This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> Math and Science

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raster

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 12:50:18 am    Post subject:

My dad brought up a great point. The theory of relativity is that any matter with mass, going the speed of light, would become infinitly dence. Now what is light? Its energy. Does energy have mass? I would say so, because if you were to charge a battery, weigh it, discharge it, and weigh it again, there is less weight, than what you started with. So energy has mass. But if energy has mass, and it is travelling at the speed of light, wouldnt it become infinitly dence, absorbing anything in its path?

I would also like to add something. Is the speed of light varied when it travels through substances such as air? If so, wouldnt that mean what we believe the speed of light is, is not true?

Thank you Einstein for making the world think.

[EDIT]

Also, if it has mass, could it travel the speed of light?

[EDIT*2]

Theory of Relativity

Last edited by Guest on 31 Dec 2005 12:59:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 01:08:39 am    Post subject:

i believe the speed of light is constant, however it can be bent by gravity
Raster

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 01:21:21 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
i believe the speed of light is constant, however it can be bent by gravity
[post="65562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gravity may have a great effect on it, since there is alittle gravity, no matter where you go Smile .
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 01:49:09 am    Post subject:

Light does not have mass.

And yes, the speed of light varies in different substances, and yes, we can/have manipulated it.
Raster

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 01:54:59 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Light does not have mass.

And yes, the speed of light varies in different substances, and yes, we can/have manipulated it.
[post="65570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, if it has no mass... How could it exist? Could it be something we just imagen?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 02:04:07 am    Post subject:

None of us are even near qualified to talk about any of this, I don't see why these topics keep coming up. And a google search solves anything.
Raster

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 02:24:39 am    Post subject:

Im just presenting an idea... Just all speculation, Im not trying to prove anything. Thats what a forum is partly for, just to talk.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 05:08:14 am    Post subject:

it's an interesting way to look at it.. didn't he mean if you go FASTER than light, you become infinitely dense?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 06:08:36 am    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
But if energy has mass, and it is travelling at the speed of light, wouldnt it become infinitly dence, absorbing anything in its path?
Light travels at that speed and does not absorb everything in it's path, so no. : )

I bet you could travel past the speed of light when going towards a black hole. : )
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 06:42:09 am    Post subject:

I always understood that light was a form of energy, and not a physical object. It has no more mass than fire or electricity.

Brazucs, why don't you ask your avatar if we're correct about this?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 09:17:39 am    Post subject:

Electricity = electrons, which do have a resting mass (they're not just kinetic energy when they move, like light is I think).

Don't know about fire, but AFAIK the flames are just heated gasses formed by a chemical reaction between a heated fuel, and oxygen, so whatever makes up the flames would have mass as well (probably some kind of combination of the fuel molecules and whatever's in the air, in a gaseous state). Never thought much about fire though (it's pretty, warm, and oxidation of your body hurts, what else do you have to know? Very Happy).

About light, I know that quantum theory states that light is made up of a low energy particle called a photon. If I remember my physics class correctly it did in fact have a mass, which makes sense when you think of E=mc² since then m can't be 0 as there wouldn't be any energy in light. Which can't be right since it's moving. I don't know what happens when light stops moving, which I've heard is possible. E would equal it's resting mass, and if light is just a wave with kinetic energy then without the kinetic energy it shouldn't have a resting mass. 8)

But I know that quantum theory also states that light (and all matter) is both a particle and a wave at the same time, showing whatever you're trying to observe. (Einstein was probably the one that figured that out)

Last edited by Guest on 31 Dec 2005 09:27:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 11:13:37 am    Post subject:

The mass of batteries is increased by polarized substances which then realese electrons which contain energy. Or so I'd think. Energy has no mass, but the substance containing the energy does.

Quote:
Which can't be right since it's moving.

Inertia

Also:

You go on two different roller coasters each with a 50m total distance from starting point. One goes up and down; and one shoots foward. They both get there in the same ammount of time. But the one that moves over more hills moves faster (DeltaV=d/t)! Now think of the roller coasters as light. Each light partical based on waveleanth accually moves at different speeds. Or at least faster then the speed of light!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 12:38:18 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
The mass of batteries is increased by polarized substances which then realese electrons which contain energy.  Or so I'd think.  Energy has no mass, but the substance containing the energy does.
According to E=mc², energy has a mass, because a moving object has mass equal to resting mass + kinetic energy. When the object is at rest, the resting mass is still made up of energy.

Super Speler wrote:
Quote:
Which can't be right since it's moving.

Inertia

Also:

You go on two different roller coasters each with a 50m total distance from starting point. One goes up and down; and one shoots foward. They both get there in the same ammount of time. But the one that moves over more hills moves faster (DeltaV=d/t)! Now think of the roller coasters as light. Each light partical based on waveleanth accually moves at different speeds. Or at least faster then the speed of light!
[post="65593"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Hmm, I see what you're getting at, but I don't think that when talking about light as a particle you can still see it as a wave at the same time.

So it's either a particle with a mass, or a wave with a wavelength and amplitude depending on the experiment you observed the light with.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 02:41:51 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I don't think that when talking about light as a particle you can still see it as a wave at the same time.

So it's either a particle with a mass, or a wave with a wavelength and amplitude depending on the experiment you observed the light with.  [post="65599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Eh, I really don't know much about what I'm saying, but I thought one of the biggest debates in physics was whether light was a particle, a wave, or a wave of particles?
Raster

Posted: 31 Dec 2005 03:00:04 pm    Post subject:

Haha, when I make a topic, there is almost always alot of discussion. Smile Back to buisness...

I thought of something interesting... What if energy has mass, but the energy itself creates some sort of negative force against the mass of itself, Nulling out the mass of itself? Im confusing myself... :confused:
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 08:03:15 pm    Post subject:

1) Light has no mass.
2) Gravity cannot bend light, because light has no mass.
3) If it doesn't hit anything, light will always go in a straight line.
4) What gravity does is bend the 4-dimensional space/time, altering the apparent path of the light.
5) Black Holes bend light back sharper than it can escape.
6)

Basically.

Quote:
I thought of something interesting... What if energy has mass, but the energy itself creates some sort of negative force against the mass of itself, Nulling out the mass of itself?
That is the definition of antimatter.
Quote:
The speed of light is not changed. It simply takes a longer route on the molecular level. Except for around cosmic strings, which may or may not exist, the speed of light has been constant since the Big Bang, though time and distance can be altered, according to Relativity.

1st post. Yay Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jan 2006 08:14:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 08:07:09 pm    Post subject:

There are 11 dimensions of space-time, perhaps even 12.

Hyperspace is a good book...
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 08:12:43 pm    Post subject:

That FrostBite I am almost 100% sure is wrong.

Light is Energy.
Energy=Mass*speedoflight quared
If mass=zero then zero*speedoflight squared is zero and E of light deffinatly is not zero. Light by definition is energy!
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 08:19:39 pm    Post subject:

Radical Pi wrote:
There are 11 dimensions of space-time, perhaps even 12.

Hyperspace is a good book...
[post="67975"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's M-Theory. They were talking about Relativity, in which only the first four are used.

The way E=MC^2 is being used, E refers to an object's kinetic energy. Light has no mass and thus no kinetic energy. 0 = (0)MC^2. Light is not subject to relativistic limits.
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 08:23:28 pm    Post subject:

And the 12 one is F-Theory.

Welcome to UTI, Fr0stbyte124!

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jan 2006 08:25:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement