This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 05:48:33 am    Post subject:

For those who have signed up for the Basic Contest we are officially kicking off the beginning now. Please read the official contest rules before you begin programming.

Additionally we will continue to allow more programmers to signup for the Basic contest under the condition they understand and accept they're at a disadvantage since the signup grace period has ended, and programming progress is taking place by those who signed up on time.

For those who have logged into the contest tracker you will notice the Notes section, nobody but you can any read notes you make in there. This tools is in place to assist you in managing your ideas for your entry. Additionally you will find you are now able to upload files, this is to help you manage parts of your project on the go. Each participant will only have access to the files associated with the project ID, and these are not available to the judges until after the contest deadline of January 9th, 2006, as listed in the rules.

You are welcome to contact myself directly via email or forum PM regarding any questions with the contest rules, please be patient and I will respond.

Happy Programming.

--AlienCC
kylekatarn

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 06:53:38 am    Post subject:

The rules say the deadline is january the 1st 2005, wich is a mistake.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 09:41:17 am    Post subject:

Now its says: "Deadline:
Contest Entries will be accepted into the provided contest program tracker up until January 9, 2005 23:59 (MST)".
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 10:45:49 am    Post subject:

perhaps it should say January 9, 2006. Anyway, will points be taken off for using Pic files or Asm routines, or perhaps bonus points for those who dont use them?
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 12:45:06 pm    Post subject:

expanitory < explanatory
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 12:51:03 pm    Post subject:

Does "You are not, however, allowed to make a clone of an already existing game." mean an existing calculator game, or any existing game (board, computer, game system...)?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 03:25:28 pm    Post subject:

I see there's no removing notes.

Not that I care as this case is confidential, but you know how well I respond to my making any typos. :biggrin:

Eek... Neutral
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 09:50:18 pm    Post subject:

(1)Do puzzle-type games count as strategy?

(2)
Quote:
# You are allowed allowed to use routines for menus, collision detection, etc. that were written by another author, as long as you have documented permission and credit the author for these routines. GNU, GPL, and other Open Source routines will be accepted. There is a limit of 3 routines that were written by other author(s).
The following routines from assembly libraries can be used:
- Any sprite display routines. This does not include XLib's DrawTileMap routine.
- Any routines for Direct Input or other key input.
- Routines to turn the Run Indicator on and off. Use or nonuse of the Run Indicator will not be a factor in evaluating programs.
- Routines to Clear, Invert, or Blacken the whole screen.
The only assembly routines that can be used are those that have been uploaded to ticalc.org or unitedti.org as of the start of the contest.
Surprised me there. Is that list all-inclusive? If not, would ASM menus for examplebe acceptable? Maze generators? Cursor programs? Where is the line drawn? I didn't really think this was supposed to be a "cram cool ASM features" into a basic shell contest. It does leave 83 users at a slight disadvantage if 83+ users can use Omnicalc.

(3)
Quote:
(10 Points) Game includes sourcecode, complied game and is packaged correctly.
Does an unlocked program count as source? Or do we need it in ASCII?

(4)OK, last question for everyone who's entering:
Since there are points given for saving games, and usually the best way to save is a list, do we want to agree on a way of saving so that the games will not use the same lists? Maybe everyone could use L<tracking ID> instead of LSAVE so that there aren't any conficts?
axcho

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 10:51:55 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like I could actually enter I program I have already started making, since I haven't released any of them yet. But I will start a new project for the contest. Will we get any recognition for using only our own pure basic routines? It doesn't sound like it. Well, I give everyone permission to use the routines that I've released here.

I think for saving I would just use the name of the program as the name of the save list.

Are old graphics allowed?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Sep 2005 01:33:54 am; edited 1 time in total
appleyardsk8

Posted: 01 Sep 2005 10:57:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The memory will be reset prior to testing each program.

think this means that we dont have to worry about conflicts
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 03:51:09 am    Post subject:

I am a bit in doubt about the assembly routines. We probably can't use Apps as libs (like Xlib or Omnicalc?)? And can we make our own libs as long as they're one of the things described in the rules? Like a custom sprite routine?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 09:46:05 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
I am a bit in doubt about the assembly routines. We probably can't use Apps as libs (like Xlib or Omnicalc?)? And can we make our own libs as long as they're one of the things described in the rules? Like a custom sprite routine?  [post="55168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Only if they've already been submitted to UTI or ticalc.org archives...

appleyardsk8:
It's not the testing part that would produce a conflict, I was thinking for after the contest, when these games are realesed. They should be good overall games, and I'm sure people will download them after the contest because of the publicity. It would suck if these games weren't compatable for saving. Naming the list after the program would probably work as well as the Unique ID, but might be longer. And what if two people create warcraft for example?
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 10:54:26 am    Post subject:

Will we get bonus points for using pure BASIC with no libs at all? Same for fewer pics/lists/programs?
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 12:21:07 pm    Post subject:

can we use routines to archive/unarchive things as it was not mentioned...and has a big effect on how large games can be...also, in routines.txt, do we only post basic code and its author...or do we also post all ASM code from the premade ASM routines/programs pretaining to said function as well?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 12:21:35 pm    Post subject:

I pm'd that question to AlienCC. anyway my save data has the name of the game...cant tell you what that is though.....there ar 36^5 legal list names. Im sure we wont have a whole lot of trouble avoiding each other. last list's are definitely the best becuase they are the only variables other than programs that you can define, and basic programs cant define new programs
artraid

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 01:26:45 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that's awesome, you allow ASM libs in a contest for TI-85 and TI-86 too

At least just make it clear that it's for 83/4+ only a it, don't you realize at all the clear disadvantage that the 83/85/86 are put at?
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 03:49:00 pm    Post subject:

All of those can run assembly programs.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 04:26:49 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
(1)Do puzzle-type games count as strategy?
What do puzzle games have to do with strategy?!?
Quote:
(2)
Quote:
# You are allowed allowed to use routines for menus, collision detection, etc. that were written by another author, as long as you have documented permission and credit the author for these routines. GNU, GPL, and other Open Source routines will be accepted. There is a limit of 3 routines that were written by other author(s).
The following routines from assembly libraries can be used:
- Any sprite display routines. This does not include XLib's DrawTileMap routine.
- Any routines for Direct Input or other key input.
- Routines to turn the Run Indicator on and off. Use or nonuse of the Run Indicator will not be a factor in evaluating programs.
- Routines to Clear, Invert, or Blacken the whole screen.
The only assembly routines that can be used are those that have been uploaded to ticalc.org or unitedti.org as of the start of the contest.
Surprised me there. Is that list all-inclusive?
Yes.
Quote:
(3)
Quote:
(10 Points) Game includes sourcecode, complied game and is packaged correctly.
Does an unlocked program count as source? Or do we need it in ASCII?
I think that's left over from the assembly rules...

Quote:
(4)OK, last question for everyone who's entering:
Since there are points given for saving games, and usually the best way to save is a list, do we want to agree on a way of saving so that the games will not use the same lists?  Maybe everyone could use L<tracking ID> instead of LSAVE so that there aren't any conficts?  [post="55159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I usually use more descriptive names anyway, it's kind of a good idea, but I don't think a standard for save game names would work (there's over 80 participants and how many of them won't read this topic?)

Last edited by Guest on 05 Sep 2005 01:16:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
necro

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 06:05:11 pm    Post subject:

again...are archive/unarchive routines forbiden?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Sep 2005 07:17:56 pm    Post subject:

A lot of these questions can be answered by thinking about the posted rules just a little bit, then making your best judgement. One of the main purposes of these contests is to help everyone involved grow their skills at programming, decision making, and more. Of course there is always the purpose of programming really cool games, and winning a free prize!

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 13 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement