This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Noob88

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 04:30:29 pm    Post subject:

Hello, I am having trouble with this problem we had to do for homework in math class and was wondering if i can get an explanation or have something to check my answers with from you guys :)

I came up with answers, just not matching any of my classmates so I am confused... Here is the problem.

Code:
Swimmer A is 130 meters from the beach. He swims toward the beach at 3.2 meters/second. Let x be the number of seconds since he has started swimming, and let f(x) be the number of meters he still has to go to reach the beach.

A) Write an equation expressing f(x) in terms of x

B) Find f(0). What does this represent in terms of the problem?

C) Swimmer B is 80 meters from the beach, starting at the same time as Swimmer A, he swims toward the beach at 1.7 meters/second. Let g9X0 be the number of meters Swimmer B has to go to reach the beach. Write an equation of g(x).

D)Find f(20) and g(20). According to these answers, who is closer after 20 seconds? How much closer?

E) Use your functions to find out when Swimmer A and Swimmber B are the SAME distance from shore. How far from the beach are they at this time?

F)Who reaches the beach first?

Thanks for helping me out, im not doing so well in math this year, it is sort of confusing to me.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 04:56:33 pm    Post subject:

You say you have answers, and you say that you'd like to check your answers with our answers. This is fine, but there's the slight problem of you not actually providing your answers. And with the fact that the problems are easy enough for anyone not in Grade 7, I can't help but get the suspicion that you're trying to cheat on your math homework.

On the other hand, if you are cheating you'll just be screwing yourself over on test day, so what do I care? "A" is "f(x) = 130 - 3.2x". The other questions derive from that.
Noob88

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 07:03:10 pm    Post subject:

Well, my answer for A was f(x) = 3.2x-130 and Im not sure why this is wrong. I realize that nothing worked out correctly but it seems like logically it should fit the purpose.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 07:37:51 pm    Post subject:

Your clue here is
Quote:
et x be the number of seconds since he has started swimming, and let f(x) be the number of meters he still has to go to reach the beach.

After 0 seconds, he has 130 meters to go to reach the beach. Every second, he gets 3.2 meters closer to the beach, and so this distance decreases by 3.2 meters every second. So after x seconds, it has decreased by 3.2x, making the remaining distance 130 - 3.2x.

Thus, f(x) = 130 - 2x.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2005 07:38:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 24 Nov 2005 07:58:44 am    Post subject:

What the...

I just want to ask if you, Noob88, read the lone sticky topic in this forum before posting. *looks at Noob88's post count*

*SIGH*

Oh well, sigma and DarkerLine have given more than enough answers for you. Please, next time you ask, show some TANGIBLE effort you made in attempting to solve the problem before asking here, eh?

Have a nice day.

thornahawk
Math and Science Moderator
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement