This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> Math and Science

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raster

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 07:14:53 pm    Post subject:

This is somthing I have been thinking for quite a while. Please, if you dont understand, PM me, and I will help you out.

Raster's Theory of gravity

Lets start out with me explaining a few things. There is a force, called strong force (basic enough), that atracts the protons(positive chage)/neutrons to the center of the atom, and the electrons (negative charge) also get atracted to this point, but is repelled by the protons, creating the orbitals of an atom. The protons of an atom, determintes what element it is. Im only going to be using the elements Hydrogen(H2), Helium(He), and Lithium(Li) for my example of gravity through this explenation. This will also go along with the big bang theory. Lets begin!

Before the big bang, there was nothing but H2 floating around in the empty space of the universe. Since there is a mass amount of space in the universe, there is alot of space for the H2 to move around, and gain a mass amount of speed. At some point in time, two H2 atoms colide with each other creating He. Since He has more mass, than H2, it would logicly have more strong force than H2. So this He atom atracts the H2 atoms around is, because of its strong force.

As these H2 atoms atract to the He, there is a mass amount of colisions going on creating more He atoms. Soon the mass about of He atoms colecting into the center, what I will call now "The core", will soon create one of the first Alkalie metals Li. Then the same process happends with Li, as how H2 made He, and so on with the other elements.

With this huge mass colisions of these atoms, it later becomes out of control, making the "big bang".

That ends my theory. Basicly, The atoms strong force determines our gravity, and the mass/density, determines, what can go through what. (Like mercury in a steal bowl.)

If you have any questions, PM me, or post, and I will quote you/put it up onto this post. If you dont want me to quote you, just tell me :biggrin: .

I hope you do not become like him --> Neutral <-- after reading this topic.

A way to prove my theory

Here is a perfect, yet impractical, way of proving my theory. (Impractical because it would cost millions of dollars...) Basicly is to send up a satellite to the empty pit of space. In this satellite is an artifical atmosphere of O2. At a sertaint point, have the satellite come to a stop, where there is barely any affect of gravity from any of the planets or the sun (Another reason why it is impractical, to get out of the suns gravity, you would have to go way past pluto).

Right once it is in position, let out like a drop of mercury from 3 different locations within this enviorment in the satellite. If the mercury moves to the center of the satellite, and forms the shape of a ball, it proves my theory, if it doesnt, well Im out a couple million bucks Very Happy .

Last edited by Guest on 26 Nov 2005 07:53:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 07:32:50 pm    Post subject:

Interesting theory...

but, electrons normally should be attracted to protons, not repelled. The strong force is an attraction between leptons and I think gluons in distinct nuclear particles.

Everything else you propose (the hydrogen colliding and forming more matter) has already been proposed. The only distinct thing is that you propose that gravity does pin us to the ground, but rather the strong force does. That is interesting because you suggest unification between the Strong Force and gravity, leaving only three forces in existence (the other two are the Weak Force and Electromagnetism).

I think you'll have to offer more proof before others in the science community take that seriously. I think it's a good idea! Yay Unification!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Raster

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 07:45:37 pm    Post subject:

calcul831415 wrote:
Interesting theory...

but, electrons normally should be attracted to protons, not repelled.  The strong force is an attraction between leptons and I think gluons in distinct nuclear particles....

...I think you'll have to offer more proof before others in the science community take that seriously.  I think it's a good idea! Yay Unification!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:
[post="62466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ya, my mistake, the electrons do attract to the protons. The electrons are just useing the sling shot effect to orbit around the atom.

And, I think I may have a way to prove this theory. I will edit my post above.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 04:17:50 am    Post subject:

First off, as stated above, the Strong Force is a nuclear force. There's no way it's going to affect electrons let alone entirely different molecules that are off by themselves.

I thought the current Big Bang Theory stated that there was nothing before the Big Bang. If this is so, you cannot have anything to work with. Or are you proposing a modification to said theory?

Also, it was the Big Bang that supposedly created the Universe. How can your Hydrogen atoms be floating around in something that has yet to be created?

How might the neutrons in the Helium nucleus be created?

As for your experiment, have the satellite come to a stop in relation to what? The earth? The sun? The center of the galaxy?

In regards to the balls of Mercury, they will need to be ejected from the aforementioned satellite. This will give them a velocity - however small - in their direction of release. If this happens within the satellite, they will most definitely collide with each other or with the side of the satellite.

I hate to rip into your theory so hard (and I may even be misunderstanding certain things), but it's better now than later.

Edit: I read the experiment wrong. Corrected my statement accordingly.

Edit 2: Why an atmosphere of pure oxygen for your experiment?

On your statement about how mass/density determines what goes through what... I think you might want to research just how strong electromagnetism is.

Every neutral atom has at least one electron associated with it. When you bring several billion atoms that are bonded together into contact with several billion atoms of another substance, those electrons are going to repel each other.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 04:50:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 05:37:03 am    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
Hydrogen(H2), Helium(He), and Lithium(Li)
I believe Helium is also diatomic, so He2.

Raster wrote:
two H2 atoms colide with each other creating He
Actually, a Hydrogen atom gained a proton, automatically adding in an electron (or vice-versa) to balance the charges.

Raster wrote:
So this He atom atracts the H2 atoms around is, because of its strong force.
He atoms don't attract H atoms. Especially not because of the strong force, which is nuclear.

Raster wrote:
Then the same process happends with Li
Adding new protons/electrons, yes. Collisions making new elements, no. There are collisions going on all the time in elements, especially gases and liquids. If collisions made new elements, the Carbon fiber hood on my car would eventually become Nitrogen fiber Razz (bad example, but you get the point)

Raster wrote:
With this huge mass colisions of these atoms, it later becomes out of control, making the "big bang".
Again, stuff would be 'big banging' all the time.

Raster wrote:
If the mercury moves to the center of the satellite, and forms the shape of a ball, it proves my theory
Ever seen astronauts squirting juice out of Tang containers? Liquids automatically "turn into a ball" in zero or micro gravity because of intermolecular forces, something which you should look into.

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
I thought the current Big Bang Theory stated that there was nothing before the Big Bang. If this is so, you cannot have anything to work with. Or are you proposing a modification to said theory?
There are differen't theories for this. Some say there was an ever-existing small amount of matter.

P.S. I don't have a carbon fiber hood on my car nor do I wish to get one.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 05:37:30 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 06:36:58 am    Post subject:

I dont think that what you describe in your theory can begin a mass explosion like the Big Bang. Also, scientists say that after the big bang there was only energy, and no mass. If the big bang was a gravity reaction caused by mass (h2, He and Li ?) then there would always be a bit mass left after the reaction, or maybe the reaction created even heavier atoms.

I like your theory, but i also think you should've stayed away from big bang Razz .
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 07:40:23 am    Post subject:

Right!

Also... if you are saying that:
2H -> He
or that
2H2 -> He2
you're saying that the mass of the universe is constantly decreasing as atoms get heavier and heavier.

One more thing, too. I think you've got some nomenclature issues. "Theory or gravity"? Gravity isn't a theory. It was proven to mankind quite a while ago by a guy named H. E. Erectus.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 08:54:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:55:15 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
I dont think that what you describe in your theory can begin a mass explosion like the Big Bang. Also, scientists say that after the big bang there was only energy, and no mass. If the big bang was a gravity reaction caused by mass (h2, He and Li ?) then there would always be a bit mass left after the reaction, or maybe the reaction created even heavier atoms.

I like your theory, but i also think you should've stayed away from big bang Razz .
[post="62478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Mass is just energy.

Quote:
One more thing, too. I think you've got some nomenclature issues. "Theory of gravity"? Gravity isn't a theory. It was proven to mankind quite a while ago by a guy named H. E. Erectus.
That is works is a fact, but the explanations of how it works are theory. So there's the law of gravity and theories of gravity.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 10:55:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 01:47:23 pm    Post subject:

@Raster: you can never escape gravity of anything. Gravity is always affecting us no matter where we are in the universe. It's just so small we find it negligible, but significant enough to affect the outcome of your experiment (which I do not think will prove your point) I think gravity is (mass1+mass2)/distance squared.

But @ everyone else: think out of the box for the moment and just imagine that perhaps the Super String theory is correct and everything is really made up of tiny vibrating strings of energy. There is only one force called The Force, and it encompasses the powers of the Strong Force, Weak Force, Gravity, and Electromagnetism, cuz they're all really just forces that cause things to move a certain way. Who cares if one only works at a certain distance or has a certain strength?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 01:55:18 pm    Post subject:

Carefully calculate an area where the gravity from all parts of the universe is canceling out. Possibly use artificial satellites to make it cancel out more.
However, it proves nothing about the nature of gravity that three drops of mercury will be gravitationally attracted toward each other.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jan 2008 12:27:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 02:28:13 pm    Post subject:

I think we're gonna need a better understanding of time before we can understand gravity.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 03:52:10 pm    Post subject:

The fact that's it's not constant? Einstein proved that...
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 08:44:49 pm    Post subject:

Yay for geniuses like Einstein!

But why should a study of time come before gravity? (though I think the gravitational constant is in m/s i think, 9.6?)
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 08:56:40 pm    Post subject:

9.8 m/secĀ², according to the TI-83 Plus manual, but that's simply a measure of the gravitational force of the Earth.
Geniuses like Einstein come about through many subtle factors, but hard work usually turns out to be the big one.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 09:23:37 pm    Post subject:

If only gravity was a matter of who has more graviton particles.

I believe Einstein made gravity seem like a ripple or sink hole on the fabric of the universe. That's why when a star blows up rite, it forms a black hole. It ripped the fabric of the universe.
Raster

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 09:35:51 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Carefully calculate an area where the gravity from all parts of the universe is canceling out. Possibly use artificial satellites to make it cancel out more.
However, the fact that three drops of mercury will be gravitationally attracted toward each other proves nothing about the nature of gravity.
[post="62487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I never said the mercury attracts by there own force. I was trying to say that the mass difference between the O2 and the mercury would cause the mercury to move twards the center.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 10:05:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 09:46:02 pm    Post subject:

But you don't get to find out what is it that will make them move to the center if they do.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 09:48:27 pm    Post subject:

That's how you find out a scientific law

scientific law: a statement that describes how nature behaves (most of the time); also known as a natural law.

scientific theory: a statement that explains why nature behaves that way. It essentially explains why that law exists.
Raster

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:02:04 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Quote:

Hydrogen(H2), Helium(He), and Lithium(Li)

I believe Helium is also diatomic, so He2.

He is a noble gas, so it is stable, and doesnt need to share any electrons.

Quote:
Quote:
two H2 atoms colide with each other creating He
Actually, a Hydrogen atom gained a proton, automatically adding in an electron (or vice-versa) to balance the charges.

Well, your right about that, but think of Hydrogen-1 with a positive charge? What is that? You guessed it, a plain ordinary proton :biggrin: .

Quote:
Quote:
So this He atom atracts the H2 atoms around is, because of its strong force.
He atoms don't attract H atoms. Especially not because of the strong force, which is nuclear.

I dont think I said nuclear, Im sure I said nucleus. And My theory is that the strong force of many atoms is what we call gravity.

Quote:
Quote:
Then the same process happends with Li
Adding new protons/electrons, yes. Collisions making new elements, no. There are collisions going on all the time in elements, especially gases and liquids. If collisions made new elements, the Carbon fiber hood on my car would eventually become Nitrogen fiber Razz (bad example, but you get the point)

Ya, I think I chose a bad word for that. I wanted to express that the Hydrogen moving at great speeds has a force so great, it is able to break through the repelling energy of the two atoms hitting eachother.

Quote:
Quote:
If the mercury moves to the center of the satellite, and forms the shape of a ball, it proves my theory
Ever seen astronauts squirting juice out of Tang containers? Liquids automatically "turn into a ball" in zero or micro gravity because of intermolecular forces, something which you should look into.

woops forgot to add in it will be in the exact center of the satillites enviorment.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:02:49 pm    Post subject:

What I'm trying to say is, just because IF your theory is true THEN the mercury will move to the center, doesn't mean that IF the mercury moves to the center THEN the theory is true. The current theory of gravity also says the mercury will move to the center.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement