This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:25:10 pm    Post subject:

I thought Einstein didn't like Quantum Mechanics because it relied on probability. I believe his quote was something like "God doesn't play dice."

Anyway, I thought Einstein was trying to unify gravity and electromagnetism, not gravity and quantum mechanics. (Or would that basically be the same thing?)
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:41:30 pm    Post subject:

I think during his attempt to unify electromagnetism and gravity, the weak and strong nuclear forces were discovered. Then he had issues about how to unify those with the original two. By the way, electricity and magnetism were originally considered separate forces, but then someone else unified them.

After quantum mechanics came out, he abandoned unification temporarily to work on either relativity or the way gravity affects spacetime fabric, I'm not sure.

Either way, Einstein was incredible with this kind of stuff.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 02:07:05 am    Post subject:

Haha, no kidding. Einstein had a different way of viewing the world. I guess that's what made him one of a kind.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 02:09:20 am    Post subject:

There's electroweak already (EMF + weak force), so if some clever nut can tie in the strong force and gravity as well, physicists are going to look at that clever nut and say "1337!". :D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

edit: the fact that Maxwell was able to link electricity and magnetism and obtain a set of elegant formulae in the process makes him a premier physicist.

thornahawk

Last edited by Guest on 02 Dec 2005 02:11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 06:40:24 pm    Post subject:

What does the electroweak do? I've never heard of this force? How do you combine weak and electromagnetism? Isn't weak involved in the breakdown of neutrons into protons and electrons?
Raster

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 08:59:47 pm    Post subject:

Electroweak
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2005 12:56:18 am    Post subject:

Fascinating discussion, but I agree with previous comments that the experiment working doesn't necessarily imply your hypothesis is correct. It might go faster if your idea is correct, however, since the gravitational acceleration imparted by each piece of mercury would be extremely miniscule. In fact, they would be more likely to be attracted to the far more massive walls of the satellite.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement