This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 09:54:46 am    Post subject:

Hello,

Thanks largely inpart to Shadowing & DrthAndroid (Telroth), I got the Knoppix 3.9 ISO on to a CD, and booted it. Unfortunately, when I booted it from the CD, I was unable to access the internet... Koolmansam375 gave me this link, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it! So if anyone can help, I've given as much info as I can below.

My ISP is VerizonDSL, a Westell VersaLink Model 327W router plugs into the phoneline in my room. It then connects wirelessly to my laptop.

You can see my Device Manager here.

Again, I'm still booting from the CD- I'm not dual-booting until I get on the internet (well, maybe not... Smile.

If you need any additional information let me know.
Thanks again to Shadowing, DrthAndroid, Koolmansam375, and basicly everyone on IRC for the past two days. If I forgot you, let me know by PM.
Please help! Anything would be appreciated... including another linux distro that would cooperate with my router.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jul 2005 10:04:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 11:02:43 am    Post subject:

Maybe is you give us the propertys of each network device on both Windows, and Knoppix. To me, thats all it sounds like it a configuration problem.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 04:36:44 pm    Post subject:

Check with dell for a Dell 1350 WLAN network driver for Linux.

Tell them you want a urpmi, rpm, or tar.gz package
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 11:08:11 pm    Post subject:

wow, respect to DELL!!!! I've never heard of a hardware company actually providing drivers for linux (!) they usually leave that up to the open source community to make.

I'd agree with raster though it is probably a configure problem, additionally linux won't always auto detect changes in the environment such as: network cable plugged in/out, wireless network available / not available, usb device plugged in/out etc. One often manually has to connect to the network and such.

I must admit I don't remember the ins and outs of the knoppix config tool, so unless you post a few screenshots I'd not be able to help you.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 02:16:57 am    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
wow, respect to DELL!!!! I've never heard of a hardware company actually providing drivers for linux (!) they usually leave that up to the open source community to make.

I'd agree with raster though it is probably a configure problem, additionally linux won't always auto detect changes in the environment such as: network cable plugged in/out, wireless network available / not available, usb device plugged in/out etc. One often manually has to connect to the network and such.

I must admit I don't remember the ins and outs of the knoppix config tool, so unless you post a few screenshots I'd not be able to help you.
[post="53656"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Um, Linux almost always detects changes in its environment. For example, it definatly detects whether or not its network cable is pulled and whether or not Wireless Network is Avaialbe. It also (depending on kernel and driver) detects when USB Device is plugged in and out. You typically have USB support in 2.4 and newer and if the USB HotPlug Demon is running, it will detect if something is added or removed from USB!

Yes, one must manually connect to the network one time! You have to connect the cable you know. And configure whether you want a Static IP or a Dynamic IP...

After that, Linux will bring up all of its network connections on its own unless you tell it you don't want it to do that. It is just like Windows when it comes to networking, except its network implementation is a lot more versitile. For instance, it can even be renamed without needing a reboot!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement