This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jul 2005 05:46:01 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone know how you can change the msn, internet, and some other folder thing on the desktop. I've changed my computer, recycle bin and my documents but how do you change the others?
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Jul 2005 06:44:42 pm    Post subject:

Right click, properties, change icon. (I believe it's on the second tab)

Spyderbyte

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jul 2005 10:13:17 pm    Post subject:

That doesn't work with all.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jul 2005 11:11:33 pm    Post subject:

As a desktop icon, MSN would likely be nothing more than a shortcut.
Right-click » Properties » Change Icon…

By "Internet" I'm going to assume you mean your browser icon. In that case, same answer.

I recommend trying TuneUp Utilities to see what that is capable of.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jul 2005 11:13:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 02:10:19 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Does anyone know how you can change the msn, internet, and some other folder thing on the desktop. I've changed my computer, recycle bin and my documents but how do you change the others?
[post="53896"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

to change the folders you would fire up regedit and modify the keys:
[\\HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Folder\DefaultIcon]
[\\HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Directory\DefaultIcon]

Insted of the %systemroot%\system\shell32.dll you specify the path to your xp icons

a word of warning: modifying the registry can be dangerous!!! modifying the wrong keys in the wrong place can make windows unusable!!! These modifications are harmless, but take care (!!!!) if you modify other registry keys (not recommended!!)

@Jbirk and Newbie, as I stated earlier it is not possible to use the windows XP startup logo with win9x, so if you wish to make it look like winXP you are going to have to make the startup logo yourself. Newbie you could use the program I sent you (to everyone else: I sent him a program to make animated startup logos for win9x, if anyone else wants it, just ask)

changing win9x to look like winXP can easily be done using windowblinds, one thing to note however most computers run extremely slow when using this skinning utility. Nevertheless, I recommend you try the shareware version and see for yourself how your computer will handle it.

Mac readers should try kaleidoscope it is a skinning utility for mac, that I found rather great when I had mac, change everything to your favorite colors and design, and as opposed to windowblinds it does not (or at least did not when I had it) slow your computer down noticeably.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jul 2005 02:11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 08:23:39 pm    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
changing win9x to look like winXP can easily be done using windowblinds, one thing to note however most computers run extremely slow when using this skinning utility. Nevertheless, I recommend you try the shareware version and see for yourself how your computer will handle it.

Mac readers should try kaleidoscope it is a skinning utility for mac, that I found rather great when I had mac, change everything to your favorite colors and design, and as opposed to windowblinds it does not (or at least did not when I had it) slow your computer down noticeably.
[post="53905"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Windowblinds does not slow my computer down at all, but I am using version 4.5, which makes use of the same API's that the Windows XP native skinning engine uses, it uses little more ram then not having it loaded, and the main difference is I don't feel like my desktop is so ugly that I need to vomit. Windowblinds should run almost as well on Windows 2000, it is only on the deprecated Windows 9x series that you will have significant performance impact if you're running the latest and greatest versions of Windowblinds.

--AlienCC
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Aug 2005 04:58:41 am    Post subject:

I was infact talking about Newbie's win98, and on win9x any version of windowblinds slows the computer down, old as new versions.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Aug 2005 05:15:29 am    Post subject:

Technically yes, practically no, you won't notice the performance change unless you're running on such outdated hardware you shouldn't be using XP in the first place.

At least I didn't have any slowdown when I used windowblinds on my P3, and that was only version 3.2 or so I believe.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement