This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 06:36:23 pm    Post subject:

Recently (specifically, during yesterday's morning midterm) I got up the courage to look over the code for Donut Quest with the potential plan for making a new version. When I found a rather magnificent size optimization in the level structure (I cut the program size down by 20% or about 800 bytes), and found a feature of the game I previously didn't know existed, that plan became a reality.

It's (still) the plan to make a new version of Donut Quest that allows external level sets. Technically speaking, this is about 90% done already, but I'd also like to make up some new levels to demonstrate some of the things you could do, as well as to give people an incentive to download the new version.

I'd also like to find out if Donut Quest is TI-83 (plain) compatible. I consciously avoided any potentially problematic areas (such as large graph text and use of the archive), but all that may be undone if I find out that some of the characters I use (and really can't do without) don't exist on the TI-83. The link only contains the .8xp version, so the only ways I see of testing it on the 83 plain are trying to send it to the calculator anyway, sending it from an 83+ to an 83, or me getting an 83 calculator from somewhere (pretty unlikely).

Finally, I'd put in additional features if I knew what the game lacked. Please make suggestions so I can improve the game!
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 06:51:36 pm    Post subject:

well, as far as i know, the 83 and 83+ have identical character sets, at least the set that's generally available to the user.

i haven't played it, so i don't know if you already implemented this, but do you have a good, solid, overarching story-line? people who like story-games would find that a good reason to try the game, and people who are just interested in the puzzle-part and aren't too interested in a story could just ignore it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 07:41:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't (or indeed any storyline), but could easily do this for the new version. Thanks!
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 07:48:06 pm    Post subject:

AWESOME!!! still haven't played original though Sad
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 07:53:06 pm    Post subject:

Make some easy levels. I couldn't get past lvl 3/4.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 07:58:56 pm    Post subject:

Generally, 1 and 2 are the easy levels :-)

Sounds good, I liked the original alot, and was impressed by it.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 08:48:53 pm    Post subject:

you could make it kinda like DDR and be searching for a whole bunch of things, and the only way to get them is to have a dance off err I mean beat the puzzle that they set up for you to get trapped in.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 11:47:35 am    Post subject:

allow for external levels would be cool. Then we could make our own ( I beat all 6 levels of the original on the way to Yellowstone this summer).

it wouldn't that hard to test it on regular 83 if you just open up Graph Link, copy it, then create a new 83 program and paste the code back in.....I dont have a 83 though, or Id test for you.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jan 2006 03:01:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 04:28:33 pm    Post subject:

According to CoBB here it does work on the 83. Which is good news.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2006 05:40:39 pm    Post subject:

Will there be progress on this over the summer? Maybe hire a few extra hands in level design?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 May 2006 06:13:41 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I must have completely missed this topic the first time around.
Ironically enough, the only person I know with an 83 was absolutely addicted to Donut Quest. I never got a chance to send it to his 83 though, and now he's using a 84+.

What improvement did you find for the level storage? I tried to think of a better way, but could never come up with it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2006 07:54:28 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Will there be progress on this over the summer? Maybe hire a few extra hands in level design?  [post="79368"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
There will be progress; in fact there already has been, I just haven't gotten around to updating any page about it. I've made four levels, and am planning to (at least partially) randomly generate some of them. I also have conceived of a general plot arc for the sequel (yes, it will have a plot).

I don't know how many levels there will be, I'm planning twelve so far. Depends on how plot things and RAM space go.

alexrudd wrote:
Hmm, I must have completely missed this topic the first time around.
Ironically enough, the only person I know with an 83 was absolutely addicted to Donut Quest.  I never got a chance to send it to his 83 though, and now he's using a 84+.

What improvement did you find for the level storage?  I tried to think of a better way, but could never come up with it.  [post="79372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The improvement for the level storage came when I realized that in a statement like [[1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ... -> [A] at least half the size came from commas. I promptly threw out the commas, so each level is now (initially, at least) stored as a list with fifteen 10-digit elements. This limits me to ten types of blocks, I guess, but since I can change the tile set for each level it isn't a huge limitation.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2006 09:24:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2006 08:39:49 pm    Post subject:

I totally missed this topic, I loved the original and I look forward to the 2nd edition Razz. Yeah matrices are pretty heafty, and in your case (drawing tile by tile) it wouldn't be much of a slow down if at all when making the map (drawing). One thing though, aren't lists slower? You could possibly make it use strings instead, but that would be a little more complicated when over writing (moving a tile). But if you could figure a effective way to utilize strings in the levels (not the drawing), it would provide more of a viaritey of tiles and the size would be smaller than list (in level storage at least).
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2006 08:52:54 pm    Post subject:

I still use a matrix when the game is actually running, it's just that storing the data to a list and then converting it to a matrix ends up being much smaller than storing it to a matrix in the first place. I chose the list in this case because the list>mat( function provided a fast (only 1-2 seconds) conversion routine to the matrix, something that could easily take 10 or 15 seconds otherwise.
kalan_vod

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2006 09:50:38 pm    Post subject:

Ok, well that is a good way to do it Razz.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 04:27:16 pm    Post subject:

YES IT'S SCREENSHOTS.

YES THEY'RE LIKE HALF A YEAR LATER AND NO I DON'T HAVE A WORK ETHIC.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 04:57:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm curious as to how you implemented external levels.
I've been working on a program that uses lists to store map data, at 45 bytes/level. (Might switch to strings if I can get better).

I had two ideas for external levels:
* Have one "master level list," say LLEVEL. External levelsets would be programs that append to the end of the list, which stays in RAM or archive.
Pros: only need to run level program once. Cons: can't display name of level
* Have the main program callable by the external level programs. To run a level, the program stores its (hardcoded) level data into LLEVEL, sets some variable, and passes the name of the levelset as a string. The main program either uses the built-in levels, or overrides them if the variable it looks for is set.
Pros: Level names. Easy deletion of levels. Cons: Level editor would be tough. External levels would have to be run one at a time through separate programs.

Which method does DQ2 use (or something completely different)?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Oct 2006 04:58:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 05:44:59 pm    Post subject:

Initially I was planning something along the lines of your second idea, but then I decided against it, mainly because I believe the "setting some variable" method to be awkward. Now I use lists for external levels. Everything is stored in the list, and to run the external level, you just run Donut Quest, select the 'external level' option, and type in the name of the list.

The one disadvantage is that a program can't create a list with a name the user types in. The level editor as it is now just stores the level to L1, and then the user would type in L1→NAME to name the list (after the program exits).
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 05:57:02 pm    Post subject:

How do you access the list that somebody types in? Do they have to type in LNAME, or is there some secret way to access the list given its name?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Oct 2006 06:03:53 pm    Post subject:

[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]expr("L"+Str0 works Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement