This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 04:07:22 am    Post subject:

I've actually heard that Ad-a-ware sees similar (like spybot) programs as bad. Are they afraid for competition maybe?

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jul 2005 04:07:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 04:35:51 am    Post subject:

I've heard that too, but I've never seen AdAware whine about Spybot so I don't really think that's true.

I use:
taskmngr.exe
msconfig.exe
del (command.com)
attrib.exe

:)

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jul 2005 04:38:13 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 02:06:18 pm    Post subject:

JBirk: In that order?

leofox wrote:
I've actually heard that Ad-a-ware sees similar (like spybot) programs as bad. Are they afraid for competition maybe?
I think it detects the dummy spyware in the spybot S&D folder. Spybot gives you a message if you have ad-aware installed, but I turned it off so I don't remember exactly what it is.

<side note>Wow, lots of activity in 3 weeks. It's good to be back</side note>
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 06:03:51 pm    Post subject:

If you quarantine SpyWare, the other program will detect spyware in the quarantine folder. That is all.

Both Ad-Aware and Spybot Are legit programs

One of my favorites is HiJackThis

As for my AntiVirus/spyware, the order isn't that important. I just listed some I know to be good products.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 02:28:21 am    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Me too. But this is a program that comes with Windows and is on microsoft.com.
I would give you my car if it installs viruses (89 Accord Razz ).
[post="53788"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You said it yourself, it installs windows!!! the largest virus known to man :biggrin: Very Happy Very Happy

Arcane Wizard wrote:
I've heard that too, but I've never seen AdAware whine about Spybot so I don't really think that's true.

I use:
taskmngr.exe
msconfig.exe
del (command.com)
attrib.exe

:)
[post="53796"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

what on earth would you use attrib.exe for? what useful function does that provide? :confused:

btw, I use the same progs except instead of attrib.exe read regedit.exe

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jul 2005 02:29:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 03:46:18 am    Post subject:

..and regedit.exe

attrib -r removes read-only better than windows will ever be able to.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 04:11:42 pm    Post subject:

help attrib at the command line will tell you all about it.

Anyway.

you use - or + depending on whether you want to set or remove an atrribute.

For example attrib -r -h -a -s file.ext

You can also use it with wildcards

attrib -r *.*

That is a lot faster than right clicking on all the files in a folder and manually removing the read only attribute.

Last but not least, there is cacls for NTFS

It will let you manage NTFS permissions from the commadn prompt.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jul 2005 11:17:11 pm    Post subject:

What's the difference between FAT32 and NTFS? I don't see much after I changed my D: drive... but then again I don't do much with it.
shadowing