This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 12:20:28 am    Post subject:

I love to sink my teeth into a good topic as much as the next ghoul, but lately I've noticed dead thread revivals are happening with spine-tingling regularity. Officially, our preference is you use existing topics before starting one anew, but I'm not talking about your graveyard-variety revival here. Often, the respondant seems erily unaware that the discussion is long-since buried. Of corpse, we all make mistakes, but this can still be a monster of a problem. My point is, it's time for some ghostbusting. We have active threads and we have inactive threads, so its up to you the reader to tell witch is witch. Before we're overrun with mobs of torch-weilding villagers here are some spooktacular suggestions:

Firstly, check the headstone. A 2004 "last reply" date should be a dead giveaway. Second, use View New Posts and Today's Active Topics to spot any signs of decay. Third, searches and the "online users" list can be a howling good time, but remember, not all those threads are active. Finally, before you brush off any cobwebs, ask yourself the following:

* Is the issue still active?
* Do I have an important update for this topic?
* Am I making an important correction to something?
* Am I adding anything else that's productive and relevant?

Fang you very much...

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2005 12:31:46 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 06:17:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, thread necromancy can be pretty annoying. It can be necessary though, like when you are picking up your old project again or something like that.
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 06:59:03 am    Post subject:

Personally, I would only revive topics if a ) there's a critical part of the discussion the post and subsequent replies did not touch, or b ) something new and interesting came up.

I agree, inane one-liner replies to "fossilized posts" (like the term? Wink) are a PITA.

thornahawk

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2005 08:15:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 10:05:16 am    Post subject:

One could say the same applies to one-liners in active topics.

edit: Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2005 10:05:27 am; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 10:14:42 am    Post subject:

I am a firm believer in the saying "brevity is the soul of wit", but really, one-liners that don't add anything of substance are, well, what I said earlier... :D

Arcane, there is such a thing as following the rule "in spirit" and breaking the rule "in letter". Smile ;)

thornahawk

P.S. I forgot to commend DigiTan's choice of verbiage. Razz
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 04:40:55 pm    Post subject:

Nah, I'm just howling at the moon here. But it drives me batty to see some many threads lose a proper burial. Our forum organization could be headed for an early grave.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 05:12:12 pm    Post subject:

thornahawk wrote:
Arcane, there is such a thing as following the rule "in spirit" and breaking the rule "in letter". Smile ;)

thornahawk[post="58821"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The same applies to enforcing said rule.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 08:20:17 pm    Post subject:

there have been a flux of zombie-topics lately. Many of them seem to have been conjured back by n00bs who dont read the post date....

of course I think I have revived a few myself as well....
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 08:33:31 pm    Post subject:

What is it with all the recent 'n00b' calling around here lately? It seems like lately everyone is calling people with post counts less than 10 n00bs. Just because people make mistakes doesn't mean you should be so harsh. A n00b is someone who is extremely rude time and time again and doesn't listen no matter what.

As for dead threads, I agree. And I like the choice of words.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 08:47:15 pm    Post subject:

use of the word n00b indicates someone who is new.....I was a n00b in january.....UTI even has a "Newbie" rank...
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 09:19:33 pm    Post subject:

"Newb" != "n00b"

That's common internet knowledge for all you 1337 internet people out there.

Newb is used more... affectionately? For lack of a better word.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 11:16:56 pm    Post subject:

Name calling is not a good way to attract or retain new members. In fact it goes directly against some reasons most of the active members are active here.

So the next person who participates in this name calling will receive a warning, and if it persists further administrative action.

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 11:54:37 pm    Post subject:

I guess you could say we have a bone to pick when it comes to this stuff. (Sorry, had to get one last halloween pun in). But really, we are dead serious.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2005 11:55:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 01:54:52 am    Post subject:

I don't know if this is already implemented or not, but what're the chances of having a PM sent to someone who creates a new account detailing some basic forum guidelines? (Forgive me for bringing it up if it's already in place. It's just that I never had to sign up for an account...)
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 06:28:22 am    Post subject:

Maybe a big flashing link to the forum rules and FAQ on every page for users with less than 10 posts? It worked fine on other forums i've been.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 07:22:51 am    Post subject:

People already have to read the rules to register, I don't think unnessecarily annoying people is going to help.

It's not the thread revivals that are the problem, it's how one deals with it.

You can choose to be annoyed and loose all faith in humanity, or you can use whatever new statements where posted and be happy they didn't create a new topic that would result in the repeating of age-old arguments. Or something else entirely. I'm not going to point out which choice is the wisest.

Quote:
Often, the respondant seems erily unaware that the discussion is long-since buried. Of corpse, we all make mistakes, but this can still be a monster of a problem.
How is it a problem? What's bad about a new post not showing any knowledge about the thread's age? How does it matter if a new post is made in an old topic instead of a topic made yesterday? There's absolutely no problem here, at least not reviving old topics.

It's already established it's fine when the new post has some decent content, right? So thread revival is supposedly bad when the new post is bad, right? Wrong, the new post is bad, not the fact it was made in an old topic. That's actually the good thing about it, possibly sparking new life in an old discussion.

The alternative, creating a new topic, is only worse, on at least three grounds:

• Old knowledge is lost, forgotten, or isn't mentioned.
  • Finding specific knowledge, comments, or opinions about something becomes harder when there are more topics about it. This scares of new members.
  • A new topic can start with a short useless post just as much as your average thread revival.
Also, I've seen a pro-thread-revival policy actively enforced on a big forum for a commercial game. (Warhammer Online, it was canceled just before open beta :'() It worked great, all the knowledge and opinions about a topic could be found in a single thread, everybody knew where to find it, and you didn't have to dig through dozens of threads about the same thing to find a particular answer you where looking for.

I'm not saying we should do it that way, but I'm saying we shouldn't ban thread revival of any form. The thing some of us are against is the way in which some topics are revived, and that's an entirely different issue, namely one-liners.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Oct 2005 07:25:10 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 01:57:35 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
How is it a problem?

An erie example:

Ghost: My calc crashed and I need it for midterms. What should I do?
Ghoul (a year later): I think I can help...

This has been happening tomb and tomb again lately and has frightening familiarity to other forums I've been stalking. If the reply doesn't contribute, it's like my mummy always told me: there's no use beating a dead horse. Otherwise, haunting and old thread is no problem to me.

Anyway, checking dates is an easy undertaking and can save everyone a lot of confusion.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 02:27:21 pm    Post subject:

okay...I humbly apologize for my confusing n00b for newb.
Digitan does have a point here, and it does seem to be mostly new members. For example, somebody asked why moving GS screenie of Fate by Fire wasn't made using PTI, in reply to a post that was made before PTI came out....
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 02:34:46 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
How is it a problem?
An erie example:

Ghost: My calc crashed and I need it for midterms. What should I do?
Ghoul (a year later): I think I can help...

This has been happening tomb and tomb again lately and has frightening familiarity to other forums I've been stalking. If the reply doesn't contribute, it's like my mummy always told me: there's no use beating a dead horse. Otherwise, haunting and old thread is no problem to me.[post="58936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Now imagine somebody else had the same problem and looked in that topic after the revival instead of searching dozens of topics or having to create a new topic, wait for replies, and hope any of them are usable, he might actually find an answer within minutes instead of days or weeks or never.

What are dead horses for if not a good public beating?

Quote:
For example, somebody asked why moving GS screenie of Fate by Fire wasn't made using PTI, in reply to a post that was made before PTI came out....
We, the all-knowing elite, could of course be nice and answer his question. :roll:

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Oct 2005 02:40:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Oct 2005 02:55:30 pm    Post subject:

although actually, we did, and several people showed him where the date on the reply was too, so he could check things like that in the future. And I dont think there is anything wrong with reviving old topics, as I have done it myself, on multiple occasions. I just think that checking the post date on the previous comment before posting can save hassle, especially in the world of digital devices, where things happen on a much faster time scale then in most other places
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement