This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> Math and Science

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 09:58:21 pm    Post subject:

I've always wondered if it is possible to have any form of psychic power. Telekinesis, Telepathy, pyrokinesis, psychometabolism, just to name a few.

I have no background in this kind of stuff; Biology class didn't touch neuroscience.

My hope is that yes, it is possible that human beings can develope a certain degree of psychic power. I can only logically explain some of the above powers.

Psychometabolism is basically a "smarter" endocrine/nervous system. You can will yourself to allocate nutrients a certain way. But considering how our immune systems and bodies are constantly evolving, this could be a possibility.

My explanation for Telepathy and Telekinesis is that the electric synapses generate enough electromagnetic force to manipulate matter. It can also cause a frequency of energy to be released. The only thing is that electromagnetism is such a weak force though.

Pyrokinesis is an offshoot of Telekinesis; you move air molecules with you mind fast enough to produce enough heat, through friction, that flammable material catch fire. Or you can rearrange atoms with your mind to form hydrogen out of oxygen and ignite them.

Hypercognition: Ya, we become super smart, that's a possible evolutionary path. I mean, you guys are all super smart already.

Psychoportation: Offshoot of Telekinesis and pyschometabolism. You move yourself faster, or slow the world around you to the the time travel stuff.

btw, I got these words from the Psionics Handbook supplement for D&D.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:09:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
How 'bout the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away...
with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle.

--AlienCC
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:11:50 pm    Post subject:

All pseudoscience/supernatural stuff blows. Especially if you're gonna be a biologist like me.
Go ahead: tell me how ANY one of those can be scientifically possible.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 10:14:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:12:19 pm    Post subject:

Psychometabolism was my choice. I mean, it's the closest I'm going to come from those options mentioned. I already feel like I'm kind of there anyway because I keep a state of mind that I won't be sick and I have been three, maybe four times in the past seven or eight years. More power to me. Laughing
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:18:31 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
All pseudoscience/supernatural stuff blows. Especially if you're gonna be a scientist like me.
Go ahead: tell me how ANY one of those can be scientifically possible.
[post="62947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you believe in mind of matter? You'd be surprised how important will is in anything you do. And I actually hope that spirtuality/force of will can overcome the science dominated world we live in.

But one of the main reasons why I asked this is because I'm thinking about making my first game an RPG (not sure if Basic or ASM, or C for 89) that has a Pyschic power based storyline. Yes. That will be my goal. I'll just continue learning and incorporate what I learn into it slowly. I'll probably have to start during the summer though because I'm really busy now. (Or I can program Basic during classes on 89 :biggrin:)

So ya, it should be more like what would you like in the game? Cause I should probably start only with one or two powers first.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:37:07 pm    Post subject:

Consider how the evolutionary process works: What society would have to do is to agree to eliminate all but those who seem to possess these uncanny traits, and in the hope that the survivors continue to procreate. No substantial progress could be made otherwise. By the way, I'm already psychic.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:38:16 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that'd be very interesting background to my story. A guy who uses his psychic powers to battle the system that gave them to him in the first place.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:51:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Psychometabolism is basically a "smarter" endocrine/nervous system. You can will yourself to allocate nutrients a certain way

I agree totally. You are in charge of your body, your body is not in charge of you. If you have a strong enough mind to take over automatic body functions, you can will yourself to work a certain way. I never though there was really much special about that. I've pretty much mastered it. I personally think I have an extremely strong mind. So many odd things have happened to me along these lines.

About the others, I've dabbled in it, and have some ideas, but I'll stay away from those for now.

[EDIT]

Quote:
What society would have to do is to agree to eliminate all but those who seem to possess these uncanny traits, and in the hope that the survivors continue to procreate. No substantial progress could be made otherwise.

True. Our current society has peaked pretty far. Is this the end of evolution for humans? Is there any farther to go? Evolution does take thousands/millions of years though.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 10:57:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:56:23 pm    Post subject:

-scribbles "note to self, make main character like the Hulk"

maybe someone should delete this topic. It's not very productive. Apparently, ppl here can accept fantasy stuff, but they can't accept this kind of scifi.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 11:02:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 11:43:24 pm    Post subject:

It's been up for like an hour, got eight replies, and only one person disagreed, which can bring further discussion. Not that bad if you ask me ...
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 11:55:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Our current society has peaked pretty far. Is this the end of evolution for humans? Is there any farther to go?
Domestic civilization does have as inverse relationship with evolution.
axcho

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:01:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Our current society has peaked pretty far. Is this the end of evolution for humans? Is there any farther to go? Evolution does take thousands/millions of years though.
I haven't read the whole thing, but here is an article that argues that humans have continued to evolve:
http://www.howardbloom.net/instant_evolution.htm

Quote:
Wow, that'd be very interesting background to my story. A guy who uses his psychic powers to battle the system that gave them to him in the first place.
I also think that would be an interesting story.

Quote:
Consider how the evolutionary process works: What society would have to do is to agree to eliminate all but those who seem to possess these uncanny traits, and in the hope that the survivors continue to procreate. No substantial progress could be made otherwise.
Society would have to eliminate the genes of "all but those who seem to possess these uncanny traits," not the people. There are other options such as genetic engineering, and I guess sterilization. But I don't think that it would even require that much.

Quote:
Do you believe in mind of matter? You'd be surprised how important will is in anything you do. And I actually hope that spirtuality/force of will can overcome the science dominated world we live in.
Please, don't make science the enemy. I was just reading an essay called Opinions about the unknowable that you could take a look at. And I'm starting on The Science of Discworld. Science can be your friend. And spirituality's friend.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:15:57 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
I agree totally. You are in charge of your body, your body is not in charge of you. If you have a strong enough mind to take over automatic body functions, you can will yourself to work a certain way. I never though there was really much special about that. I've pretty much mastered it. I personally think I have an extremely strong mind. So many odd things have happened to me along these lines.[post="62967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
If that were possible, nobody would have AIDS, since you can just make thousands of new white blood cells.
You can't control many, if not most of your bodily functions. The most people have been able to do is make their heart beat faster, and even then they're cheating by thinking of an exciting situation (releases epinephrine from your brain, fight or fly response).

Quote:
You're right: psychology can be very useful. Without will, a cancer patient probably wouldn't survive. However, can will destroy cancerous tissue in your body? No, but it gives you the strength to go get chemo.
Will is very important, but so is science. Achieve a balance of both and you can rename your town Shangri La.

12 responses in 2 hours? Hot topic - not getting deleted by me.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 12:29:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:27:56 am    Post subject:

well somewhere in our minds, there should be a thing that simply says:

if being attacked by virus and permission not granted
then
produce ton's of white blood cells
calculate possible gene mutation
write self-evolving algorithm to track mutations
produce correct antibodies
end

I think at some point our minds will evolve to that point. If that did happen, no need for computers almost. Computers probably can't simulate gene mutation and produce antibodies quickly enough.

@axcho: I'm not saying science is bad. I'm just saying that faith and science are both needed. Who chose psychoportation? I'm not sure is slowing down the world/speed yourself past light speed will cause time travel. Only logical explanation. But the thing Brazcus is right about is how do you channel electromagnetic force that great in your head? It'd probably burn out first.

Perhaps before the human mind can obtain psychic powers, it has already become some spirtual entity/higher being of its own. Eternal because that brainwave that you have is forever resonating energy throughout the universe. And at that point there is never a need for psychic powers. because you are at peace.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:31:09 am    Post subject:

You'd be surprised: People say computers are evoluting 250X as fast as we did. They don't need a whole generation for a 1/1000000 chance to evolve++, which means 999999/1000000 mutations kill you or give you cancer, down syndrome, etc. Plus, all cells (bacteria, etc but not viruses) have an antimutation mechanism. Sometimes, things slip, though.

My version of psychic powers came to me while watching this documentary about this guy (Neil DeGrasse Tyson, if I remember correctly) trying to "teleport" particles from the future into the past with lasers. Now, if you could do it consistently in a timely manner, you could write a program that send/receives those messages. Hook it up to a COM port or something, you know?
You'd never have to write any programs or essays again! You could win the lottery (only once not to rise any suspicions), publish research papers that are years in advance, publish books, etc! You could even have a thing that you'd click every single morning and sends a "You're alive" message a week or so. If you're not, say goodbye to your kids and family Razz You'd be the new Davinci (not saying Einstein cause davinci was more, uh - widespread in his studies).

P.S. Read the book "Terminal Man", by ?Crichton?.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 12:35:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:34:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If that were possible, nobody would have AIDS, since you can just make thousands of new white blood cells.

Hmm. Why doesn't the body do this on its own, if it's physically possible? Maybe it hasn't evolved? Maybe the resources aren't available to make them?

If the resources are just sitting around, who knows if it can be possible or not. Most people wouldn't have tried, and those who have possibly don't have the mind to do it.

I don't know.

I do know I have yet to get AIDS :P

[edit]

Hell, where do white blood cells come from, how are they made, what are they made of.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 12:37:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:39:21 am    Post subject:

perhaps computer evolution is logarithmic. It will slow down eventually becuase of the contruction methods. Unless of course quantum computing would start working correctly.

Our evolution might be exponential, and where still at the y=x^2 where x=.00000001
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 12:40:55 am    Post subject:

Perhaps human evolution is logarithmic too. We've basically killed it by changing the environment and not us. Armstrong (the bike guy) has awesome genes: bigger heart, faster lungs, less acid production when exercising, etc. If there were any natural selection today, we'd all look like him in a few years.

I think the best way to evolve is not waiting around for people to mate and generate offspring and for gametes to mutate one or two basepairs.

The way to go is genetic engineering. If we can tell gallonfulls of bacteria to make insulin (Something not found in bacteria. Ever.), then you can tell your body to make new white blood cells.
Genes are universal - every living thing has genes. If you want a tobacco plant to express a "firefly gene", you suck out some DNA from the firefly (well, it was a jellyfish, but meh) and stick it into the plant. What do you get?

If you want a human to express a spider gene and squeeze it out from their forearm, you do the same. Since all your cells can produce the same genes (heart cells making spider silk), there haven't been any volunteers lately. They did it with goats, though...

Another good thing out there now is RNAi, which destroys viral DNA. I think they've been able to "cure" lab rats with AIDS.

P.S. Check out the google ads up top! Razz Apparently people make a lot of money from this "mind over body" stuff. Now THAT'S what I call gullibility.

P.S. OMG! IF YOU PRESS ALT-F4, THE SCREEN CHANGES COLOR!!! </gullable people only, please>

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 12:57:37 am; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 02:02:40 am    Post subject:

I'm tempted to move this to "Open Topic", given that this is a bit of the fringe area, but I'll let it stay here for the time being.

Me, I don't know what I really like. It's already a big enough responsibility for me that I can sense (and sometimes see) extracorporeal beings, and I don't think I'd be happy to have more gifts than I can carry. :)

JoeImp, white corpuscles come from either the bone marrow (the so-called "B cells") or the thymus gland (the "T cells"). It is not known to many people that there are a lot of types of white cells, e.g. the macrophages, helper T cells, killer T cells, phagocytes...

thornahawk
axcho

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 03:15:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
They don't need a whole generation for a 1/1000000 chance to evolve++, which means 999999/1000000 mutations kill you or give you cancer, down syndrome, etc.
Quote:
Armstrong (the bike guy) has awesome genes: bigger heart, faster lungs, less acid production when exercising, etc. If there were any natural selection today, we'd all look like him in a few years.
Hmmm... What about the "999999/1000000" harmful mutations that happen and detract from those perfect genes?

Quote:
Perhaps human evolution is logarithmic too. We've basically killed it by changing the environment and not us.
Did you read the article that I linked to? If so, what parts of it do you disagree with and why?

Quote:
People say computers are evoluting 250X as fast as we did.
Quote:
perhaps computer evolution is logarithmic. It will slow down eventually becuase of the contruction methods. Unless of course quantum computing would start working correctly.
I don't understand what you are referring to when you say "computer evolution." In what sense can computers be said to be evolving? It seems that you distinguish this from normal technological development.

Quote:
if being attacked by virus and permission not granted
then
produce ton's of white blood cells
calculate possible gene mutation
write self-evolving algorithm to track mutations
produce correct antibodies
end
The immune system itself is the "self-evolving algorithm" to "calculate possible gene mutation" and "produce correct antibodies." I'm sure it could be improved, but not easily, and it is still pretty effective.

Quote:
It's already a big enough responsibility for me that I can sense (and sometimes see) extracorporeal beings, and I don't think I'd be happy to have more gifts than I can carry.
Okay, I sense an implied question. How do you sense these extracorporeal beings? OMG U MUST B PHSYIC!!111! Razz Sorry. It so obviously followed.

[EDIT]
I choose Telepathy, because I find very intriguing the question of why I experience this mind as opposed to any other. I think I might enjoy experiencing the mind of an ecosystem or of the entire universe.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 03:21:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement