This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 02:46:11 pm    Post subject:

I popped in a dvd with avi's on it to watch some movies today. Not in dvd format, just a dvd with movies on it. I double clicked on the drive's icon in explorer to open it up, and to my surprise, dvd decrypter opens instead. I dont want it to open with dvd decrypter, I want it to open with explorer.

So I go to folder options, and I look through every file type, and theres nowhere to set what a dvd opens with.

Next thing I do is open dvd decrypter, go into the settings, and tell it not to load dvds. So I open up my computer, double click the drive, and an error comes up telling me it cant find "program.exe", and I can browse for where it's located if I want.

So I point it towards explorer in C:\windows\, then double click it again. Now I get this error: "The path '/MODE READ /SOURCE F:\' does not exist or is not a directory" wtf?

Now im going to rename explorer, so that when I double click it, it will hopefully tell me it can't find something, then I can point it back towards dvd decrypter. Any ideas how I can just make it open with explorer by default?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2005 02:47:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 05:05:47 pm    Post subject:

I get a pop up from Windows XP (you forgot to mention what OS you're using) asking me if I want to open it in explorer, with some program, windows media player, etc, or do nothing at all. There's a checkbox to turn that off, so I'm guessing you need to find out how to turn it back on. : )

(and then choose explorer and not to bother you again)
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 05:20:59 pm    Post subject:

Yes, windows XP, sorry.

Where exactly do you get this popup? I can't get into an 'Open With...' menu, when I double click it, it launches DVD Decrypter, and it's not in 'file types' under folder options. Where is this popup?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 06:52:19 pm    Post subject:

It pops up when I insert the drive..

found it for ya..

Right click the drive -> click properties -> select the 'auto play' tab:
http://arcanewizard.unitedti.org/dvd_drive_properties.png

I guess you can figure out the rest from there. : )
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 08:43:11 pm    Post subject:

I go there, go to every choice from the drop down box, and set it to prompt me. Music files, pictures, video files, mixed content, music cd, dvd movie, blank cd, all set to "Prompt me each time to choose an action". Then I click on it, and dvd decrypter opens Razz Rather annoying
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Jul 2005 04:53:30 pm    Post subject:

You will need to modify the windows registry to get your dvd drive working again. The registry is where windows stores all settings, therefore it is a little touchy and we must be careful.

First I will need you to gather a little bit of information for me:
1. right click your dvd drive, write down all the given options, post them here.

2. open up regedit ( type "regedit" in the run dialog or in command promt), select "export" from the File menu. At the bottom of the save dialog paste in this "HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\DVD" (without the quotes), now save it as something, and mail the file to me or open it in notepad and post the contents here.

After that it should be a simple matter, returning your DVD drive to normal functionality Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jul 2005 05:19:46 pm    Post subject:

You could always uninstall dvd decrypter then install it again with different options after it restores default settings.

I don' t exactly know what the problem is, but you can edit the associations with regedit if you have too.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 03 Jul 2005 05:27:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks there wrigley, finally got it working. Found an entry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT called 'DVDDecrypter', and in it was some value like "Autorundvd_decrypt_default" or crap like that. Just deleted the whole folder, works perfectly fine now.

Thanks!
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Jul 2005 05:29:45 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Jul 2005 02:17:06 am    Post subject:

As you can see, that area generally controlls all of your file extentions, and actions for the various extentions in your computer.

For example, here I show you my default actions for DVD and Where they are stored in the Registry.

If we relaly want to see what happens, we can install DVDDecrypter on a test machine and trace the install to see what chnages in the registry. Obvioulsy, it adds a handler, but does not set it as defulat.

The default action (When you click on Shell) is Play on DVD in my registry. So, when a DVD is inserted, it will automatically play. I can remove the Default setting, and it will ask what to do, or I can change it and have it automatically start to rip.

I have included two pictures so you can see what I mean.

BTW, my firefox extention also has to do with HKEY_CLASS_ROOT. To be more particular, I created a CLSID for it and added it to the Desktop namespace among other things.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement