This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 01:55:54 am    Post subject:

Why not get a 180 day trial version of Widnows from Microsoft?

I know I would. You can get a 180 day trial version of Windows Server SP1 an d a 180 day trila of R2.

You install and within 14 days do online activation.

Near the end of teh 180 days, you install R2 then reboot and activate online.

You should be able to theoretically hold off for a year. Within which time, you can download another 180 day trial and deactivate windows without rebooting then change your product key.

Reboot

Click activate online and bingo you are set for another 180 days...

You can just keep postponing actually buying it and prolonging your eval.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 05:58:23 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't use format c: /q as it doesn't always do a clean job, making windows (extra) faulty. Be patient, do a full format: format c:

Jbirk is right, you would like xcopy, but unfortunately it doesn't come with win98, at least it is not present in my install. As far as I know, it is only included in the NT versions of windows (NT/2k/XP/2k3)

you would also like xxcopy, even better, but this does not come with any version of windows, to get it: www.xxcopy.com it is free for non-commercial use.
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 09:43:52 am    Post subject:

I suggest either Linux or Windows XP. No drivers needed Smile

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 11:45:40 am    Post subject:

I know if I reinstall win98 the attache will not work but why is it it doesn't work when there company said it should work fine with windows 98SE?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 12:37:38 pm    Post subject:

Because the company earns money when you think it works.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jul 2005 06:40:52 pm    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
I wouldn't use format c: /q as it doesn't always do a clean job, making windows (extra) faulty. Be patient, do a full format: format c:

Jbirk is right, you would like xcopy, but unfortunately it doesn't come with win98, at least it is not present in my install. As far as I know, it is only included in the NT versions of windows (NT/2k/XP/2k3)

you would also like xxcopy, even better, but this does not come with any version of windows, to get it: www.xxcopy.com it is free for non-commercial use.
[post="53206"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Xcopy does come with windows 98! When you make your startup disk, you will need to copy it to your disk though! I belive it is xcopy.exe. It even comes with DOS!

BTW, format c: /q has never failed me. I belive it simply erases the File Allocation Table. Overall, unless you actually have a disk surface error, I don't see why you would sit through a full format. As far as Windows 98 being extra faulty, it always is, but not because of its file system. FAT32 is not a very good filesystem, but it gets the job done.

I mean even a quick format will fix most file system errors including corrupt files, cross linked files, missing files (no need to find them)...

I would

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jul 2005 06:47:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 12:06:44 pm    Post subject:

be my guest, I'm just stating I wouldn't :)

about the xcopy, I guess I just deleted it accidentally some time then Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement