This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 10:29:42 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
I didn't realize we could either.  I don't see anything that says 'ban user,' but there is 'suspend posting ability indefinitely.'

Oh, and for anyone who's interested, I think I would have failed this test.[post="59664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Upon further research I've come to the conclusion that you cannot, that will be fixed once we upgrade to IPB 2.1.x which won't be for a little while yet.

I probably would have failed this test too, and the sad thing is I wrote some of the questions.

--AlienCC
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 26 Oct 2005 05:54:06 pm    Post subject:

well, as long as you all fail, none of you fails..yeeeaaahhhh.....
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 02:51:44 am    Post subject:

You guys have done great. I am also doing my best to be most fair.

11. In the Windows Device Manger, what is the difference between an Red X and a Yellow Exclamation Mark?

The Major Difference between a Red X and a Yellow Exclamation Mark was Hardware versus a Software error. For instance, if you have a PCMCIA/PC Cardbus Ethernet Adapter plugged into a laptop and you have the appropriate driver loaded, the card should work. If you do not use the Safely Remove Hardware wizard to unload the driver prior to removal, the driver will stay loaded without the hardware. You will see a Red X indicating the hardware stopped responding to the driver. A Yellow Exclamation Point generally means there is a problem with the driver. For example, if you have a network card on your computer and you find the system files the driver inf points too and delete it, your network card will stop functioning and you will get a yellow exclamation indicating a problem with the driver.

A Red X can also mean the device is disabled. A yellow exclamation can also mean the device is in conflict with another device.

To get credit, the answer had to be similar to the above.

12. What is DNS and what does it have to do with the Internet and Intranets? Also, name a DNS Server Service.

DNS stands for Domain Name System and translates names to IP addresses and vice versa though forward and reverse lookups. DNS is typically arranged in Zones for Forward and Reverse lookup. DNS contains different record types such as A, MX, CNAME, PTR, …

To name a DNS Server Service, I was looking for you to list an implementation of DNS, but I also accepted a server name.

Berkley BIND
NAMED
… there are many demons or services that provide DNS Support

You could have listed a server. For instance, you could say ns1.unitedti.og is a domain name server (name server).

It is good to know about BIND files, Queries to DNS, etc.

DNS is one of the most important services on the Internet and on most networks. Windows, MacOS, Linux, BSD… use it to find computers and servers by name on a network. It is even common to setup DHCP and DNS together and have a computer’s name registered in DNS by DHCP via Dynamic DNS provided as a possibility when operating DNS in Active Directory Integrated mode.

To make a long story short, you can’t get your email, visit a website, transfer a file, or do anything that requires a connection to another server unless you can find the server. DNS is one of the few services that affect the ability of countless others to function properly.

13. In TI-BASIC, what is the fastest type of loop and why?

This is debatable. We think the For loop is one of the fastest because its incrimination is built-in, and we have tested it to be one of the fastest. As long as you can explain your reasoning, we will give you credit on this one.

14. In TI-BASIC, what does If (A) test? Give some examples of what would make this statement evaluate to true and false.

If A tests whether or not A is zero or non-zero. Essentially, if A is anything except 0, it will evaluate true. If A is 0 and only 0, this statement evaluates to false.

15. In Z80 Assembly, “ld” references what?

Ld is a Z80 instruction for load. It means load a value into a register or memory. It can be used to move/copy data among the registers and memory too.

I am still working on the answers. I really only have one left. It was killer doing one that took 3 pages and will be in the next post.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Oct 2005 02:54:37 am; edited 1 time in total
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 28 Oct 2005 04:19:58 pm    Post subject:

heh, i would have gotten the last three, at least... Smile
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 04:43:21 pm    Post subject:

15. In Z80 Assembly, “ld” references what?

Ld is a Z80 instruction for load. It means load a value into a register or memory. It can be used to move/copy data among the registers and memory too.

16. Why is the use of “goto” bad practice in general?

There are many answers that are correct.

It is difficult to keep track of the code if you use too many goto statements; therefore, you can make mistakes…

Slow is the second reason

The final and most important reason is because people loose track of where they are jumping from and too. Essentially, if you jump from an open loop of any kind, you leave hanging memory; therefore, your program leaks memory.

For example:

Code:
Goto B
Lbl A
End
Goto C

Lbl B
While 1
Goto A

Lbl C

In the above example, the program starts by going to label B and opening an endless while loop. The program then jumps to Label A from within an open While loop (terrible practice). When it finds Label A, it hits End (Actually Reclaims Memory) and then continues from the start of the While Loop. It does not goto C; therefore, it proves that the end belongs to the While statement! The Above example creates and endless While Loop by essentially moving the bottom portion of the loop above the loops beginning.

Another Example that proves a memory leak by creating one and not reclaiming memory is as follows:

Code:
Lbl A
While 1
Goto A
End

The Above Essentially starts a While Loop then from within the While Loop jumps to the beginning without closing the loop and opens another loop… This is a Basic Program Memory Leak.

Give it a try. You should get
Err:Memory
1: Quit

17. What is the purpose of using an “inner join” in SQL?

The INNER JOIN returns all rows from both tables where there is a match. If there are rows in Employees that do not have matches in Orders, those rows will not be listed.

18. Why is using proper spelling and Grammar important?

Correct Spelling and Grammar is important because it provides the necessary communication skills for the basis of discussion. You could have given us any answer that makes since and we would accept it. This one was an easy one thrown in the mix to stir things up. We accepted just about anything here!

19. Given the IP address of a computer (10.1.0.1) on a network with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0, list any 3 possible subnets that can be made, list the network address of each subnet, list the valid IP ranges for each subnet, and list the broadcast IP for each subnet. Also, name a piece of equipment you would need to direct packets from one subnet to another.

This was likely the most challenging question on the entire test / interview. This question was added to see if you have an understanding of TCP/IP Networks.

To start With, the question says you are to list the IP Ranges, you are to list the subnet, you are to list the broadcast IP, and you are to do this for each subnet! In other words, each subnet has all of these things!

I chose a very simple IP Address scheme in the Public Private IP Range of Reserved IP Addresses.

However, before I give you the correct answer, You probably need a lot of background information and explanation to understand it.

Here is the complete list of Reserved IP Addresses as far as I can tell.

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
127.0.0.0 - 127.255.255.255
169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255

To start with, IP Addresses are formed in 4 groups of decimal numbers 0 to 255 separated by a “.” For example 1.2.3.4

Each number is referred to as an octet

1 is an Octet
2 is an Octet
3 is an Octet
4 is an Octet

Each octet can be expressed as a 1 byte binary number.

For example 11111111.00000000.00000011.00000101 would be (255.0.3.5)

Yes, you need to understand binary if you want to be able to subnet and not do it with even byte numbers. I used whole byte numbers, so you did not need to know anything about binary to answer this question.

To continue:

In TCP/IP, there are several IP classes. The ones you should be concerned with are Class A, Class B, and Class C.

Class A means 0nnnnnnn for the first number where n is a 0 or a 1
In other words you can go 00000000 to 01111111 for Class A

Class B means 10nnnnnn for the first number where n is a 0 or a 1
For B you can go 10000000 to 10111111

Class C means 110nnnnn for the first number where n is a 0 or a 1
For C you can go 11000000 to 11011111

Now let’s convert to base 10 nomral decimal:

Class A has the first Octet of 0-127 (127 is reserved for localhost/loopback)
Class B has the first Octet of 128 to 191
Class C has the first Octet of 192 – 223

Greater Than 223 is Class D or Class E. They are not very important to know. Just know D is Multicast and E is experimental. You really won’t setup a network in the D or E scheme, so don’t worry about numbers bigger than 223 right now.

Therefore, if you see a computer with the IP of 132.18.292.2, you will know it is Class B IP Address!

You now may ask, why is this important.

Okay, this is important to know because each class has a different Default SubNet Mask.

Class A: 255.0.0.0
Class B: 255.255.0.0
Class C: 255.255.255.0

The Default Subnet Mask I used when there are no subnets.
So, if you see 172.16.0.24 with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0, you know there is only one network. There is no subnet joining multiple networks.

If you see 172.16.1.24 with a Subnet of 255.255.255.0, you have probably have subnets on the network.

In this example, you have N.N.S.H (N = Network, S= Subnet, H=Host) Essentially, this is saying 172.16 is the Network (Everything on the entire Wide Area network will have these exact same numbers.) The next number, the 1 is saying this is Subnet #1, and finally, the 24 says host 24 on this Subnet.

In other Words 172.16.1.24/255.255.255.0 reads:
Host 24 on Subnet 1 of the 17.16 Network.

Okay, now we are clear on the basics of setting up basic IP Schemes. To setup a private network, we need to use either the 10, the 172, or 192 scheme. You may see the 192 scheme used in your basic home Wireless Access Point. It is essentially assigning you a 192.168.x.N/255.255.255.0 Esseentially, x can be anything provided it is the same throughout your network and each computer Node will have a different N

The last Tid of information is that you must be on the Same Network and same SubNet to talk to another node. In other words, if you have 2 computers IP 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.0.200 both with 255.255.255.0, they essentially belong to different networks. The first belongs to 192.168.1 network and the second belongs to 192.168.0 network. You will not even be able to ping the other node.

Now if we have different subnets, the same is true with hubs and switches.
172.16.1.24/255.255.255.0 cannot ping or communicate with 172.16.2.50255.255.255.0

However, a router operates at the Network Layer of TCP/IP and can route packets to different subnets. In other words, a router or 2 routers (one at each site) can make it possible to ping those computers above in the 172.16… ip scheme.

Finally, the Answer to the question:

You have a computer 10.1.0.1 with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.0.0

This tells you have a Public Private IP Address. This is not Internet Routable.

The 10 tells you this is a Class A IP Address.

A Class A should have 255.0.0.0.0, but this has 255.255.0.0

This means we have a 1 Byte Subnet ID

Means we have N.S.H.H or Network.Subnet.Host.Host!

Okay, so we are asked to give 3 possible subnets, their ip address range, and broadcast IP.

First Subnet:

10.1.0.0 is a Network Address. It defines the 10.1 Subnet
10.1.0.1 - 10.1.255.254 is the possible IP Addresses that can be used on this Subnet
10.1.255.255 is reserved for Broadcast

Second Subnet:

10.2.0.0 is a Network Address. It defines the 10.2 Subnet
10.2.0.1 - 10.2.255.254 is the possible IP Addresses that can be used on this Subnet
10.2.255.255 is reserved for Broadcast

Third Subnet:

10.3.0.0 is a Network Address. It defines the 10.3 Subnet
10.3.0.1 - 10.3.255.254 is the possible IP Addresses that can be used on this Subnet
10.3.255.255 is reserved for Broadcast

You can create more.

To move IP packets from one Subnet to another, you would need a Router or some other piece of Networking Equipment that is aware of the Network Layer of the TCP/IP OSI Model.

20. What is the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and what are Snap-Ins? In addition, name 2 Snap-Ins. (Be sure to include the proper extension of the Snap-In)

The Microsoft Management Console is a place to change many configuration settings in Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and newer versions of Windows. It is run by running mmc. Start > Run > MMC

To make a console, you select Add and Remove Snap-Ins and you can list any two to get credit.

The extension is a .msc

For example, if you click start > run and type gpedit.msc you will load the Group Policy Editor Snap-In. Last, I should mention that you can save consoles in different modes. You can save in Author Mode, User Mode Full Access, User Mode Limited Access Multiple Widnows, or User Mode Limited Access Single Window.

Essentially, the mmc allows you much more control configuring your computer or network.

For instance, on a network running Active Directory, you can create a Group Policy object on a Container and use the Group Policy Snap-In to edit the policy. When a user logs in and the policy is applied you will have configured their computer.

This is the last of the questions. I believe the last 5 were the most challenging. I will be giving you all back your graded tests shortly

I should have a winner announced soon

Last edited by Guest on 29 Oct 2005 04:48:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 05:21:40 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, I think the whole thing was way to geared towards technical knowledge as opposed to what are the types of qualities a good admin should have. I'm not saying I could write a test, but what on earth would knowing what an Inner Join in MySQL does have to do with being fair, respectful, knowing when to act, etc, etc?

I'm a hypocrite I guess because I sure wouldn't want to have to write a test like this, but...
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 05:29:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
(Be sure to include the proper extension of the Snap-In)
Argh! I knew that, but didn't see it Dry
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 06:00:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't like question 13. There is no fastest loop (of course, the more specific the instruction gets, the faster it works. but you lose generality. a For loop used for a getKey loop would be slower and more pointless than a While or Repeat loop). seq() might be considered the fastest if you can call it a loop.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 06:47:31 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
Honestly, I think the whole thing was way to geared towards technical knowledge as opposed to what are the types of qualities a good admin should have. I'm not saying I could write a test, but what on earth would knowing what an Inner Join in MySQL does have to do with being fair, respectful, knowing when to act, etc, etc?

I'm a hypocrite I guess because I sure wouldn't want to have to write a test like this, but...[post="59960"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Does it make you feel any better that the previous staff member could've answered all these questions correctly? And the new staff member most likely will too?
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 07:40:28 pm    Post subject:

No not really, because the point isn't if your're a super-whiz, it's whether or not you have leadership skills. Honestly, why would a staffer need to know what grep does?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 07:47:12 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I think I completely bombed the TCP/IP question.

JBirk, sorry about the 5 submissions - I've decided to not work on tests around midnight when I'm sleep deprived. Please forgive me.

Edit:
Wait....I only submitted 4 times, not 5.
And its seems I did completely bomb the TCP/IP question.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Oct 2005 08:01:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 09:35:18 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
No not really, because the point isn't if your're a super-whiz, it's whether or not you have leadership skills. Honestly, why would a staffer need to know what grep does?[post="59979"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Because part of the job is technical support, as mentioned in the Opening Post.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 09:36:53 pm    Post subject:

Its not so much knowing all the answers, as knowing where and how to find them.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 11:48:57 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, what we were looking for was your ability to read the questsions completely and answer each part of the questions.

If you did not know the answer, we wanted you to be able to know how to find them. That is the skill we are looking for in an administrator.

Rezek:
Knowing about an Inner Join has nothing to do with being fair, respectful, or knowing when to act.

Brazucs:
Nobody really saw half of the question about the MMC. We were hoping someone would have said the extension is .msc because that is half the question.

Sir Robin:
There may or may not be a fastest loop. We were expecting each applicant to state an answer and backup his or her opinion. I even said, "If you can explain your reasoning, you will get credit"

Arcane Wizard:
It was challenging comming up with the questions and answers. There are no exact answers on many of these. The sole purpose is to test the applicants ability to use resourses to look-up info... It was not a test of knowledge.

Rezek:
Yes, this test does check for leadership skills too

Darth:
You are correct, you only submitted it 4 times. I did not mention your name above or even say who applied. However, I did not hold it against you in final grade. I simple appended your test because all of your answers arrived before the deadline.

Arcane Wizard:
You are correct. Part of the job is being a Tech Wiz and being able to answer questions, part is the standard Staff and Moderation, and part is the Calc stuff. We are most concerned with the ability of an applicant to look-up an answer about something he or she does not know.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 07:01:38 am    Post subject:

I didn't say it was about knowledge or that all the questions should be answered from memory. I don't work that way either.

Wikipedia for the win. Laughing
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 07:27:16 am    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
Brazucs:
Nobody really saw half of the question about the  MMC.  We were hoping someone would have said the extension is .msc because that is half the question.

I gave an example of some snapins with their extention (like i beleive there's a compsrv.msc (for component services or something like that). was that ok?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 02:59:52 pm    Post subject:

I just didn't get that question... couldn't even use wiki for it.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 05:39:12 pm    Post subject:

I guess someone deleted it. Stupid people: can't delete the Microsoft page so they go for this.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 07:46:09 pm    Post subject:

koolmansam375 wrote:
Jbirk wrote:
Brazucs:
Nobody really saw half of the question about the  MMC.  We were hoping someone would have said the extension is .msc because that is half the question.

I gave an example of some snapins with their extention (like i beleive there's a compsrv.msc (for component services or something like that). was that ok?
[post="60014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I haven't gotten around to grading question 20 yet.

I have graded the first 10 questions of everyones test.
If you mentioned compsrv.msc, you did fine because you listed the extension. Still, there is no compsrv.msc But hey you would have done okay.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Oct 2005 08:27:37 pm    Post subject:

I graded the first 15 questions from everyones test.

I have 5 more questions on 7 tests, then I need to generate totals, and return the tests via PM.

I hope to have time to do that tonight. I will probably have dinner first.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 8 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement