This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 05:05:05 pm    Post subject:

Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
:confused: Last time someone gave me a link and it was for the TI86!!!!!!!!!
[post="62194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The link for the Ti-86 is exactly the same as the Ti-83+ and Ti-83 calculators. You can only link up calculators of the same series. (Ti-83+ and Ti-84+, or Ti-86 and maybe Ti-85)
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 05:09:00 pm    Post subject:

calcul831415 wrote:
Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
:confused: Last time someone gave me a link and it was for the TI86!!!!!!!!!  [post="62194"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The link for the Ti-86 is exactly the same as the Ti-83+ and Ti-83 calculators. You can only link up calculators of the same series. (Ti-83+ and Ti-84+, or Ti-86 and maybe Ti-85) [post="62225"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I think he meant a link to a tutorial.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2005 05:09:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 09:27:49 am    Post subject:

Yes,yes i did mean a link for a tutoriall :ninja:

One of my friends suggseted that instead of getkey->K I should use getkey->L1(1)
and then use clrlist at the end of the program.I think this is ingenius what about you guys?

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2005 12:50:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 03:44:27 pm    Post subject:

Using L1 takes up more memory in the program because L1(1 is 4 bytes and K is 1.
L1 takes up more memory when the program is running - 21 bytes, as opposed to K's 18 bytes.
L1 is slower to store to and access.
Finally, ClrList is the most pointless instruction I have ever encountered. It leaves the list intact, but removes all its elements, so it wastes 12 bytes of RAM. Use DelVar instead of ClrList in ALL cases.

I can't imagine why you would do this, ever.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 09:09:43 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I didn't know that. For some reason though, my calc still runs out of memory even if i use DelVar on K. That's weird.Why? Someone help me!!!!
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 09:20:33 pm    Post subject:

Leaks can result from one of two things: Using [font="courier new"]Goto inside a loop, or using [font="courier new"]Goto inside a contional statement.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Feb 2006 05:27:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Nov 2005 11:44:38 pm    Post subject:

But that Ti-86 ASM tutorial is probably a good one (i'm refering to The Guide). No offense to anyone, but I think Ti-86 is a great place to start learning programming especially if you don't have a computer. Just my opinion because of of the lowercase and all that program editing built in. Just my opinion.

[hypocrite]Why are you using lists anyways? There are already 30 variables, including finance variables at your disposal.[/hypocrite] :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 25 Nov 2005 11:45:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 11:04:02 pm    Post subject:

Hi Its Ben from school!!!

I have know idea how to fix it as you know but I need the same question answered becaus untill then my snakeish game won't work. I have some of the games you lost by the way you gave them to me befor you lost your calculater.

What would ans do it still drains memory and in such a program ans variable changes, you need to change the map variable etc.

Long Live The King!!!
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 11:42:08 pm    Post subject:

That was sudden and fast-paced. Ben from whose school?

Let's get one thing clear: [font="courier new"]Ans
does not drain memory! [font="courier new"]Goto does!
Whatever rumor started that needs to be ignored and forgotten.

Secondly, if you want to hold a chat session, you may use the proper protocols at your disposal,
or send a PM if you are so inclined to speak through these forums. Or, you may speak in person.

Without knowing exactly what the last part even means... [font="courier new"]Ans changes in
every program that has variable changes. Who needs to change what for... eh? Neutral
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 09:28:39 am    Post subject:

Obviously you can't use Ans for long-term variable storage. However, you can use it for local optimization.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Nov 2005 09:28:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 12:47:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, i just wanted to know if for loops drain memory or while loops.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 03:35:42 pm    Post subject:

Here are the possible ways to cause memory leaks in TI-Basic programs:

[font="courier new"]Lbl 0[color=#e4e4e4]________Lbl 0________Repeat _____While

Lbl 0________Lbl 0________For ________If
____________________________________Then
For ________If _________Goto 0_______
____________Then_____________________Goto 0
Goto 0___________________End__________
____________Goto 0___________________End
End______________________Lbl 0________
_____________End_______________________Lbl 0

Lbl 0[/color]
could be any label, but the point is that if it jumps out of any of the above loops or nests, that's one of 128 bytes lost right there. Another way to cause memory leaks is through running one or more programs recursively, i.e., initiating subroutines in such a way as to force the interpreter to "remember" 128 programs it needs to go back to once it passes through the last line of any such program or encounters a [font="courier new"]Return to go back to it ahead of time.

So, to answer your question... Neither of these loops—nor any loops in general—are to blame for the memory leaks. Improper handling of the interpreter so that the ends of these loops are missed is entirely at fault. Note also that a program's (undesirably) slowing down over time is directly affiliated with these memory leaks, and cannot be caused using any other coding methods. The only way to fix this is to rid all loops in the program of any [font="courier new"]Goto's that jump out of the loop.

Handy wrote:
Well, kids, that's all you get! That's it! READ A BOOK!

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 02:53:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 03:48:45 pm    Post subject:

If you're not far, posting your entire code so far would allow us to easily fix you're problem. Although, the extra speed of the silver edition will serve you well.

As for assembly, this is defentely the place to start. Make sure that you get an emulator though, so you don't kill your new calculator :biggrin: .
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 06:38:48 pm    Post subject:

and perhaps read ASMguru and IONguru immediately after. Remember, if you don't get it, just read it through and give it time to sink in. It's really easy actually. :biggrin: well not really, but conceptually simple (no actually not)
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 08:49:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If you're not far, posting your entire code so far would allow us to easily fix you're problem. Although, the extra speed of the silver edition will serve you well.

As for assembly, this is defentely the place to start. Make sure that you get an emulator though, so you don't kill your new calculator  .

Quote:
perhaps read ASMguru and IONguru immediately after. Remember, if you don't get it, just read it through and give it time to sink in. It's really easy actually.  well not really, but conceptually simple (no actually not)

Where do i find this ASMguru you speak of?And how do I get a rom dump?
I already have an emulator.
ASM is still a mystery to me.... :confused:
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 10:18:20 am    Post subject:

you dont need a ROM dump if you have an 83+ or 83+ Silver, you can just use the official SDK. If you have an 84 series, you need to use build TilEm and use rom8x to get a ROM image....also I would use sigma's 83pasm28d tutorial or Jeff Chai's tutorial, for 83+ info. ASMguru is for the regular 83
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2005 05:57:37 pm    Post subject:

Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
ASM is still a mystery to me.... :confused:

You know what is a mystery to me? How I could have owned a calculator and never know that a Basic command called sub( existed. Sometimes Basic confuses me more than ASM.

I would read ASMGuru after ASMin28 because it helped me slowly digest ASMin28. It's a lot more simple and straightforward. Definitely read IONGuru if you plan to take advantage of MirageOS/Ion. It's really really short.

To find IONGuru, just go to ticalc.org and search the file archives for "Andy."
Unzip it into the C:\ drive. When you want to compile a program, put the .z80 source file into the same folder as everything you unzipped and double-click the compile(.bat?) file. It will open a DOS window. Type in asm name of program. If all goes well, it will create your .8xp (83+) file.

@elfprince13: Is the SDK better than using Notepad and TASM?

Yay! I'm being helpful for once! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Dec 2005 09:29:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Yay! I'm being helpful for once! 

Thanks everyone!This helps alot!I plan to use elements as items but one friend says its stupid and another friends says its almost too practical.What do you think?

Sulfur*2+Oxygen*1=Fire
Hydrogen*2+Oxygen*1=Blizzard
Neon*2+Oxygen*1=Thunder

I want to know if this is okay.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Dec 2005 03:53:56 pm    Post subject:

Since you're the game developer and program writer, it should be your call. I think it's an excellent idea.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Dec 2005 04:40:44 pm    Post subject:

Sound's like Runescape. Talk to axcho about these kind of RPG elements; he is really into the math/science/art of RPG elements.

Are you learning ASM yet? Man, you have loads of free time! Good luck, cuz i'm still no expert at ASM (I just understand general concept, which is enough to allow me to understand other people's code, but not be able to write anything for myself :biggrin:)

edit: but do you have to use the real elements? It sounds too sciencey for a game, unless it's a futuristic game. btw, i think combining hydrogen and oxygen produces water, but you need an electrical current. It'll cause an explosion once it reacts.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2005 04:42:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement