pm    Post subject:

Well i would love to see that. I love MTG and I have like the best cards out there. However, there are alot of magic cards out there. ALOT and I dont realy know how it would work b/c you cant possibly program all the cards in, ecpecially in BASIC. How would you make your own deck and all that junk. The idea is hot but how it will be done, you'll have to explain in more detail...
62 52 53 53

Posted: 19 Aug 2003 04:07:59 pm    Post subject:

well, it's sort of complicated. the main program runs the deck program at certain times, and the deck prog runs the card programs, which store things in a list, and then based on the contents of the list, the subroutine program does stuff. each phase will have it's own set of instructions to be executed automatically, including checking cards. Of course, you will need to be a programmer to make cards for this. And somewhat of a programmer to put cards in decks, though not much more than changing a program name and a few values. Because of this, it will either be usable only by good programmers, have enough cards distributed for decent programmers to make decks, or have premade decks distributed. At the beginning, it will probably be the first, then either the second or third, depending on how many programmers make cards.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2003 07:18:44 am    Post subject:

What a project, are you going to make just some of the cards, because it would be literally impossible to make them all. All those sprites and texts, spells, it'll be alot of work. It'll be awesome when done though!
62 52 53 53

Posted: 22 Aug 2003 07:32:29 pm    Post subject:

hehe. I am making the main program, and about two decks. Then I'll release it with that. I'll see what happens from there. I might publish documentation to help people program cards and make them into decks. Or people might be able to figure it out on thier own. I'm willing to bet people will make thier own subroutines for more complicated cards. I will request that all routines be e-mailed to me so that I can integrate and release them in new prog versions. I will use a UTI splash screen that I made. Actually, I should probably release them to UTI members and staff, just in case anyone else programs anything in basic that they want associated with the group. Then again, maby we could have some type of competition. well, I'll ask about it in the member forum.

Actually, my whole motivation for this is that I am trying to make my own fake magic set, (did I mention I'm a crazy fool(hey,I know more crazy fools. One of them already did this. A full main set. He is about 3 years older than me though, so I can still possibly mannage by the time I'm the same age he was), but a smart one?) and need to be able to playtest certain cards. Releasing it will just be an added benefit. My first REALLY MAJOR project. I mean, by the time I can try them, it'll be easy enough to make two decks.

And I need an oppinion.
What format should I adhere to when I finally make the decks? type 1? or something else? should they have to be tournament legal? or should I let those grey cards in?
Twiztid33

Posted: 23 Aug 2003 03:42:52 pm    Post subject:

you should do it in any type you want, i always wanted to play magic...just never got around to it but if it is on the calculator then it would be cool and i would definently download it and play it alot
62 52 53 53

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 09:15:04 am    Post subject:

I'd end up doing it in some obscure format that nobody could play if I took that advice. Well, I could play it, but I mainly play casually, and besides, I think some aspects of the way I play would be way too much trouble to program. It'll only work if the phases have a set order, and the method I generally use doesen't have a consistent order.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 11:44:07 am    Post subject:

BASIC or ASM?
I could always help out with the coding, but NOT graphics
62 52 53 53

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 09:07:27 pm    Post subject:

basic, and i'm not doing graphics unless someone adds them at the end
anduril66
Anduril is the Flame of the West!

Posted: 05 Sep 2003 12:26:42 pm    Post subject:

Opinions:

About the format: block cycles

Choose a cycle (I like the Rath cycle best). This will limit the choice of cards and the amount of rules. Or, just use a starter level set, such as 7th Edition or Portal because it will be easier to program.

Yes, the cards should be tournament legal.

Grey cards=Unglued? They shouldn't be allowed.

I'm interested in your project.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 05 Sep 2003 04:24:27 pm    Post subject:

Anything will be allowed, if programmed so, but nobody will want to play if you don't use real cards.

Anyway, you want one cycle, tournament legal, but not necessarily type 2? OK, I'll work with that.

Edit:

If anyone wants to help with anything I would appreciate it. One thing I would like is:
A list of routines you think would be useful. (don't want to forget any)

So far I have:
remove from (area)
Add to (area)
Tap
untap
combat

Last edited by Guest on 06 Sep 2003 06:18:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement