This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Sep 2005 08:19:31 am    Post subject:

Can anybody help me create a movement program and battle program without taking so much memory.Preferably, I'd like to talk to the maker of Reign of Legends 1,2,&3. Well, I'm back and hi to all of you out there. :P

Why is no on answereing my posts? :confused: Any way, if anyone knows how to move lettersprites across the screen and check for objects in a neat, memory effecient way,please post.My USB isn't working so I can't play Reign of Legends 1,2,or,3 I've only seen pictures and,boy, do they look good.Thanks Again! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2005 03:32:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2005 07:01:17 pm    Post subject:

Eh, I wasn't sure of if you were looking for BASIC or ASM support. It sounds like BASIC though, and I'm too rusty on those optimizations to give advice. ...Other than leaving off those end parentheses.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Sep 2005 08:04:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Can anybody help me...
Hmm... Have you started one yet?

Since I'm assuming this will be your game, much of the programming should result from your own course of development. If you ask some more specific questions, then you'll be equipped with specific answers geared towards helping you better understand the language, wherein you can begin to learn things on your own and become more experienced as a result.

Heck, if you post code that you, yourself, have worked out but need help on improving, then I guarantee you you'll be given your solution plus a few optimizing tips along the way. As for the sprite routine, you'd better make headway either for your calculator manual or for the Search department. Wink

Last edited by Guest on 15 Sep 2005 08:09:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Sep 2005 08:48:20 pm    Post subject:

The author is Kevin , or Kevin Oulette (dangit, name spelled wrong...). He's very nice; I'm sure if you P.M'd him ('Kevin') he'd be more than happy to help you. I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you were an Omnimaga member to (I believe the link is http://omnimaga.earthforge.com ). That is a site that specializes in TI-RPG's.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 08:13:12 am    Post subject:

Its a basic game and I have a movement program that works through a system of :

Code:
getkey->K
While K=0
getkey->K
End
If K=24
Then

And so on and so on.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2005 08:14:05 am; edited 1 time in total
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 12:51:46 pm    Post subject:

Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
Its a basic game and I have a movement program that works through a system of :

Code:
getkey->K
While K=0
getkey->K
End
If K=24
Then

And so on and so on.
[post="56502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

this is faster, smaller, better:

Code:
Xpos->A:Ypos->B
Repeat K
getkey->K
End
A+(K=26)-(K=24->A;this is with Pt/Line
B+(K=25)-(K=34->B

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2005 12:52:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 05:38:33 pm    Post subject:

aforsy wrote:
this is faster, smaller, better:  [post="56521"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Code:
Repeat K
getkey->K
End
A+(K=26)-(K=24->A;this is with Pt/Line
B+(K=25)-(K=34->B
Ph34r Ans!

Code:
Repeat Ans      //Repeat always executes at least once, so no need to worry about conflicts
getkey->K
End
A+(Ans=26)-(Ans=24->A;this is with Pt/Line
B+(K=25)-(K=34->B    

EDIT: why do I get the feeling that my intelligence dropped 20+ points today?

Last edited by Guest on 21 Sep 2005 06:30:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 05:56:09 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Ph34r Ans!

Code:
Repeat Ans      //Repeat always executes at least once, so no need to worry about conflicts
getkey->K
End
B+(K=25)-(K=34->B    //if A is never going to be 25 or 34, use Ans here too and don't bother with storing getKey to K at all

[post="56550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

that last Ans use wouldn't work, as A would always be pasted to Ans and would very rarely reflect the true getkey value.
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 03:00:48 pm    Post subject:

Well my movement system isn't going too well... Sad Stupid getkey slows it down.

Anyhow, my friends at school are helping though none of them can program like i can no matter how inferior i may seem to you people. I've made several rooms which i've labeld prgmMAP1-2-3 and so on. each map is different and works on a hit a place and get transferred to the next map basis. Not memory effecient! my friend keeps annoying me about it! I'll try to post a demo but how do I put it here? :confused:

HELP ME!!!!
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Nov 2005 03:50:40 pm    Post subject:

1. You can upload it using Connectivity Software.
  2. You can type it up inside a code box: [­code]your program[/code]
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 09:13:57 am    Post subject:

I have TIConnect v1.6 but for some reason my comp is detecting my calc but not sending anything to it. Either my computer doesn't want to send it or my calculator doesn't want to recieve it. Got any trouble shooting tips? Also once I upload it where do i put it? My laptop is pissing me off!!!!! :x

Today I got the dreaded Err:Memory! After about 5 minutes of gameplay my character slowed down drastically and a really annoying error was born.How is Reign of Legends in BASIC and work without lag?!(I'm jealous of Kevin Oulette!Did he get any help here? Surprised )Anyway, help would be appreciated! Very Happy
Quote:
Repeat Ans      //Repeat always executes at least once, so no need to worry about conflicts
getkey->K
End
B+(K=25)-(K=34->B    //if A is never going to be 25 or 34, use Ans here too and don't bother with storing getKey to K at all

I have no idea what this means...Explain please?! :confused:

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2005 04:07:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 10:05:17 pm    Post subject:

Phew, I'm glad I caught your question by reading through this topic again. Editing after seven hours meant that anyone who has read your post before the update would have missed it entirely.

First of all, this code is made specifically for the graph screen, so it will not directly apply directly to home screen sprites. The first couple lines of the program are simply setting up the starting position of the character. [font="courier new"]A
will be the x-coordinate, and [font="courier new"]B will be the y-coordinate. It's important to define these, because the calculator would likely put the sprite in the wrong place otherwise. It doesn't know what to do with it unless you tell it what to do with it; machines can't read minds any better than we humans can!

The next three lines tell the calculator to wait until a keypress is made before moving forward. [font="courier new"]Repeat Ans will cycle through the following block of code (up until the [font="courier new"]End is met) until [font="courier new"]Ans (which is technically the last result stored in memory) is true, or nonzero (not equal to zero). You already know what [font="courier new"]getKey→K does, but did you know it saves the value of [font="courier new"]K into [font="courier new"]Ans as well?

This is important, because when that [font="courier new"]End is reached, the calculator will determine, per the [font="courier new"]Repeat argument (or, what is placed to describe the way certain functions behave), whether or not [font="courier new"]Ans is equal to zero. If it equals zero, that means no key has been pressed to change the value of [font="courier new"]K, so back to the top of the loop it goes! Conversely, when a key is pressed, the calculator understands that just by looking at [font="courier new"]Ans and seeing that it is something other than zero. Time to end the loop there and continue forward.

Generally, an equation is either said to be true or false. Do the sides equate, or do they represent two different values? Computers render these outputs very simply and efficiently: 1 if true, else 0. It's all ones and zeros, as I'm sure most people know about (yes, even those in your classes). Just look at the computer power button. Is it on? 1. What would happen if you switched it? 0, i.e., you are no longer reading this post. Did you need to test that? Nah. Two answers: 1 if true, else 0.

[font="courier new"]26→K
A+(K=26)-(K=24→A

Does K=26? 1
Does K=24? 0

[font="courier new"]A+([color=black]1)-(0→A[/color]

If that makes sense to you, then you've gone leaps and bounds in TI-Basic programming. :)

Let's check, just to be sure... [font="courier new"]1+4(1=2→A

What does [font="courier new"]A equal? The answer is hidden here (highlight to see it): 1+4×false=1

This gets the confusing stuff out of the way. Anything else here consists of drawing the characters and/or changing variables for different elements (e.g., what makes a game unique). As a tip, I think you should attempt to solve future problems before asking about them. Ninety-nine percent of my learning process came from a single book, thousands of hours, and millions of small synapses within my own head. For a long time, I had no knowledge of a forum to consult, and I continue to be the only one (that I know of) in my immediate area with an avid interest in calculator programming. Basically, I was on my own. You're lucky. :)

-Goose

Last edited by Guest on 21 Nov 2005 02:07:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 11:13:11 pm    Post subject:

Supergoose wrote:
...but did you know it saves the value of [font="courier new"]K into [font="courier new"]Ans as well?

...Ninety-nine percent of my learning process came from a single book, thousands of hours, and millions of small synapses within my own head. For a long time, I had no knowledge of a forum to consult, and I continue to be the only one (that I know of) in my immediate area with an avid interest in calculator programming. Basically, I was on my own. You're lucky. :)

-Goose

that's the thing that got me. How do you know when a math (or any) operation has changed the value of Ans?

i'm still the only one in my area remotely interested in calc programming. Most people at my school either don't have a clue about program, or take CompSci.

and learning on my own ended up in bad habits such as nested loops, ton's of nested labels and gotos, and very unoptimized code. Fortunately staying in tune with these forums have helped me nail some of the my previous mistakes (that I made last year as a Freshman)

I still need to make my first graphics game. and it's a close race between whether it will be in ASM or BASIC.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2005 11:15:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
katmaster

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 11:14:53 pm    Post subject:

What about the speed of the program slowing down and the mem error? I have problems like this sometimes too....
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 12:02:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
that's the thing that got me. How do you know when a math (or any) operation has changed the value of Ans?
Anything you can store to a variable will update [font="courier new"]Ans.

Quote:
What about the speed of the program slowing down and the mem error?
Quote One
Quote Two
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 09:22:14 am    Post subject:

I guess i am lucky to have friends who program on calculators also, I taught them everything they know but they have all started to branch into their own method of programming and we help each other, give each other tips, and complain about how messy and non-memory effecient each others BASIC is.

Though we all have one thing in common... We can't program asm!!!

Anyway thanks for the advice goose!I'll try it as soon as i can! Very Happy

Quote:
...but did you know it saves the value of K into Ans as well?

...Ninety-nine percent of my learning process came from a single book, thousands of hours, and millions of small synapses within my own head. For a long time, I had no knowledge of a forum to consult, and I continue to be the only one (that I know of) in my immediate area with an avid interest in calculator programming. Basically, I was on my own. You're lucky.

-Goose

I'm currently using lettersprites and i do use A and B as coordinates already.(just messily)
I'll keep you updated if I make a breakthrough.
When it comes to calc programming i have ADD, i start something, then get an idea, then start something else, and so on.
Thanks anyway!!! :biggrin:
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Nov 2005 04:37:22 pm    Post subject:

Lunar Wolf Demon wrote:
When it comes to calc programming i have ADD, i start something, then get an idea, then start something else, and so on.
Thanks anyway!!! :biggrin:

Hey! that's the same thing with me!
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 09:05:50 am    Post subject:

I'm starting to get distracted!!!!! I need to focus so I can finish this game!!!!! I got sent to the office for playing with my calculator but i left it in the classroom!!!It wasn't there when I came back for it. My friend probably held it for me to see what kind of programs I was making.He's good at programming but not as good as me!He better not touch anything!! Mad

I'll notify you guys when I can start again, in the mean time...keep pouring on the advice! Very Happy
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:27:41 am    Post subject:

Someone stole my Ti84 graphing calc!!! Mad Im gonna kill them!!!Its a good thing i backed it all up to my comp though i didn't update recently....Dammit!!!from practically the beginning, i'll have to start!!!Oh well, I'll start again when I get a TI84 SE tonight. I'm having trouble with the battle system though, does anyone know how I can learn asm quickly for the TI84? :confused: Last time someone gave me a link and it was for the TI86!!!!!!!!!If I can learn to make sprites and stuff in asm then i'll be completely overjoyed!! Razz Thanks! Very Happy The stupid thing is that the Ans thing still slows down my calc, whats going on!? Cool
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:45:17 am    Post subject:

"...The stupid thing is that the Ans thing still slows down my calc, whats going on!?"

I don't think it's your use of the Ans variable that's slowing down your program. Have you attempted to time the various parts of your program, or compared it with a version of your program that eschews the use of the Ans variable?

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement