This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 02:09:27 pm    Post subject:

I recently bought a usb memory card for $20.00 from best buy, but when I pug it into my desk top I dont know how to save files to it, how do I do that?
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 03:17:34 pm    Post subject:

Which operating system do you have? Windows 95/98/2000/XP, Mac or Linux?

With windows 98/2000/XP and Mac all you have to do is plug it in and the driver should either autoinstall, or at least prompt you to install the driver. Once the driver is installed, for windows the USB-key will appear as a new drive in the My Computer, for Mac the USB-key will appear as a new drive on the desktop.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 03:18:35 pm    Post subject:

Windows 2000 and XP will automatically recognize the card and label it Removable Disk (Drive Letter) in My Computer. If you have Windows 98 or lower, you'll need to get a driver. Just search google for "(Memory card name) driver," and you should be able to find it. Install the driver, then plug in your memory card, and you should be ready to go!

Hope this helps!

Spyderbyte

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 07:02:20 pm    Post subject:

Im trying to use it on a library computer to get the 810 chipset drive I need to get my graphics to the way the were on my computer so I can install the internet, but the problem is is that the computer is not picking up the card and I'm pretty sure its running on Windows NT. Also its on a network.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 07:36:21 pm    Post subject:

One problem: Windows NT doesn't support Windows NT
(Unless you have add-on drivers that they might have gotten rid of)
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2005 03:49:01 am    Post subject:

You should get a bunch of floppies instead, then get a Filesplitter download this to one of the floppies, and use it to split your drivers up into many smaller files, that will fit on the floppies. When you have the all your split files on floppies, go home and use the program on the first floppy to unsplit them.

Unfortunately the chances are extreemely low, that you will be allowed/able to install drivers on the library computers.

Alternatively you might be able to borrow a friends computer, and he may allow you to install the drivers for your USB-key. If you pick a friend with WinXP, it should auto install the drivers, and you won't have to worry him about installing anything on his computer, simply ask him if you may borrow his internet connection to download your missing drivers.

btw. have you checked that your USB-key works with your Win98? because if it doesn't, going to a friends house woulnd't be much help
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 12:19:13 pm    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
Which operating system do you have? Windows 95/98/2000/XP, Mac or Linux?

With windows 98/2000/XP and Mac all you have to do is plug it in and the driver should either autoinstall, or at least prompt you to install the driver. Once the driver is installed, for windows the USB-key will appear as a new drive in the My Computer, for Mac the USB-key will appear as a new drive on the desktop.
[post="52155"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Win 2000/XP/Longhorn do it automatically

Win98 detects an Unknown Device, but you can install the driver
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 12:20:39 pm    Post subject:

I have the 810 Chipset driver. I will post it here sometime around Monday.

It is on a computer at work.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 03:02:52 pm    Post subject:

How do I seperate all the files onto seperate floppies? I downloaded the file but it will not allow me to open it at the library or am I suppose to do it on my own computer before I go to the library to try to download the driver?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 07:09:41 pm    Post subject:

If you are going to split filies, be sure to format all the floppy disks and run a full sandisk /chkdsk on all of them including bad sectors. I serriously have seen at least 5 or 6 bad floppies in my time where people loose data. It is very common.

You should check all your floppies and discard any of them if they have a 1 or more bad sector.

As for filesplitter, it should work, but FYI WinZip will work too. It will even compress the file so you need fewer floppies. I would still recomend you use a Memory Stick or CD rather than a handful of floppies though.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jun 2005 07:36:41 pm    Post subject:

Jbirk wrote:
You should check all your floppies and discard any of them if they have a 1 or more bad sector.[post="52249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I have a box with about 200 3.5" floppy disks in it. 10 or so work. : /
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 03:37:37 am    Post subject:

yes, i've had that too. Floppies always break, especially the cheap ones.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 05:54:51 am    Post subject:

The trick with floppies is:
NEVER use ScanDisk (the program will at times actually create bad sectors)
NEVER eject the floppy before the green LED next to it goes off.
when formatting NEVER use QuickFormat
Never delete a file on a floppy, if the file is on a bad sector (take advantage of the fact that the file is covering the bad sector so other files won't be placed there and stop working)
NEVER bend them (looking at leofox Razz )
make several copies of every file on the floppy.
Pray you have an inviolent floppydrive.

If you stik to these rules, you should be fine! Very Happy

when getting the filesplitter, you must download the one without Installer/uninstaller!
Unzip and open the filesplitter at the library computer.
Then simply browse to the location of the driver using the top "Browse" button, and browse to some directory you have write acces to, using the bottom "Browse" button.

choose custom size, and enter a size of about 50 KB
then click the split button.

when you are done, simply copy the files to floppies.

All done?? Good! now take out the last floppy, and double click on the floppydrive icon, windows will complain about the fact that there is no floppy in the drive.*
Click Cancel.
Now put in the first floppy and try to copy its contents to the harddrive of the library computer one or two files at a time.
Note which files won't copy.
Go through all your floppies like this.

when done you will have a list of files that didn't work,
you should now copy these files from the original directory to the last floppy.
take it out, double click the floppy icon, click cancel, copy the newly copied files to harddrive, as you have just done with the other floppies.
repeat this untill you have a working copy of all files.

now go home with all your floppies I assume 3/4 should be enough if the driver you need to take home is around 3-4MB

copy all your files to one directory and execute the Create_YourDriverName.exe

Jbirk wrote:
I would still recomend you use a Memory Stick or CD rather than a handful of floppies though.

You should not hope to be permitted to install any kind of software be that driver or other on the library computers, so counting on the memory stick is a bad idea.

and yes Winzip is also able to split files, but I cannot stand Winzip, imo. it is the worst junk ever to be made (sorry), besides winzip would not be able to compress your driverfile as it is high likely already compressed, using winzip would only add to the filesize.

use the method described above, and if you do it exactly as written, it cannot fail.

Good Luck

*This is done to make windows update the drive, if this is not done, the files will be copied from some windows buffer, and the actual file on the floppy will not be tested.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2005 06:01:33 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 07:10:36 am    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
The trick with floppies is:
NEVER use ScanDisk (the program will at times actually create bad sectors)
NEVER eject the floppy before the green LED next to it goes off.
when formatting NEVER use QuickFormat
Never delete a file on a floppy, if the file is on a bad sector (take advantage of the fact that the file is covering the bad sector so other files won't be placed there and stop working)
NEVER bend them (looking at leofox Razz )

make several copies of every file on the floppy.
Pray you have an inviolent floppydrive.[post="52267"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't bend them! I did break all the other rules though Razz.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2005 07:10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jun 2005 09:06:12 pm    Post subject:

I disagree with the NEVER use ScanDisk or ChkDsk.

If you are smart, you will run ScanDisk or ChkDsk after you do a full format on a floppy.

Here is why: ScanDisk or Chkdsk will run a complete sector by sector check of each sector on the floppy. This envolves reading the data that is there determining exactly what data is there and storeing it in memory. Writing all zeros and reading it back to verify all zeros are written. writing all ones and reading it back, writing all zeros again and reading it back... Finally, it writes the data back to the disk.

Obviously, if you have important data on the floppy already, do not use chkdsk or scandisk to do a full bad sector recovry/check because it will thrash the hell out of your data and only put it back correctly if the floppy is undamanged!

However, with a clean formatted disk, you have nothing to loose. Run the full scandisk/checkdisk on your disks. It will immediatly let you know if you have any bad areas on the disk and mark them as bad. If you have any bad areas, discard the disk. If not, you have over 99.9% chance of not having problems with that disk for a period of time.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 05:30:12 am    Post subject:

Jbirk, have you ever tried running a ScanDisk twice on the same floppy?

with most floppy drives (I have tried) this is what happens:

Format
check with scandisk
0 bad sectors //this one might not ever occur it varies
check with scandisk
3 bad sectors
check with scandisk
25 bad sectors
check with scandisk
67 bad sectors
check with scandisk
189 bad sectors
check with scandisk
357 bad sectors
check with scandisk
523 bad sectors
check with scandisk
1,434 bad sectors
you get the picture, so I say NEVER EVER use scandisk on floppies.

note: I have tested this on more than one computer
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 05:56:05 am    Post subject:

Wow, you can actually format your floppys?
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 06:36:16 am    Post subject:

sorry Confused ... I didn't catch that ... what does being able to format floppies have to do with bad sectors and scandisk?

did I write something grammatically incorect?

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2005 06:39:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 06:43:23 am    Post subject:

I'm suprised your floppys are in such a good condition that you can actually format them.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jun 2005 07:25:30 am    Post subject:

why?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement