This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
axcho

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 07:33:16 pm    Post subject:

How would you feel if I made Automata a side-scroller like Mario rather than a top-down game like Zelda? It might be necessary to do this in order to get huge maps. The way I'm thinking of doing it, the map will only be able to scroll in one axis, which is the way Mario works. I could still make it top down, but it would be kind of weird to have a top-down game where the map is extremely long and thin. So what is your opinion on this?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 07:53:14 pm    Post subject:

it's really up to you. I prefer RPGs where it really open like in Zelda. But I'd understand if it was difficult to do your random tile map thing this way.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:05:26 am    Post subject:

I prefer top down games like Zelda and even games on slants like Megaman Battle Network, but I know how hard it is to give up an idea you absolutley love if its too hard to accomplish. Whatever floats your boat i guess...I still think you should think about The Matrix:Path of Neo ability system.Like a certain ability allows you to take away someone's gun.If you continue on that particular branch you can take someone's gun away and rudely shoot him with it, if you still continue then you can take someone's gun away and rudely shoot everyone with it. Just a suggestion... Neutral
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 10:59:02 am    Post subject:

The problem I'm describing lies in that there is an implied understanding of some of the in game abstractions before gameplay even begins.

You can hide limitations of the simulation between different shades of blue for a chair, (diversity = "realism") but we all know that it can be positioned in more than 4 directions. The game doesn't allow this and poof your understanding of the game world is shattered and you remember that you have to adapt because it's a (lousy) game.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2005 10:59:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 05:08:54 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
The problem I'm describing lies in that there is an implied understanding of some of the in game abstractions before gameplay even begins.

Precisely what I don't like about d20! I've been trying to get some of my friends to roleplay for awhile, but they all complain that it's either too complicated or takes too long. So I gave up.

The problem is that even though d20 is a relatively accurate system, its drawback is its complexity. It seems like no RPG system is both simple to understand and accurately simulates outcomes.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 06:25:04 pm    Post subject:

There are good simpel/straightforward paper and pencil RPG systems like GURPS (imho) and White Wolf but with those games it's imagination that determines your perception of the game world and your mind&voice that controls your character, as opposed to a monitor with pixels that need to be calculated and a keyboard&mouse.

We need a way to give computers an imagination. :P

"The most immersive game is life itself."

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2005 06:25:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:24:35 pm    Post subject:

The gameplay can get repetitive, but the graphics are amazing.
axcho

Posted: 26 Nov 2005 11:07:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The gameplay can get repetitive, but the graphics are amazing.
Indeed.

So, I've been playing Cave Story, which is a freeware platform adventure game. I have decided to model Automata after it, in that it will be a side-scroller, and there will be plenty of action in between teleporters and new items. The side-scrolling bit means that programming will be more difficult, and I'll have to look for resources on making calculator platform games. If all goes well, Automata will be like Cave Story, except way bigger.

Pathetically, Cave Story is the first real platform game I've played on the computer. Let's see, my playing experience consists of one RPG, and one platform game. That should be more than enough to make one for the calculator!

*goes back to playing Cave Story*

[EDIT]
I found some interesting Java applets involving cellular automata. There is one for reversible cellular automata, which is what my game will be using to generate its maps. There is also a program that lets you browse through lots of cellular automata rules, both discrete and continuous.
Reversible 1D CA Page
Searching for 1D CA Page

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 11:38:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Dec 2005 12:28:36 pm    Post subject:

I think this is a good idea! I'll try cave story when I get home, it might give me some ideas for my own game...
axcho

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 05:37:08 pm    Post subject:

Epic Bump! :D

Just reading some of my old threads again. Anyway, I'd still like to do this - it's kind of a dream of mine - but like most dreams, it's a very long way from reality.

Also I'm thinking it would be cool if your character is a beekeeper (as opposed to a turnip farmer or something). Except of course, the bees would be cyber-bees who "pollinate" the information network nodes of your cyber world. Magic could be accomplished through the activity of your swarms, as some sort of procedural modification of your environment.

Those changes ripple through and affect the world and objects and people in it because they're all generated from the configuration of the ground on which you stand, via reversible cellular automata. Something like that. Though I'm not sure if it might be all way too chaotic to make for good gameplay. It's all very hypothetical at this point.
axcho

Posted: 24 Aug 2009 05:07:52 pm    Post subject:

Another epic bump. :P

Just read an article on procedural generation as seen in the game [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(2009_video_game)"]FUEL[/url]. It's basically the approach I had in mind for Automata.

Quote:
The content generation in FUEL is entirely deterministic. Any given area is the same each time you visit, but the land was not built by an artist sculpting every individual hill and valley. The geometry of Blacktrial Pass and The White Flats doesn't exist until you go there. Nobody sat down and placed all of the millions of trees. Nobody said "let's put a road right here." It's all (or mostly) made according to algorithms and preset rules.

As described in The Future is Procedural.

Maybe I'll make this game someday. T'would be cool.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement