This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 05:09:17 pm    Post subject:

C and C++ are all immensely better. Haven't ever tried C#.
Java is more portable though.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 09:54:24 pm    Post subject:

Java is slower, because it runs on a VM, however its also compile once, run anywhere (theoretically). Since I use Mac, the lack of cross-platformness in the universe ticks me off, and so Java, and Python ar my languages of choice.
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 12:05:42 pm    Post subject:

I convert PC C source to Cocoa, it works ok with some tweaking. But only small things, I couldn't convert Half Life or something, it would take forever.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 02:28:47 pm    Post subject:

Lookin' good elfprince! I'd be happy to do any tiles or sprites.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 03:23:10 pm    Post subject:

Depending on what you want to do with it. For working directly with the Windows API/DirectX, I would imagine that C++ is better. C++ is compiled code that is, techincally speaking, not able to run on any computer.

However, if you're programming a general utility or anything to do with networking, Java is better because of its portability. It, however, has performance issues because of its on-the-fly virtual machine (similar to the TI-BASIC parser)

Last edited by Guest on 28 Nov 2005 03:25:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 05:39:42 pm    Post subject:

Wrong topic?

edit: I guess not.

I have the feeling he's already decided on using Java.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Nov 2005 05:42:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 09:44:40 pm    Post subject:

Tyler wrote:
Depending on what you want to do with it. For working directly with the Windows API/DirectX, I would imagine that C++ is better. C++ is compiled code that is, techincally speaking, not able to run on any computer.

However, if you're programming a general utility or anything to do with networking, Java is better because of its portability. It, however, has performance issues because of its on-the-fly virtual machine (similar to the TI-BASIC parser

Im doing it in Java for portability, because I prefer using OS X and other *nix operating systems and I know how frustrating seeing only Windows stuff everywhere is, but I know that more people use Windows, and I want lots of people to be able to use the engine to create their own games once this is done
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Dec 2005 02:31:56 am    Post subject:

So I was explaining some of my java code to my teacher today, and I stumbled across a quick sprite drawing solution, if you are dissatisfied with your current method, I could show you what I came up with and you could see if you like it. You might be doing it this way already, since it seems obvious to me, but then again it was not obvious to me until now.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Dec 2005 08:39:21 am    Post subject:

could you post the code?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 09:13:27 pm    Post subject:

I just though Id let you know im still working on this, given the interest it generated (3 pages...) Anyway, ve decided not to do a scripting language for it, and Ive come up with a completely new design for keeping the engine intact, while allowing new games to be created. I'll create a library with the engine, and abstract tile/character/item classes which when extended can be passed as parameters using Java's inheritance mechanism Smile Im also starting on a map editor tomorrow
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 11:28:30 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I only have UTI access at home and my tile program is at school. I will bring it home on monday and post/send it.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 09:52:58 pm    Post subject:

[attachment=410:attachment]

[attachment=411:attachment]

Ive got a semblance of an editor going.............Next Ill add the ability to add items/characters

Ive also begun separating generix stuff out into a library, and Ive updated it so it doesnt use any deprecated methods
axcho

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 10:57:45 pm    Post subject:

Are you going to use any dithering to make the maps looks less tiled? Civilization II does that, where certain pixels at each edge of the tile are exchanged with pixels from the adjacent tile. That way the transitions between tiles are soft rather than sharp.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 08:43:11 am    Post subject:

I might.....at the moment Im just using a two dimensional array of numbers and a 1d array of ImageIcon's and the numbers refer to which tile should be drawn.
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 05:54:06 pm    Post subject:

Mine uses an Image (or maybe a buffered image, I might change it) that contains all the sprites you are going to use. You can always add height and width and whatnot, it's completely dynamic. It reads your 2d array and returns an Image of whatever size you needed (matrix dimensions * tile dimensions) ready for you to g.drawImage( to the screen. You are backbuffering this, right? And you aren't saying x++ on key typed, but dir=0 and movement = true, aren't you? Else this would be quite a choppy game.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 08:51:51 pm    Post subject:

ImageIcon constructor doesnt return until fully loaded into RAM Smile I dont have to worry about buffering at all :)

EDIT:
===
you never emailed me that code....

Last edited by Guest on 13 Dec 2005 08:54:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 05:56:35 pm    Post subject:

That's cause I only got it home today. It includes an example program, cause the implementation is kinda... wierd.

You MUST use a buffer, fool! Hahaha, I don't mean fool, really. I just mean that writing to the screen without the buffer causes flicker, especially when you start executing game actions.

So my scroller supports smooth scrolling (that may or may not be why I delayed sending it to you :ninja:) and my awesome example program includes a simpler-than-hell implementation. When I comment it I will send it to you.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 07:45:10 pm    Post subject:

threefingeredguy wrote:
That's cause I only got it home today. It includes an example program, cause the implementation is kinda... wierd.

You MUST use a buffer, fool! Hahaha, I don't mean fool, really. I just mean that writing to the screen without the buffer causes flicker, especially when you start executing game actions.

So my scroller supports smooth scrolling (that may or may not be why I delayed sending it to you :ninja:) and my awesome example program includes a simpler-than-hell implementation. When I comment it I will send it to you.
[post="64440"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do have a buffer, I just dont have to worry about it....ImageIcon has it built in....anyway, thanks....if I end up switching and including it with the toolkit, do you want me to put your name in the credits?
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 08:09:48 pm    Post subject:

If you want, just leave the comments in the class and I'm fine.

Um, I will give it to you tomorrow, the example has embarassingly bad sprites.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement