This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 11 Sep 2005 10:46:12 pm    Post subject:

I thought I might share this with you guys.The ultimate tutorial...
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 12:23:41 am    Post subject:

ehhh It's ok .. If you want to make console games using a weird external graphics library (even though many people use allegro.) I don't think theres much use in learning how to use that library for console games when you could learn the win32 api instead, and make actual games.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 03:13:35 am    Post subject:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/ > all
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 09:00:36 am    Post subject:

sound nice, but I think I'll stay with calcs for the moment and hope I get back motivation to code, there are way too many people who left TI programming (BASIC and ASM) in 2005 Neutral Cool Surprised :sick:
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 11:10:17 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
ehhh It's ok .. If you want to make console games using a weird external graphics library (even though many people use allegro.) I don't think theres much use in learning how to use that library for console games when you could learn the win32 api instead, and make actual games.  [post="55784"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The whole point of using allegro is because its cross platform. Games can be ported to other OS's much easier. Umm...what makes you think you can't make "actual games" with allegro? Allegro can be used in win32 apps and dos console progs. I really don't get your point...

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2005 04:46:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 12:19:21 pm    Post subject:

Why learn some crappy, less known library, when you can learn an actual, well used library? One that is cross-platform such as OpenGL, if you want cross-platform capability. It's like ... why would you ride a bike across the country, when you could ride a motorcycle? No use wasting time learning something that you'll eventually have to give up anyways, if you actually want to go somewhere.

[EDIT] - How many professional games do you know that use Allegro? None. If you want to go somewhere, don't bother learning it. If you dont plan on going far, and just want to mess around, go for it.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2005 12:20:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 05:37:39 pm    Post subject:

lloydkirk1989 wrote:
I thought I might share this with you guys.The ultimate tutorial...  [post="55780"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

God that site is ugly.

Arcane Wizard wrote:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ > all  [post="55790"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, the actual "Red Book" is the best for OpenGL

JoeImp wrote:
Why learn some crappy, less known library, when you can learn an actual, well used library? One that is cross-platform such as OpenGL, if you want cross-platform capability. It's like ... why would you ride a bike across the country, when you could ride a motorcycle? No use wasting time learning something that you'll eventually have to give up anyways, if you actually want to go somewhere.

[EDIT] - How many professional games do you know that use Allegro? None. If you want to go somewhere, don't bother learning it. If you dont plan on going far, and just want to mess around, go for it.  [post="55804"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Old DOS games used allegro. Im sure some things on happypenguin use Allegro. Its is a game library after all. Professional/Commercial games nowadays use OpenGL or DirectX tho.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Sep 2005 06:22:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 12 Sep 2005 06:47:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Old DOS games used allegro

Exactly. If you want to make old crappy DOS/console games, go for it.

And ... I'm done. Unless someone quotes me, and argues more. Then I shall be back. But until then, I'm done.
CoBB

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 12:14:10 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Exactly. If you want to make old crappy DOS/console games, go for it.

No. If you want to make a DOS game, use assembly and do everything yourself. Graphics cards are all VESA compatible or can be fixed to be using UniVBE, so there's a single (and simple) interface to care about even at that level.

(How can you make an 'old' game?)
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 07:09:12 am    Post subject:

as long as the game is good I dont really care (god this reminds me the BASIC vs. ASM debates or TIGCC vs. ETP Studio debates), as long as the game is compatible with as many platform as possible though
One_Fast_Kid

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:25:40 pm    Post subject:

I recommend '3D Game Programming All In One' (3DGPAI1). It starts the user off with a scripting language and works in basic modeling/texturing/etc and it advances its way to c++-like language and advanced modeling/artwork. Good book, however some of the material on the cd was corrupted for me.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:27:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
scripting language

Quote:
C++ game programming

Also, this topic isn't geared towards 3D... Link?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 05:37:18 pm    Post subject:

I don't get it, why does everyone want to do everything half-assed now-a-days. I can't understand it. Do it right in the first place, jeez.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 06:02:25 pm    Post subject:

I need to put the petal to the metal and just learn the win32api. The actuall c++ isn't very hard.
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 09:38:21 pm    Post subject:

Ok, lets straighten this thing out. OpenGL is just a graphics library, probably the best one out there but the fact still remains. You need to use a ton of other libraries to make a decent game. Not to mention, it is realy complicated. I've taken calculus and I still find it confusing. To be honest, I would rather spend time doing my homework. I don't need a second math class. Lastly, its intended for 3D, which doesn't mean you can't use it for 2D, but its better to use a library intended for what you're doing. Im not a huge fan of 3D games anyways. I like 2D better, don't ask me why, I just do. A library like SDL is perfect for a 2D game. You can use OpenGL alongside it too. Win32 api is good to learn, and it has to be used for basic functions like opening a window in any library on a win32 platform, but don't get too dependent on it. If you ever intend to be a *unix man, gtk is the way to go.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 19 Sep 2005 10:34:51 pm    Post subject:

I disagree with everything you said. But to keep this from being just flames, I will not post in this thread again. If people have usefull information they want to share, go ahead. If it keeps on going like this, and there's no point for this thread, I shall lock it.

Now, continue on without me, if there's still information to discuss.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 02:18:17 am    Post subject:

lloydkirk seems to have confused could with need.

You don't need a ton of libraries to make a "decent" game. Just look at all the succesfull internet games, do you think any of them use any third party libraries at all? What about flash or java games, there are some very good games out there written in flash actionscript that don't use any libraries at all either. Java games might use Java3D to get OpenGL functionality, Java3D isn't a ton of libraries. These games wheren't written in php, flash, or java because they couldn't be written without a ton of libraries, nor because they couldn't be written in php/flash/java either.

The same applies to C game programming, use libraries if you need them. You most likely do not.

On a side-note, I don't see how OpenGL is intended for 3D graphics. It is intended to provide a fast interface to the graphics hardware, making 3D graphics usable, but intense 2D graphics as well. And 2D graphics can get very intense. So intense even, that they need the raw power of these libraries.

Hey, there's that word again, need.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Sep 2005 02:27:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 08:03:30 am    Post subject:

the title of the topic should be changed to "C++ lib/tutorial debate thread"
lloydkirk1989

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 12:22:20 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp: Since you have nothing to say please don't post. You're the one has shown a lack of maturity, swearing, talking "half-assed". Just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have to get so pissed off. It also doesn't mean Im wrong. Seriously, if the subject has such emotional significance to you, maybe you should ignore the thread. I didn't intend for this topic to be a debate and thats what occured when you entered it. Im sorry, you can't just knock what people say without decent reason.

ArcaneWizzard: OpenGL does not have support for multimedia, such as audio or video. You have to use other libs along side it. You need to learn how to not take words out of context. I specificaly meant C++ with OpenGL, not flashy javy other games. And if you don't know that OpenGL was designed for 3d gfx, then you never will.
And ... I'm done. Unless someone quotes me, and argues more. Then I shall be back. But until then, I'm done. Laughing
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 12:43:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a C++ programmer, but I think the debate element of this topic was completely pointless.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement