This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 04:50:01 pm    Post subject:

It isn't a program it is a Windows Operating System. There is no Upgrade path either.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 05:01:13 pm    Post subject:

If I maxed out my old computer with ram sadly to say only 256 megs, how well do you think windows xp would run on it?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 07:16:30 pm    Post subject:

If it has a 500mhz CPU or so and a 16 MB videocard or better it'll run very well.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jul 2005 07:16:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 07:56:56 pm    Post subject:

My CPU runs at 600 mhz and I plan on getting a 256meg video card.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 11:10:35 pm    Post subject:

EDIT: I've had winXP on a 500mhz, 128mb ram, and that ran at nearly the same speed as win98.

Newbie wrote:
What. Are you saying I could possibly but this on win98SE?
Where is this program available for download?
[post="53683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, you cannot put anything on win98SE. Be satisfied with win98 or get XP there is no inbetween.

No matter what you do to your win98SE it will never look and/or feel like windows XP, because if something looks and feels (and smells) like something then all odds say it is that something and windows is NOT XP, a fine product yes in its time and space but windows XP never.

The way that win98 works and works good is when you do not care for the extras of XP

To clarify:

+

=

Not

!!! Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jul 2005 11:18:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 02:05:45 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
If it has a 500mhz CPU or so and a 16 MB videocard or better it'll run very well.
[post="53690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It will run well on that configureation provided you don't actually run any software on top of XP. XP alone should be fine. If you run anything with XP, forget it. It will be too slow.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 02:08:10 am    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
EDIT: I've had winXP on a 500mhz, 128mb ram, and that ran at nearly the same speed as win98.

Newbie wrote:
What. Are you saying I could possibly but this on win98SE?
Where is this program available for download?
[post="53683"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, you cannot put anything on win98SE. Be satisfied with win98 or get XP there is no inbetween.

No matter what you do to your win98SE it will never look and/or feel like windows XP, because if something looks and feels (and smells) like something then all odds say it is that something and windows is NOT XP, a fine product yes in its time and space but windows XP never.

The way that win98 works and works good is when you do not care for the extras of XP

To clarify:

+

=

Not

!!! Laughing
[post="53712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You are making me fell sorry for you. I almost feel sorry enough to give you a copy of XP.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 03:00:42 am    Post subject:

Before I got this laptop almost a year ago I had a P3 500mhz with 128mb RAM and a TNT2 16mb videocard. It ran Windows XP and I could use it for anything I wanted except most newer games (though I did get Unreal Tournament 2004 to run smoothly in small/indoor maps on that system, gosh we had some fun that day.)

I gave that system to my sister and last I checked it was still running fine on Windows XP, haven't even had to reformat yet and she doesn't really know how to keep spy/adware and virusses out.

I've seen Windows XP installed on plenty of systems similar to yours, 600mhz and 128-256mb RAM, all running smoothly.

It'll run more than just fine, though you'll really need to keep the adware stuff out.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 04:14:09 am    Post subject:

Bullshit!

XP will not run fine on a 600 Mhz computer with 256 mb ram.

Serriously.

To have a computer be useful, you need to be able to login to a network, run network based programs for pushing policy, distributing applications...
The computer needs to be able to browse the web, work on word processing, and have email open.

I am not saying the computer couldn't do these things. I am simply saying you put XP in a tight spot asking it to do too much with too little on a system like that. Typically, when you ask it to actually start some services like Anti Virus, and a Network Logon Client... you more than double what it has to do to start up.

It will start sounding like a Coffee Grinder with the hard drive constantly thrashing. On 256 MB RAM, it will need a hudge swap file and as a result will be paging in and paging out data continuously just to keep itself idle.

I have seen it.

Take me for instance. A fairly average user (most of the time), who actually multitasks in Windows.

ON MY LAPTOP (XP):

I took two screenshots of what I am doing now. One showing maximum memory usage, which was Firefox at 90 Megs (Probably because I have 6 tabs open), I also have notepad, and Gaim (Instant Messenging) running. I have Norton Internet Security, A process Belonging to Adobe Acrobat Pro for SpeedLaunch, One for My touchpad, another for my Wireless Mouse, One for Office... Point is I know what each one is and I am fairly certain (99.3%) that I am free of Spyware and Adware. I haven't scanned recently, but I just don't do things to cuase trouble.

The second screenshot shows Max CPU usage. Not very high. My system idles fine when under tremendous load because I have enough RAM available. The hard drive never pages, since I have only a 2 MB Swap File (The Min Windows would let me have).

Last, I took a not so typical screenshot of my Task Manager when I am running a Virtual Computer via VMWARE running Windows Server 2003 in the VMWare. It actually shows a process taking up over 1 GB memory! However, I do at least weekly use > 1 GB memory! Either for encoding video or running virtual computers for purposes on my network.

The point is, my typical usage is a little bit more tan 512 MB memory, and that is fine with me because memory is cheap. I have only $400 or $500 memory in my laptop. It is maxed out. :P

To make a long story short, I like to configure my desktops and laptops similar to how I would configure a server. I make them very efficient at running multiple processes!

ON MY SERVER (2003):

My Best computer is a Duel Processor 2 X Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz, and 4 GB ram. Expandable to 8 GB. What is the best sound card and Video card on the market? I already have 2 NICS 1 is a Broadcom 570x 10/100/100 H/F Duplex, and the other is aftermarket 3Com Gigabit Fiber-SX Server NIC (3C996-SX) Network Adapter. My Fiber Optic Nic was about $500, but is is awsome.

This box is currently running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server on my Home Network, and does not have a monitor attached. It is hosting, DHCP, DNS, Internet Connection sharing, Routing and Remote Access (for my experimentations), and is Hosting Active Directory services too.

I would like to know of a killer Video Card and Sound Card and speakers. Don't worry what it costs, just post any suggestions. I am going to try and run my games at 300 FPS or so, and I don't want any LAG when running them at 1920 x 1400 on my 21" LCD. Also, I need a very good Dolby 5.1 Surround setup. Any suggestions?

Pictures below are from my laptop above showing my average usage and then extreme usage in the last one!

Last edited by Guest on 21 Jul 2005 04:31:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 05:13:40 am    Post subject:

Yes, it'll need a "huge" (I don't think 1GB is huge, but whatever) swap file and yes it'll be paging data around a lot, but that doesn't mean the system will be unusable, far from it.

I can go downstairs, and make a screenshot of Adobe Acrobat, Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger, MS Word, and Firefox, all running fine if you want to see what a 500mhz system with 128mb RAM can handle, including measured times for alt-tabbing, if I can hit my stopwatch fast enough.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 09:31:17 am    Post subject:

I have a laptop with 400mhz PII and 256mb ram with 8-16mb video ram and windows xp. it handles stuff like dreamweaver/flash mx 2004 fine, including firefox in the background for testing the stuff i am working on. No it isnt as fast as my P4, but it isnt altogether unuseable. Photoshop runs fine, assiming I dont have more than 120 undos and the image isnt something like 1600x1200.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 09:32:33 am    Post subject:

i've seen 130 mhz comps run windows xp. That took like forever to boot, but it worked.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 01:54:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bullshit! XP will not run fine on a 600 Mhz computer with 256 mb ram. Serriously.

Check out the attachment.
I've only crashed it like 3 times, and that includes running stuff like photoshop, rendering animations on Blender (3D program), FF, etc all at once. I also keep close watch on what I'm running and don't run bs progs like weatherbuddy (or w/e that thing's name is).

I'm gonna see if I can purposely crash it, hahaha...

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 05:15:56 pm    Post subject:

I was just wanting to know if windows 98se could look like xp not perform like it. I have a computer with xp on it, its just that with the older computer I thought you might be able to do something to make it look like xp but obviously not. Its ok if it cant I was just wondering.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 05:48:00 pm    Post subject:

Well to answer your question, yes.

You can actually edit autoexec.bat and put @echo off at the start

Then after each command > nul

the first prevents the command from being written on the screen.

The > nul should suppress any text from being put on the screen.

Now, you just need to figure otu how to display an xp boot screen.

I don't see why you want to do this though.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 06:18:06 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Quote:
Bullshit! XP will not run fine on a 600 Mhz computer with 256 mb ram. Serriously.

Check out the attachment.
I've only crashed it like 3 times, and that includes running stuff like photoshop, rendering animations on Blender (3D program), FF, etc all at once. I also keep close watch on what I'm running and don't run bs progs like weatherbuddy (or w/e that thing's name is).

I'm gonna see if I can purposely crash it, hahaha...
[post="53739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is a 600 mHz Athlon processor though, it probably compares favorably to a 1 gHz or higher Pentium. :biggrin:

My old computer had an intel celeron processor from around the time of the PII, I think it was 500 or maybe 600 mHz. I had a whopping 96 mb of ram, and bogged my system down with a 60 gb harddrive. I am fairly patient, but I don't remember everything being overly slow, even when two or even three users were logged on. (I'm sure virtual memory was working overtime :biggrin:) With 256 megs of ram you should be set.

On the other hand, for the amount it sounds like you're willing to spend, you could upgrade your barebones setup first. My 64 bit AMD 3000+ (socket 939 so its upgrade ready), matching mobo, and a gig of ram cost me a hair over three hundred all together. You could then save money on your graphics card with an AGP slot, and use your existing case, hard drive and power supply. Then you'd really be set! :biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Spyderbyte

Oh and Brazucs: I think you're thinking of the weatherbug. I learned my lesson about the download, but the site's pretty useful. One of the stations is within a few miles of my house. :biggrin
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 06:34:25 pm    Post subject:

I recomend you stay away from weatherbug! It is adware/spyware of some sort.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 09:20:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah, it is... and now it's coming with AIM. That's why I switched to Gaim.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 09:42:48 am    Post subject:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.weatherbug.html wrote:
Note: Versions 6.4.0.9 and onward are not considered Adware.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 10:40:34 am    Post subject:

Meh... I still think it's a waist of memory having it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement