This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 05:53:29 pm    Post subject:

Definitely add the rules. Perhaps make an external file that way it can easily get deleted when you don't need it. But definitely include a readme in the .zip file because not everyone knows how to play Risk. The first time I ever played Risk was last year.
TStach

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 08:40:16 pm    Post subject:

I've come to the conclusion: BASIC is simply too slow. While programming my game, I ran into so many problems that I finally decided: Hey, I might as well look at Kerm Martian's game. I played Kerm Martian's game, and although the graphics were great, the gameplay was just terrible. I spent over five minutes sending it to my calc and starting a new game. It's not his fault, it's just the limitations of BASIC...

It has to be done in assembly...!
I came here to learn, so I might as well do it and take the challenge now. I take Computer Science (Java), but I can barely do anything (unless you consider reading and parsing input something special). I have the basic concepts though and hopefully that's all I'll need.

I'm going to try and learn it over the next couple of days/weeks or however long it takes. I'm guessing that I'll be able to write code in the beginning; it will just be slow and very unoptimized. However over time I'll make edits to the subroutines that I use and hopefully make somewhat of a good game.

Here are some of the problems I was fighting with:
- Fast "mouse", or lack thereof (Could not select area to place/attack quickly!)
- Graphical limitations (Could not make a large, scroll-around map!)
- Space limitations (I was already over 1k bytes already in code!)
- Speed limitations (I had to wait 5+ seconds for the graphics!)

Sadly it will slow progress down to a halt Neutral
But in the long run I think it will pay off. 8)

I don't know what tutorial I'm going to use yet as there is quite a few of them. However, I have yet to see an editor that encompasses an integrated development enviornment with a compiler (and possibly a debugger). I'm aware the the programs come seperately from different developers, but is there one that does it all?

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 08:42:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 09:31:21 pm    Post subject:

Yay the domination of Assembly! Don't worry TStach, I've only been learning ASM for about a month. I kinda decided to skip out on Basic too :biggrin:

no need to thank me:

tutorial:
ASM in 28 Days
ASMGuru
IONGuru

Compiler:
Search for "Andy" in the ticalc.org file archives and use his assembly package. Use notepad to write programs and use the package to compile.
Latenite, ask around for it. There are minor bugs though, but good IDE from what I've heard.

Just search the Ti-Calc file archives for everything. I'll try to help you understand simple stuff, but don't ask me about VAT, shifts, rotations, and more complex stuff.

But seriously, BASIC is POWERFUL! Don't throw it away right away like I did. Actually, I kinda regret it a bit. Seeing what Kevin Oulett (xlibman) has done with it has always amazed me. You should talk to him AIM:Omnimaga
It's only slow for the game you are trying to build because it deals with a rather large graphic and lots of math. Seriously, people have made great strategy games in the past with Basic. Don't underestimate it.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 09:35:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 05:26:33 pm    Post subject:

I love BASIC with XLIB support. You can make relatively fast graphical games and even have animations. I wouldn't give up too early. In fact after the Basic contest I might consider a stab at a RISK game although I couldn't ever make an AI. You could definately help me with that. My strategy for RISK is attack untill I have Australia and then sit in the corner and build up. I rarely win. Only when I convince everyone that they should help me do I win.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 06:31:34 pm    Post subject:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: The first time I played, I did that. I had to make a last stand though of like all troops vs all my brother's troops. We decided on a draw (too many dice battles) :biggrin:

AI are hard to make. Right now I'm just trying to learn how to make everything else. Often times, it helps if you are good at a game to figure out how to make the AI tough. I duno much about AI creation though. I just think a strategy and try to simulate it on the calc.
TStach

Posted: 04 Dec 2005 05:24:21 pm    Post subject:

Just wanted to let everyone have an update:

The project is not dead! I'm just still learning assembly. Currently I have a mouse routine that returns the coords when the user "left-clicks" (presses any desired select key). The only problem is that it uses a sprite routine from ION and someone's direct input rountine that doesn't work properly. I know I'll be able to make my own direct input routine, but I'm still going to need to program a sprite rountine and a buffercopy routine.

And if you ask why I don't just use ION or MirageOS, it's because I think I'll get a better expierence by coding my own routines and functions in nostub.

Any comments/questions?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Dec 2005 04:46:00 pm    Post subject:

If it's a clipped sprite routine you're looking for, CrASH_Man wrote an extremely fast sprite routine that we're using in the sonic project. Otherwise, a homebrew routine would give you more graphics experience.
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 07:04:08 pm    Post subject:

TStach wrote:
I'm going to try and learn it over the next couple of days/weeks or however long it takes. I'm guessing that I'll be able to write code in the beginning; it will just be slow and very unoptimized. However over time I'll make edits to the subroutines that I use and hopefully make somewhat of a good game.

- Fast "mouse", or lack thereof (Could not select area to place/attack quickly!)

Sadly it will slow progress down to a halt  Neutral
But in the long run I think it will pay off.  8)

I don't know what tutorial I'm going to use yet as there is quite a few of them. However, I have yet to see an editor that encompasses an integrated development enviornment with a compiler (and possibly a debugger). I'm aware the the programs come seperately from different developers, but is there one that does it all?
[post="62928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Latenite is a great asm code editor. It's still being worked on, but you can download a working beta from the link on this page. You may also need the .NET 2 runtimes. Here are some screenshots:

You can also use Latenite with the new BRASS compiler. It's better than TASM in many ways, but is compatible with all TASM code.

Look here for the forums about Latenite, BRASS, and a Latenite compatible sprite and map editor called Early Morning.

TStach wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone have an update:

And if you ask why I don't just use ION or MirageOS, it's because I think I'll get a better expierence by coding my own routines and functions in nostub.

Any comments/questions?
[post="63249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well, no stub programs are harder to use. However, if it's good for programming practice, go for it.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 07:25:49 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that looks VERY nice. I'll have to check it out. I'll have to learn ASM first though Neutral . I have seen the ASM in 28 days tutorial, but it seems to have trouble penetrating the brick walls of my head.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 08:02:30 pm    Post subject:

TStach wrote:
I've come to the conclusion: BASIC is simply too slow. While programming my game, I ran into so many problems that I finally decided: Hey, I might as well look at Kerm Martian's game. I played Kerm Martian's game, and although the graphics were great, the gameplay was just terrible. I spent over five minutes sending it to my calc and starting a new game. It's not his fault, it's just the limitations of BASIC...

It has to be done in assembly...!
I came here to learn, so I might as well do it and take the challenge now. I take Computer Science (Java), but I can barely do anything (unless you consider reading and parsing input something special). I have the basic concepts though and hopefully that's all I'll need.

Sadly it will slow progress down to a halt  Neutral
But in the long run I think it will pay off.  8)

[post="62928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Id have to disagree with that, I'll make you a Basic mouse routine.....check out DarkerLine's Donut Quest, or my Spider Trap or any of the libless 83+ Basic Games in the UTI archives

Last edited by Guest on 09 Dec 2005 08:15:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Dec 2005 11:43:01 pm    Post subject:

I heard xLib is also really good for sprite based games. Haven't checked it out, but I plan to teach my calc club how to use xlib with BASIC.
katmaster

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 01:31:51 am    Post subject:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! xLIB ROCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's basically omnicalc on steroids. Does more, faster and its awesome. Use it!!!!!!!!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 12:29:50 pm    Post subject:

Not much to teach, really. If you can program, all you need is the function parameters; if you can't, no amount of teaching will help (or will it?)
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 12:33:05 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Not much to teach, really. If you can program, all you need is the function parameters; if you can't, no amount of teaching will help (or will it?)
[post="63985"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

PERFECT EXAMPLE: me :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

well I'm still kind of new to anything that has to do with computers and programming, but I'm impressed with my progression so far even if you guys aren't. Not bad for a person who does not own an 83+ :biggrin:
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement