This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 10:44:46 pm    Post subject:

There is an idea that I've been considering working on, an Integrated Development Environment for z80 TI models in C#. If I do decide to finish this then I would most likely release the IDE as opensource under the BSD license.

What I am visioning, a semi-basic IDE that you can create a new project with and create and/or associate multiple files of source code, multiple files can be open at the same time. Syntax highlighting for the asm code. Integrated compiling abilities for each TI model. I could easily support the Ti-82 through the Ti-86 without much additional effort, but would likely need help to add support for any of the 68k models.

Of course there are more ideas I have that could make this much more elaborate, but those basics would need to come first for it to be really useful. Please leave input on what you think of this project, and should I invest any time working on it.

Some advantages I'm seeing with this being in C#, it would be compatible with .net, and could therefore be run or recompiled for most any *nix computers, likely including Macs.

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 10:47:49 pm    Post subject:

Mutliple files would be a big help. Something with code bookmarks would help too on large programs.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Nov 2005 11:04:48 pm    Post subject:

Multiple files are a must, otherwise its not very practical in my opinion. I don't think bookmarks would be too difficult to implement, and it is an excellent idea.

--AlienCC
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 02:49:54 pm    Post subject:

C# would be awesome for z80s! It would be as big as TIGCC for 68Ks!!
Stuff like libs, syntax coloring, etc would make it more appealing. Take a look at PHP Designer 2005; it's an amazing model IDE, imho.

DigiTan wrote:
Mutliple files would be a big help.  Something with code bookmarks would help too on large programs.
[post="61003"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
"Big Brother's Watching You". Especially on this 1984th post of yours.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Nov 2005 02:50:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 03:14:10 pm    Post subject:

that would be awesome. have you done any work on it yet, or is this still being designed
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Nov 2005 04:41:34 pm    Post subject:

Um, Brazucs, I think that's the langauge the IDE is in Smile. Actually, I know it.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Nov 2005 04:10:29 am    Post subject:

Yes the IDE itself would be written in C#. I have started some very base work on this project, but have not invested much time at all yet, I was hoping to get some more feedback to see if its even worth investing time into. So far it might benefit 4 people, this is a big project for only 4 users.

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 02:43:21 am    Post subject:

Wonderful. I want it. Give me liberty, and give me death. Or something like that.

Whatever, I just want a cool IDE with syntax highlighting.

I'd suggest you look into wxWidgets, but that's only because I'm biased against .NET...

But whatever. Your IDE, your choice. :)

As long as it works, I won't complain.

In the compiler, I'd like to see macros, and stuff.

And opcode thingers. That's be cool.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2005 02:48:48 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Nov 2005 04:44:55 am    Post subject:

Looks like perhaps a few more people would use this afterall.

A couple of things:
One of the main driving reasons behind my language choice of .NET and C#, I will need to learn these for work in the near future want or not anyway. This gives me a focused project to ensure I learn it a little bit faster and better on my own time, then I would only at work between assigned tasks.

Another reason is because of the Mono project this will allow for a cross platform application, so more then just Windows* users will be able to benefit from my efforts.

I do not plan on writing a compiler, but potentially rebundling an existing one, with integration in my project to work with it. There is no need to rewrite tasm, when it already works so well.

As such I am planning to release my code under the BSD license, so it should not be a big problem for anyone to port it to their native mono supported OS of choice.

Screenshot to come in a couple days with perhaps a small update on what I have so far.

--AlienCC
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 12:06:02 am    Post subject:

when you say IDE, do you mean basic, asm, or both? Regardless, included compiling of projects would be a major help to people new to asm (I remeber that it took me two mounths to figure out how to compile helloworld.asm when I first tried my hand at it)

Also, it may/may not be trivial, but tools to easily include/make sprites and graphics would be nice...as would be a included set of routines/calls with a help library to explain the syntaxes...
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 10:22:23 am    Post subject:

I beg of you....make it cross-platform....please
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 03:49:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, go for old Mac OS 9 type availability.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 08:16:17 pm    Post subject:

Initially I am planning for z80 Asm support, other things could be added later. Yes it should be multi-platform supported through mono, but I do not have a Mac.

--AlienCC
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2005 08:48:48 pm    Post subject:

I'll beta test an OS X version, and Im sure bananaman would be happy to test a Classic version*nudge nudge*wink wink*hint hint* (actually I could too)
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 May 2006 05:51:46 am    Post subject:

Due to lack of interest from the community, and myself, not to mention a significant lack of time I will be dropping this project. There are plenty of other editors out there that work just fine.

--AlienCC
CoBB

Posted: 29 May 2006 02:17:58 pm    Post subject:

Note that Latenite is exactly what you're talking about here, except that it was started earlier and still active.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement