This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 01:44:17 am    Post subject:

Huffman is quite nice. I did a model on my clac thayt compresse strings and made them 85% smaller regrdless of their composition. Only problem was that It only worked for character strings.
John Barrus

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 11:21:08 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. How come it only worked for character strings?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2003 02:37:45 am    Post subject:

If a byte is a byte in a string, in a program, in a group, or any other variable, your routine should work everywere meaning you should be as famous as Michal Vincent, Bill Nagal, Ben Illegbdu, Bob Marseah, Dan Englender, Scott Dial, and all those other important people.

I guess you wrote only a peliminarey model, however.
Glen
Prokul Interactive

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 12:52:40 pm    Post subject:

so what do you guys say, lets do it........ someone create a program that converts .txt to a ti app.......... i have the etexts ready to be converted........
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 03:22:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but we first have to figure out some form of compression.
One clarification, the ASCII table is AFAIK only 128 chars, which means that bit 7 is not used.
Maybe we could skip bit 6 like you suggested. Then we'd have 25% compression rate :)

Huffman is the most effective non-destructive algorithm. However, I'm not sure if it's suitable for such relatively small files you put on the calculator.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2003 05:09:46 am; edited 1 time in total
John Barrus

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 12:26:11 am    Post subject:

25% compression is still pretty nice. Laughing

I figure 20,000 bytes of text would be the max amount. Would Huffman be effective for that size?
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:12:35 am    Post subject:

I can only speculate, but 20 KB of text can be compressed pretty well by using Huffman.
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2003 09:16:17 pm    Post subject:

Yea, Justin, what is this Propad thing you have been working on actualy do? Word processor?

I think the ebook reader idea is quite cool. Perhaps we could change movies too! Make an entire media player if you will.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 08:44:25 am    Post subject:

Propad is a word processor program. You can get version 1.8 of it Here. It's a cool program. One question,how could you do movies? I mean, I know you can make some form of a movie,but could the calculator actually be able to handle playing movies? You would have to re-format them,of course,for the calculator,but is that even possible?
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 09:14:53 am    Post subject:

Not to mention movies would become quite large if they had any quality.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 09:22:24 am    Post subject:

Yes,they would be pretty large. Also,I've seen some mini "movies" people have put on their calcs and they are really bad. You can't really make them out at all!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 09:44:19 am    Post subject:

The way I'd do it is making something similar to flash. Or more like a game without getting the user's input.
Just move some objects and use the calculator's functions to draw stuff like lines.

Like you first use lines to draw the horizon and some trees and then draw 2 stick figures moving towards eachother, draw some text balloons with text, and you have a simple movie.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 04:37:50 pm    Post subject:

but what fun is it? i mean, it would be cool to show ur friends, but is it really worth the space?
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Jun 2003 06:31:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One question,how could you do movies? I mean, I know you can make some form of a movie,but could the calculator actually be able to handle playing movies? You would have to re-format them,of course,for the calculator,but is that even possible?

Yes, you can in fact. There are two main forms of movies on the ti. FIrst there are raw data movies. these movies can be compaired to Mp3's compressed but have raw moavie data. The other main form is more like midi. You have a library f textures that are included with the movie, and the move calls them in order and i form to form the animation.. If you say it looks crude, well you are usually right, however the important thng to realize its that there is basically no limit to the detail of the movie., It can look as good as yuou program it. and it takes little memory. It may be that is is comletely pointless, however we still need to experement to truly know the potential.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement