This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 03:30:49 am    Post subject:

Hey all!

I was thinking that, if it's possible to have something like WhatTheFont?!, then it would be somewhat remotely possible to have something like WhatThePic?!

For example, someone uploads this picture:

It would find these pics:

It could use Google image and would, perhaps, have a percentage meter: the higher the percentage, the more pictures it'll search but the slower it'll be.

So, here are a few questions:
How does WhatTheFont?! do its search? Would this be even remotely possible? What language could I use?

Edit: Check it out: Link (Go ahead and upload something. Click the links around too...)

Edit 2.0: Tsk tsk, Mr. MSIE. Tsk tsk...

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jan 2006 07:06:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 12:44:13 pm    Post subject:

I think you could do it in several ways once you have rasterized data:
edge detection algorithms
change colour curves
change colour levels
change colour tresholds (most effective I think)
Then compare.

Do this for several magnitudes and compare (logic AND on rgb values or (rgb_value_at_a_loc_in_pic1/rgb_value_at_a_loc_in_pic2*100%) or whatever) each image's data afterwards with the same technique applied to the original, measure how much % they are similar then sort the results on how similar they are.

Or just google it:

http://www.google.nl/search?q=image+compar...:en-US:official

Any server sided language should be able to do this. PHP, Perl, JSP, etc.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jan 2006 12:44:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 12:59:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Smile - Yeah, I was thinking PHP would help.

Good ideas, aww. Some other criteria it could include are:
filesize
filetype
dimensions
colors present in image
etc...

This could potentially be huge. I heard WhatTheFont has over 20,000 unique visitors per day.

------------------------------------------------
Stuff I've been finding:

Theory on Image-based searches

Hausdorff method of image comparison

PictureRelate's method of similarity detection

Image Comparer - Exactly what I plan to do, but not web-based. (It's also pretty bad. It only found two similarities in the banana pictures: between the big banana and small banana).

A similar program and another (these ones found that all yellow bananas are potential duplicates). "Another" is best since it's free.

------------------------------------------------
Some useful PHP commands:
imagesx -- Get image width
imagesy -- Get image height
getimagesize -- Get the size of an image
imagecolorclosest -- Get the index of the closest color to the specified color
imagecolorclosestalpha -- Get the index of the closest color to the specified color + alpha
imagecolorclosesthwb -- Get the index of the color which has the hue, white and blackness nearest to the given color
imagecolorexact -- Get the index of the specified color
imagecolorresolve -- Get the index of the specified color or its closest possible alternative
imagecolorresolvealpha -- Get the index of the specified color + alpha or its closest possible alternative
imagecolorsforindex -- Get the colors for an index

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jan 2006 01:56:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 06:17:51 pm    Post subject:

I dont know if this would be possible but if you were to upload an image it should tell you what it is an image of.

Like if you uploaded it would bring you to a page that said "This is the banana from the "Rejected" cartoons video" and on that page have the similar pictures (essentially what WhatTheFont does...... tell you what font the text is in and have a page of similar fonts Smile )
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 06:40:19 pm    Post subject:

That would work too. I'll keep thinkin' about it: maybe get some people I know to work on it.
http://www.whatthepic.tk/
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 11:05:05 pm    Post subject:

Please, not dot tk, it doesn't work. period.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2006 09:32:51 am    Post subject:

lol... I will eventually get a .com, I know someone who resells them and she said she'd get me one for her price.
For now, i'll stick with a sucx.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jan 2006 05:55:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement