This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
MeBeatYou

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 10:12:32 pm    Post subject:

I've got no idea who it is in this forum, but somebody has an avatar which says that e^(pi*i)=-1

I've been over this about 20 times and it's been driving me crazy. Can anybody explain this to me? I saw it again on a stupid math movie today and my teacher offered a good deal of extra credit to the person who can explain it :biggrin:
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 11:04:42 pm    Post subject:

The following identities exist:

[font="courier new"]sin(
[font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]) = 0
cos([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]) = -1
e^(xi) = cos(x) + sin(x) × i

Thus,

[font="courier new"]e^([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]i) = cos([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]) + sin([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]) × i
e^([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]i) = -1 + 0 × i
e^([font="times new roman"]π[font="courier new"]i) = -1
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 10:37:25 am    Post subject:

FYI, the third relation Goose gave is the so-called "Euler identity". The easiest way to prove it is with power series, but IIRC there is a "more elementary proof" which I'll get back to you with if I can find my notes...

thornahawk

P.S. From here: "Gauss is reported to have commented that if this formula was not immediately obvious, the reader would never be a first-class mathematician." Smile
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 05:49:30 pm    Post subject:

wow, too bad I'm not smart enough to explain it myself.

The kid who showed me the proof used log and exponent laws though. It was much simpler and did not require trig.

And i'm very sorry if you don't like my avatar.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Nov 2005 06:36:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement