This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
axcho

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 04:51:11 pm    Post subject:

So, would you like to see this happen? If you don't know what CATs are, you can read about them here. They are 8x8 sprites generated from two integers from 0 to 255. Essentially it is a method of extracting an 8x8 sprite from two bytes.

Download some assembly programs to play around with the CATs here.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2005 04:52:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 04:56:08 pm    Post subject:

How big is the code to create the tiles? I can see this being useful if you are using a large number of different sprites, but manually storing the information is better for a small number.
axcho

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 05:41:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
How big is the code to create the tiles? I can see this being useful if you are using a large number of different sprites, but manually storing the information is better for a small number.

Ahem. (All 49 lines of it is posted in the topic.)
Quote:
If you don't know what CATs are, you can read about them here.

The point is more so that you don't have to include pic variables in your basic program.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 08:00:41 pm    Post subject:

sweet. It wold be helpful. Generate a Pic at the beginning of game and use that as a sprite sheet. then delete it at the end Smile
axcho

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 09:53:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
sweet. It wold be helpful. Generate a Pic at the beginning of game and use that as a sprite sheet. then delete it at the end smile.gif
Actually I was thinking that you wouldn't need pic variables at all; instead of taking the pic variable number and coordinates, it would take the rule and seed of the CAT.

I'm glad that people are liking the idea. I suggested it as an enhancement to xLIB here at Omnimaga. It might be better to integrate it rather than put it in a separate program.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 10:11:37 am    Post subject:

we get this in our basic programs?

weehhee i wants!

[serious]
sounds useful, basic games usually eat space when it comes to tiles.. but wouldnt it be slow?
axcho

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 03:27:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
sounds useful, basic games usually eat space when it comes to tiles.. but wouldnt it be slow?
It probably wouldn't save a lot of space except in pic variables, and you might still need pic variables for the character sprites. It is not slow, because it would be an assembly utility.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 04:04:48 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
we get this in our basic programs?

weehhee i wants!
[post="62003"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

me too ^^ Good Idea
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 10:14:50 am    Post subject:

Ha, I already got's one, and he's a nice one at that. He will sleep in my lap and doesn't ever hiss, bite, or scratch.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 01:45:03 pm    Post subject:

Surprisingly enough, the conversation was NOT, previously, about kittens. Nor will it be.
Jacobbus

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 04:45:29 am    Post subject:

a 8*8 sprite in 2 bytes, thats 4 times smaller than normal, how can you do that.
axcho

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 08:58:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
a 8*8 sprite in 2 bytes, thats 4 times smaller than normal, how can you do that.
It's magic. Rolling Eyes Of course there are only a fourth of the normal sprites possible, and they are better suited for background textures than characters.
Quote:
Ahem. (All 49 lines of it is posted in the topic.)
Quote:
If you don't know what CATs are, you can read about them here.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 11:46:00 am    Post subject:

Only 1/2^48 of the 8x8 sprites are actually possible, very far from a fourth (two bytes mean 2^16 possibilities as opposed to 2^64). However, because the possible sprites are very evenly spread through the set of all 8x8 sprites, this still allows for considerable freedom.
axcho

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 03:36:55 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, thanks for the correction. Yes, the exponent is only a fourth, meaning the entire amount is a lot less than a fourth. The idea is that most of those possible sprites are random garbage anyway, so we only include the useful ones. The hard part is figuring out how to generate only useful ones. Cellular automata work pretty well for generating useful background textures.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 03:37:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 09:49:01 pm    Post subject:

Can CAT generate cool kitten pictures?
Then I could make a pocketpet game with all cats.
axcho

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 11:28:55 pm    Post subject:

Cellular Automata Tiles cannot generate kitten images. But you could make an encoding scheme that will. I am planning on making a program to help generate encoding schemes like that, and you can use that when I finish.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 03:53:25 pm    Post subject:

That's nifty. I didn't know it could do that. I was mainly posting for a pun. (CAT creates cats) But I definately would use CAT for other programs.
axcho

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 08:29:39 pm    Post subject:

Okay, tr1p1ea has confirmed that he is not planning on adding CAT support to xLIB soon. So I will make my own program. Can anyone give me some advice on features it should include, and what the interface should be like? By interface, I mean the way its routines are called by basic programs. It should not interfere with xLIB.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement