This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
axcho

Posted: 10 Nov 2005 09:55:00 pm    Post subject:

I've decided on the name Automata for the calculator RPG I'm designing. It will use Cellular Automata Tiles and random maps. I'm also thinking of using a variation on Arcane Wizard's people sprites that can be generated from two bytes, and I'll try to design another encoding scheme for monsters and items if I can. The goal of this game is to have huge worlds with a low memory cost, and not to have a detailed storyline. However, I intend to have an open-ended storyline that is created by the player's actions; I don't want to make a game where you just go around killing everything.

My experience with RPGs goes as far as Taskmaker (which I enjoyed very much). I have not really played more than that, and I would guess that Automata will be different than most RPGs. I think that it would be nice to have a change of style in calculator RPGs though. If I can make it happen, this game will at least have varied graphics and very high replayability.

I think this was originally inspired by Arcane Wizard's post about a random RPG.
I also mentioned this project a few days ago at MaxCoderz in necro's project thread.

Resources:
The future of RPGs
Reversible Cellular Automata
axcho

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 09:27:56 pm    Post subject:

I have finished reading The future of RPGs, which was fairly interesting, but nothing revolutionary.

Automata ideas:
- tiles procedurally generated by 1D binary cellular automata
- maps generated in real time as reversible 1D cellular automata
- active portions of map (items or characters) are seeded by map but evolve by 2D cellular automata, so monsters may move, die, and spawn

- portals to worlds or locations in worlds are central to the game mechanics
- portals may be embedded in map or the player may teleport as an ability
- player may modify map to create portals and other artifacts as a form of magic
- properties of tiles and items are determined by their cellular automaton rule and seed values

- magic abilities are not like items to use, they are like move combos to memorize, based on surroundings
- player channels magic power from surrounding map tiles
- player may collect items to make diferent spells, maybe by assembling tiles around for the necessary environment

- no experience points, levels, or acquired skills
- all character attributes based on inventory and player's knowledge
- the player may trade with other characters

To summarize, much of the game content will be procedurally generated, and there will be an emphasis on items and the environment.

I want to avoid using indiscriminate killing and stealing as the basis for the gameplay of Automata, so I am trying to come up with a different conflict than the traditional evil force taking over the world. I'm thinking of a theme where the player has to learn to break free of an oppressive system where they are just a "cog in the machine" to making their own choices and effect on the world. This plays on the sense of "automata" as a mindless machine, as well as the roots of the word meaning "self moving" as in free will. I have read yesterday that the purpose of role-playing is to make your own decisions as a character and see how that affects the world, so this theme should be very relevant.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 12:19:33 pm    Post subject:

you've put a lot of thought into this, haven't you? sounds good
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 04:19:56 pm    Post subject:

this looks cool
katmaster

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 11:16:39 pm    Post subject:

totally awesome
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 11:20:04 pm    Post subject:

wut do you mean by magic COMBOS? (shudders at the thought of Fusion Dance in DBZ Buu's Fury) You don't have to type in well timed codes or anything right? Or is it circumstantial? like if your near a tree, you can make it shoot fines and splinters at you opponents?
axcho

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 01:48:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
wut do you mean by magic COMBOS? (shudders at the thought of Fusion Dance in DBZ Buu's Fury) You don't have to type in well timed codes or anything right? Or is it circumstantial? like if your near a tree, you can make it shoot fines and splinters at you opponents?
I was trying to get around the problem of Click 'N' Cast. I thought that one way to avoid that would be to have a sort of language for spells that the player would have to learn. Then simple spells could be a short combination of moves and complicated spells would be longer and harder to remember and use. This eliminates the need for artificial experience points.

Another way I thought of would be to make spell casting based on collecting and assembling the correct ingredients. This way there is no need for a magic bar to limit magic use. Right now this method seems the best, though I might be able to combine the two in some way.

If you could elaborate on what it is about magic combos that is bad, that would help me design an alternative. Thanks for your input.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 04:30:48 pm    Post subject:

as for why combos (like casting through keypress codes) is bad:
-what if you forget the combo? especially with the long ones?

Originally, i wasn't saying that combos was a bad things, i just didn't understand what you meant.

I like ingredients. Have you ever played Runescape? Click Here They use rune combinations to cast spells. There are like 7-9 different kinds of runes and the correct #s of each will cast different spells. The basic air blast is like 1 AIR RUNE and 1 MIND RUNE

Just a suggestion
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 04:42:37 pm    Post subject:

As long as there's a non-repetitive way to obtain these ingredients (UNLIKE Runescape). There are various ways to achieve this; for example, the player must identify herbs found randomly on the map, and some have a magical effect.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 05:02:49 pm    Post subject:

good point, heheh, Runecrafting makes it too easy doesn't it?

Why is magic always associated with RPGs? The title Automata sounds like this is a futuristic RPG. I my opinion RPG elements can be applied to modern and futuristic weapons and warfare as well. Ever heard of d20 MODERN?

I think this game sounds really good. Like I said before, I really like the random terrain generation. It'd make things very open and non-repetative.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2005 05:04:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 05:08:03 pm    Post subject:

calcul831415 wrote:
good point, heheh, Runecrafting makes it too easy doesn't it?[post="61838"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Not so much easy as repetitive. Go there, mine there, go there, craft there, repeat.
axcho

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 05:35:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to make sure the gameplay is not repetitive. I am guessing that it will be a matter of exploring places and trading to get the ingredients, rather than farming them. But actually, I'm thinking for the story that you start out as a poor farmer who then has to find a way to escape from boring labor and save the economy. It should be an interesting twist on the usual saving of kingdoms from demons, because there will not be an obvious opponent to eliminate. I'm thinking of the themes of Jared Diamond's recent book Collapse.

The world will be kind of futuristic, at least not the traditional fantasy and magic. It will be different than both normal science fiction and fantasy. The setting will develop further as I start making and designing the actual game, so right now I am not sure about any of it.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 10:40:49 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
calcul831415 wrote:
good point, heheh, Runecrafting makes it too easy doesn't it? [post="61838"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Not so much easy as repetitive. Go there, mine there, go there, craft there, repeat. [post="61840"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That's why you buy runes and spend your time on other stuff. Like wondering how much your santa is going to sell for in a month. :)

calcul831415 wrote:
-what if you forget the combo? especially with the long ones?
You have to get more experienced. Razz And sometimes spells fail. I like the idea.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Nov 2005 04:33:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 05:58:16 pm    Post subject:

If only RPGs could be a more accurate simmulation of life. There are just too many variables. You can't just break it down into 6 key abilities like in D&D.

It would be really cool if Virtual Reality RPGs were made in our lifetime. That'd be so cool! Putting on a visor and pretending to be someone. Then it's play is partially affected by your real skills. that was OFF TOPIC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Nov 2005 07:24:18 pm    Post subject:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=larp
axcho

Posted: 20 Nov 2005 11:34:35 pm    Post subject:

I was just reading this interview of Will Wright, where he was talking about making the biggest possible possibility space for games. Automata would have a very large possibility space. But the point is not to just have a bunch of variables on the computer. The important possibility space is the one modeled in the player's head. So the game has to compelling and understandable for the possibility space to be understood and appreciated.

Here's what Will Wright said about it:
Quote:
Well, actually, the way to put it is that I’m trying to build the maximum possibility space in your head, not on the computer. (Laughter.) Okay. Because the possibility space on the computer is just a huge pile of numbers, but as far as you’re concerned that pile of numbers is the same as another pile of numbers. Whereas when you get sounds and people and events hooked up to it, all of a sudden, you’re mental model starts to take form. And one set of numbers can be vastly different from another. So it has an entirely different meaning in your head. I think what we’re trying to do is build the maximum possibility space in your imagination when you’re playing the game.
I thought it was interesting. Basically all that possibility is worthless if the player doesn't understand it.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 12:14:32 pm    Post subject:

However, that understanding is worthless when the possibility isn't there on the computer.

If you see two characters walking on a street you'll understand that they're human beings and thus can be interacted with in all sorts of ways, whereas the game (being sucky and limited) will probably only let you say "hi" and "bye" to them and maybe let you attack them. You understood all sorts of thiungs about these virtual beings but you couldn't do squat with that understanding.

My dream is to have a system where this understanding always forms a possibility.

And crazily advanced AI (with social structure, political opinions, prioritisation based on character profiles, mindset and emotions, etc), gotta have that.

However, it's easyer to just imagine or do it than make a virtual system that simulates this.
axcho

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 06:01:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
However, that understanding is worthless when the possibility isn't there on the computer.
Actually, he is arguing that understanding is all that matters. Books are all about the space modeled in your head, which doesn't exist in the words or pages. In the Sims for example, the level of abstraction is purposely very consistent so it is easy for players to read more into it than there actually is. If some parts of the game were noticeably more detailed than others, it would be hard to suspend your disbelief.

I think what you are talking about is when the unrealistic interaction between the player and the game environment forces the player to see the limitations of the simulation.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 07:00:39 pm    Post subject:

I suggest you go with the card combonation in Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories.I was slightly amused with finding all the sleights.I think runescape is fun, I don't mind the runecrafting, or crafting, or smithing, or fishing, or practicing magic(*pant pant pant,deep breath*)or fighting, or fishing, or theiving, or farming, or eating, or slaying, or anything i happened to miss. If you don't do that try following The Matrix:Path of Neo, have lots of techniques and magic and have it branch into different paths so you only learn some of it and their are still some moves you will never learn. I suggest that since I'm a RPG programmer myself. Just don't ask me anything, asm is confusing! :confused:
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 07:12:47 pm    Post subject:

i must be one of those narrow minded RPG gamers who enjoys having fun being almighty and powerful, and able to crush any monster that stands in my way.

@Lunar Wolf Demon: You bring up an interesting suggestion. One of my friends mentioned that perhaps a simplified RPG system would only consist of feats. Every level you'd only get a certain number. Your character is more customizable, but there are still limits as to what can be done.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement