This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 09:13:31 pm    Post subject:

calcul831415 wrote:
Just because we can't percieve a dimension doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Ant live their whole lives crawling on PLANES.  They don't really need to think about up or down, just forward, back, left, right (okay bad example) but there are probably creatures  out there who live but really don't percieve dimension.  They just function without that knowledge  [post="62639"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Heh, I thought ants were best used to illustrate extra dimensions "curled up."
Think of a tightrope walker. If he knows what he's doing, he only goes forward and backwards. Maybe a little side to side wobble, but essentially, the tightrope is a one dimensional line. Since ants are so small, however, they can walk a circle around the tightrope. Thus adding a dimension.
MathStuf

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 10:37:11 pm    Post subject:

All that has been determined about the extra dimentions is that none of them are larger than 10^-4m when curled up. With gravity being such a feeble and weak force, it is difficult to test a deviation in its strength on such small scales. Oh, and if enough new particles are found with properties that correspond to those predicted by string theory, will that convince you? As of now, new accelerators being built may have enough energy to find new particles and get their properties.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 12:54:48 am    Post subject:

They're just so friggin' tiny!
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 06:18:18 am    Post subject:

If they can detect new particles predicted by String Theory, that'll be good enough for me. I have yet to hear about such discoveries, though.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 05:59:55 pm    Post subject:

The problem is there's only one kind of particle (that's actually not a particle): energy! String Theory says the universe is made of tiny vibrating strings of energy. The way the strings vibrate determine how they interact, giving matter its various properties.
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 06:59:30 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't expect this to work in F-Theory (10 space dimensions, 2 time dimensions).
And, a random theory I would like to add to the controversy:

An infinite number of parallel planes can exist in space, thus an infinite number of parallel spaces can exist in 4-dimensional hyperspace. Our technology is now great enough to have papers (planes) stacked on each other. So, 3-dimensional figures could hypothetically be copied and stacked to create 4-D versions of ourselves.

...Theoretical Physics is almost as cool as calculators! Laughing
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 07:01:18 pm    Post subject:

wasn't the original idea of hyperspace based on the idea that in the 4th dimension, distances might be significantly shorter?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 07:26:57 pm    Post subject:

"In the 4th dimension"? If there really are 4 or more dimensions, you are always in every one of them (it's not a different space, but rather a new way to measure space).
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 07:29:21 pm    Post subject:

-points to idea that not all dimensions can be percieved- Confused
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 11:57:07 pm    Post subject:

So, if there are more than three spatial dimensions and we exist in each of those does that mean that our bodies are more advanced than our minds since we can't perceive those dimensions?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 12:17:12 am    Post subject:

As a rhetoric device, define "advanced." Personally, I don't think logic, intelligence, philosophy, or other such individualized terms of comprehension are factors in this matter. It is merely what it is.
Raster

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 12:49:16 am    Post subject:

Wow, I wasnt expecting so much talk about this Neutral . I dont know what to say now Very Happy . Exept Jeremiah Walgren, This is now what I do (ever since I lost interest in alot of things), I mainly think about the unknown, and the things we dont quite understand. It seems like a puzzle to me, certaint things fit into logic, certaint things dont.

Well, since we moved onto dimentions, I guess I will give my definition of a dimention... Another word to describe a variable.

A good example of dimentions in directions is a satillite. X, Y, & Z describle the position of the satillite. V & W are used for the up/down angle, and the left/right angle. All of these variables have an effect of what the satillite communicates to.

A dimention in everyday life could be the weather. One day could be rainy, and one could be sunny. The rain/sun can affect how our day will be (such as a bunch of other things).

I think I gave out some pretty good examples Smile .

[EDIT]

And I think things like speed, distance needed to travel, can be conciderd a dimention.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 12:51:06 am; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 05:34:51 am    Post subject:

For the follies of describing extra spatial dimensions in a 3D world, you might want to take a look at Flatland by Abbott. ;)

Anyway, among the sea of arguments going back and forth, I wish to address one point raised. It was said that the force binding nuclear particles can be thought of as gravity. This would imply, I suppose, that if gravitons existed, they'd be the same as gluons? Surprised Unique I'd say, but then again, we now have something called electro-weak... ;)

Proving this, would be the particular difficulty.

thornahawk
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 06:10:18 pm    Post subject:

If only it was just The Force, The Energy, and The Matter. Then it'd all be so simple. Actually you might be able to simplify it to The Thing! or The Existence!

As for percieving dimensions, does a bacterium percieve dimensions? It's like a machine. It responds to external stimuli to change it's shape and direction. It homes onto food to maintain life. It doesn't really have a sense of direction does it? Yet it exists in a 3D world. It could be existing in an 11D world! That bacterium could be us, and there could be greater beings in existence out there that don't care that we are so dumb we can't see the extra dimensions. btw, how can there be 2 time dimensions?

And how many points do you need to plot something in space? 3? cuz I heard once you need 6
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 07:08:23 pm    Post subject:

Depends on what you're plotting. A plane needs 3 points.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 09:37:26 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine is correct. Remember that basic geometry postulate: "Lines are uniquely determined by two points, planes uniquely determined by three points, spaces uniquely determined by four points, yada yada..." :D

calcul831415, c'mon, go look for a copy of Flatland in your local library or on the web. I think it will be interesting to you at the very least. ;)

thornahawk
MathStuf

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 09:49:34 pm    Post subject:

You can prove that the electromagnetic force isn't the same as gravity (like between a stool and the earth) this way: A strong magnet can lift the stool (if it's metal), negating all of the earth's gravity and still having enough left to lift the stool. This shows that gravity is much weaker than the electromagnetic force. Plus, gravity works on everything, electromagnetic only affects those with charges. And to show that gravity can't be impostered by another force is that the electromagnetic force would overwhelm gravity and make protons fly apart, but the strong force keeps them together. And the strong force is only applicable on very small ranges.

And FlatLand can be found here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Flat...load-26791.html
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:06:13 pm    Post subject:

So much for Einstein's dream of Unification Sad Sad Sad
MathStuf

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:11:18 pm    Post subject:

How does that destroy unification? He wanted Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity to be happy with each other. Basically he wanted them to be generalized and shown to be the same thing.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 10:20:27 pm    Post subject:

my bad.

But I also thought gravity vs. the nuclear forces was one of the reasons why he couldn't do that.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement